Home-Defense Accessories

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by texas_teacher, May 26, 2009.

1. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Ok so our home security system decided to go besurk at 3:00 in the morning yesterday and here I am a frequenter at the range and I used to do tactical drills with my brothers and dad with airsoft but here I am clearing a house with loaded lead in my XD... Long story short I'm wondering what does every accesorize with on their clearing weapons... Tac lights? Lasers?

P.s. My cousin had unplugged the internet router's powder cord which our phone runs through, which in turn is what the security system runs through... so when the backup battery ran out inevidently the alarm starts going besurk... Oh well... work sucked that day... nice and groggy... better at work than when I've got the piece in my hands and I am going room to room...

2. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I clear the house with a flashlight my Kimber and 2 100lb Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

3. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    nice... I like the canine factor... unfortunately my shitzu would really only be a distraction to somebody...

4. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, but little dogs make better burglar alarms than most tech-driven alarms. ;)

A flashlight is a must; identify that target! I'm not talking about a Mini-Mag light, either; something bright will disorient a badguy if used properly. Just remember to try it out on a "dry" run sometime when your eyes are adjusted to the dark; it'll blind you pretty good, too.

Also, good tactics are a must. If you know someone is in the house, or are very sure of it, fort up with any family/friends and call 911. Going looking for trouble is a great way to find it. I'll only check if I'm not sure someone is there. The day I'm sure, I'm not going down those stairs: I'm staying at the top of them, having the wife dial 911, and shooting (the living hell out of) anybody who tries to come up until the police arrive. And I've got all night to wait.

5. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    That is sage advice (seriously, no pun intended......well, maybe a little pun was intended). Really, if you know somebody is in the house......limit your exposure. It's the best thing you can do for your family. If you go and get yourself shot, who will be left to protect the rest of your family? It's best to keep everyone together, dial 911, and have all guns ready in case someone tries to get to you. This is probably a good time (if there is more than 1 of you) to have add'l guns accessible for other members of the family.

I almost forgot, for the OP, I have a tac light on my pistol. I'd rather keep a shotgun or short rifle nearby......but I have not found a good spot to keep it from little hands (and still be accessible).

6. wayneside

wayneside Member

Feb 14, 2009
    tac light on my XD...and I have two additional lights next to my bed.

7. TxSteel54

TxSteel54 New Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Northeast Texas
    I clear the house with my Springfield 1911 TRP and my flash light.

Also to touch on what kingofwylietx said about having another gun accessible. I keep a sawed off 12 guage shotgun setting next to the bed for my wife with the simple instructions of "point & click"......after making sure it's not me coming back to bed of course!!!

8. Rocket_Cowboy

Rocket_Cowboy Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    Tac light on my XDM, but then I usually also have an off weapon light with me as well in case I want light somewhere other than my point of aim.

9. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Utility hooks or some sort of rack on the inside wall of a closet just above the door is what I'm going to try for the same reason.

10. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I use a TRL1 on my G19. I know there are those that say weapon mounted lights have an issue because you've got to point the gun at what you want to light up. And there is some truth to that. But, the light that I use, shines a very bright 10 circle at about 7-10 yards, with a 6 or 8 foot lower intensity circle around it. This allows you to point slightly up or down and still have enough light to see an averaged sized room. Seems to work pretty well.