img061.jpg

img045.jpg

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Is that the light that sticks off to the side? The other pic shows what looks to be a rail on the bottom so why wouldn't the light just hang down.

boycan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    Yes it is off to the side, it slides on the rail then you twist left or right to lock it onto the rail. I like it because for one thing it was $99 bucks brand new and it uses a standard AAA battery and plenty bright LED to boot? I don't think it would look good on an auto but for a big bore revolver it just adds a little more ugly kinda like a big ugly bulldog! LOL

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Yes it is off to the side, it slides on the rail then you twist left or right to lock it onto the rail. I like it because for one thing it was $99 bucks brand new and it uses a standard AAA battery and plenty bright LED to boot? I don't think it would look good on an auto but for a big bore revolver it just adds a little more ugly kinda like a big ugly bulldog! LOL

Ok I understand now. By the way how do yo like useing those moon clips?

boycan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    Ok I understand now. By the way how do yo like useing those moon clips?

They are just OK, I only have the five that came with the gun. When I get around to ordering some more I think I will like them much better. It would be nice to load up several more than I have so I wouldn't have to mess with them at the range.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sage is right as rain ... I keep a cell fone next to my 1911 and Surefire 9P ... just my wife and me, so if she's next to me, there's no reason to risk my life or hers trying to clear the house... call the cops, set up where you can see the access door to the bedroom and see what happens ... if the BG enters the room, he gets shot by me ... if the cops get there first and he doesn't surrender, he gets shot by the cops .. bad for him, but as we all know crime doesn't pay .. unless youre on wall street or are a politician ...

I will point out though, that my "fort up" gun is an AK. If I know someone's in my house, I plan on having overwhelming firepower. Living arrangement is myself and my wife, and nobody else. That makes securing my loved ones an easy task, since she'll be right next to me from the word "go". Nobody is coming through that bedroom door alive, though. Bedroom's on the second floor, and I've got nowhere to run.

If I'm not sure what the noise was (odds are good it was our cat) and decide to go check the noise out, I'm likely going to take my P220 and a light.

One other thing I think is important is practice. Unload your go-to gun and practice what you'll need to do in either situation. If you plan on checking out a noise if you're pretty sure nobody's in the house, you should still treat it like someone is in the house. Practice entering rooms without exposing yourself to areas you haven't checked yet. Make sure that you can take any tight corners without projecting your muzzle beyond the corner as this opens you up to being disarmed! Practice the effect of lighting up a room with your flashlight when your eyes are accustomed to the dark so it doesn't surprise you. Last and not least, go to the range and practice shooting; point-shooting from in front of your chest in a retention hold and if you don't have night sights point-shooting (tape your rear sight over) in a normal shooting position.

Point-shooting is very easy, but you have to get the knack of it.

You never want to say always in a "gun fight" so Texas Teacher if you are planing on your family be all secure while the room clearing going on don't, it is dangerous.
    I use a mini mag with a three bulb LED replacement (there was a tail switch but I broke it) for clearing my house. If that is not available I will go with my 3D mag light that I carry on duty, also an led. I assure you both will blind you. I will say that I do not like weapon mounted lights. If I had a weapon that would accept one I would probably have to have one. Just plan on unorganized chaos when something goes bad. I don't know what your living situation is but my family is me and my fiance and for one more month my mother and I plan on securing the intruder first then the family. But that is me you need something for you and your situation, and you and your family will need to be the ones that decide on that.

Again, I wouldn't use a Mini-mag. It might blind someone but with some of the lights mentioned above, it's not just blinding, it's literally "OH MY GOD, MY EYES ARE MELTING!!!!" painful.

My flashlight is probably the last ditch I have at not having to shoot someone. They'll either do what I tell them ("on the floor, now!"), or they're getting shot. I'd prefer not to shoot them, and hopefully the pain and confusion of my light in their face will convince them that I mean it... because I do.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I will point out though, that my "fort up" gun is an AK. If I know someone's in my house, I plan on having overwhelming firepower. Living arrangement is myself and my wife, and nobody else. That makes securing my loved ones an easy task, since she'll be right next to me from the word "go". Nobody is coming through that bedroom door alive, though. Bedroom's on the second floor, and I've got nowhere to run.

If I'm not sure what the noise was (odds are good it was our cat) and decide to go check the noise out, I'm likely going to take my P220 and a light.

One other thing I think is important is practice. Unload your go-to gun and practice what you'll need to do in either situation. If you plan on checking out a noise if you're pretty sure nobody's in the house, you should still treat it like someone is in the house. Practice entering rooms without exposing yourself to areas you haven't checked yet. Make sure that you can take any tight corners without projecting your muzzle beyond the corner as this opens you up to being disarmed! Practice the effect of lighting up a room with your flashlight when your eyes are accustomed to the dark so it doesn't surprise you. Last and not least, go to the range and practice shooting; point-shooting from in front of your chest in a retention hold and if you don't have night sights point-shooting (tape your rear sight over) in a normal shooting position.

Point-shooting is very easy, but you have to get the knack of it.

Again, I wouldn't use a Mini-mag. It might blind someone but with some of the lights mentioned above, it's not just blinding, it's literally "OH MY GOD, MY EYES ARE MELTING!!!!" painful.

My flashlight is probably the last ditch I have at not having to shoot someone. They'll either do what I tell them ("on the floor, now!"), or they're getting shot. I'd prefer not to shoot them, and hopefully the pain and confusion of my light in their face will convince them that I mean it... because I do.

What kind of AK are you clearing the house with Sage? I'm looking at purchasing one partly for fort defense and also for the range. Right now for the home I pack my Ruger SP101 and my Maverick... whenever I leave the room you better believe my fiance has my XD in her hand with one of the big ole mags inside... I like the idea of running drills through the house... I'm pretty sure she'd enjoy that too...

deadeye1964

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    GRAPEVINE
    Yeah, but little dogs make better burglar alarms than most tech-driven alarms. ;)

A flashlight is a must; identify that target! I'm not talking about a Mini-Mag light, either; something bright will disorient a badguy if used properly. Just remember to try it out on a "dry" run sometime when your eyes are adjusted to the dark; it'll blind you pretty good, too.

Also, good tactics are a must. If you know someone is in the house, or are very sure of it, fort up with any family/friends and call 911. Going looking for trouble is a great way to find it. I'll only check if I'm not sure someone is there. The day I'm sure, I'm not going down those stairs: I'm staying at the top of them, having the wife dial 911, and shooting (the living hell out of) anybody who tries to come up until the police arrive. And I've got all night to wait.

And that is the proper way to handle an invasion. I have never read anywhere that it says you should go and clear your house if you feel there is an intruder in there, you lose the tactical adantage.Your plan or forting up and calling 911 is the best way to handle the situation, if they come to you, you have the advantage.

It is amazing to me there are a lot of people who do not have a plan or they go and start clearing their home like on TV. It sounds like you have thought this through and have a great plan.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Deadeye I got my house clearing plan off of TV. It was a training vi but TV. Sage you are right a mini mag is not the BEST option, but with the tactical tail cap (I should pitch that phrase to mag light) I can clear the house effectively. If I had a sure fire or the cash to get one I would as it is in fact better suited and designed for that purpose. If I feel there is someone in my house that shouldn't be I will go clear it. My arrangement for about three more weeks (thank God I'm out there again in three weeks) puts me in the same house as my mother but on opposite sides of the house. It presents a challenge. But when I moved back in I practiced when every one was gone, again and again and again. And then when I was sure I had it down I did it some more. everything sage said is correct. IMO I have to second one thing in particular tho. Always ALWAYS keep that gun close to your body going around corners if some thing goes bad they will want your gun, don't give it to them. IMM there is a 50/50 chance I will win the gun fight in the wee hours of the morning. I will be as prepared as I can be. And IMHO the most important part of winning a gunfight is remain as calm as possible and pay attention to what you are doing. You can control what you are doing, when/if the shooting starts it will be fast. you can't doge bullets, put your shots in and suppress the Bg's. Take cover and "stop" the threat. There are pro firearms instructors on this forum. I'm not one of them, so don't take this as gospel. How did I do that time Sage?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What kind of AK are you clearing the house with Sage? I'm looking at purchasing one partly for fort defense and also for the range. Right now for the home I pack my Ruger SP101 and my Maverick... whenever I leave the room you better believe my fiance has my XD in her hand with one of the big ole mags inside... I like the idea of running drills through the house... I'm pretty sure she'd enjoy that too...

Right now it's a Century-built Yugo M70AB2 underfolder. This is only because my favorite AK is in my friend's safe; NDS-3 receiver, Romanian "G" parts, plastic stock set and a couple of other things that made it possible for me to out-run and out-shoot quite a few serious ARs at tactical matches.

The underfolder stock isn't ideal IMO. It beats my shoulder up a bit more than I'd like, and the cheek weld isn't the best. But it gets the job done, and allows you to fold the rifle into a very compact package (this has other uses outside the home). The Yugo pistol grip is probably the best "as-issued" AK grip I've used. The regular Warsaw-sized grips are too small and I swap out for the Tapco SAW-style grip. The tiny little Russkie-size grips are actually so bad that my NDS-3/Romy rifle was actually just as controllable in it's CA (funky non-pistol grip) configuration as it was with the skinny grip on it.

It is amazing to me there are a lot of people who do not have a plan or they go and start clearing their home like on TV. It sounds like you have thought this through and have a great plan.

Always have a plan. Always have a backup plan. I do have a plan for if we need to exit the house in a hurry, and have gone over it with my wife. I'm just not going to share it here.

But hey: I'm a motorcyclist. I've always got to keep my eyes out and my mind working on "what if" scenarios. It works in the rest of your life, too.

Deadeye I got my house clearing plan off of TV. It was a training vi but TV. Sage you are right a mini mag is not the BEST option, but with the tactical tail cap (I should pitch that phrase to mag light) I can clear the house effectively. If I had a sure fire or the cash to get one I would as it is in fact better suited and designed for that purpose. If I feel there is someone in my house that shouldn't be I will go clear it. My arrangement for about three more weeks (thank God I'm out there again in three weeks) puts me in the same house as my mother but on opposite sides of the house. It presents a challenge. But when I moved back in I practiced when every one was gone, again and again and again. And then when I was sure I had it down I did it some more. everything sage said is correct. IMO I have to second one thing in particular tho. Always ALWAYS keep that gun close to your body going around corners if some thing goes bad they will want your gun, don't give it to them. IMM there is a 50/50 chance I will win the gun fight in the wee hours of the morning. I will be as prepared as I can be. And IMHO the most important part of winning a gunfight is remain as calm as possible and pay attention to what you are doing. You can control what you are doing, when/if the shooting starts it will be fast. you can't doge bullets, put your shots in and suppress the Bg's. Take cover and "stop" the threat. There are pro firearms instructors on this forum. I'm not one of them, so don't take this as gospel. How did I do that time Sage?

I'm not a pro, either. But some thoughts:

Finding "cover" in a house is not very likely. Bullets are going to go through most stuff in your average house...

50/50 is not the greatest odds. I wouldn't bet my life on a coin toss, that's for sure. I'd rather have lottery odds... of being on the losing side!

Forget Surefire. They're a bit too expensive for me. I saw some Inova lights at Fry's in Houston for prices that actually made me mad. I bought my XO3 for over $100... I could have got two or three today.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Hey 50/50 is your odds in any gunfight.IMO

Your right almost nothing in a house will stop bullets. Especially in my mobile home aka trailer house.

I have never heard of that brand of light. Could You post more specifics please?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hey 50/50 is your odds in any gunfight.IMO

Change the rules. Cheat.

Why do you think my plan is to use concealment and point my AK at the center of my bedroom door, just above waste high with my finger on the trigger while talking to 911 on speaker phone?

Unless there is a team of intruders with awesome toys and excellent training, my odds are a lot better than 50%.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I plan on cheating! I also plan on keeping everyone in my house safe. If I were to "fort up" that would leave a family member high and dry and I won't do that to mother sorry. In or to "fort up" I would have to to make it across a single wide trailer house with either my fiance or my mother at some point. I don't know how many people have lived in a single wide trailer but there ain't no sneaken by someone in the dark. If you could manage to pull it off alone you wont do it with someone freaking out beside you. I'd just as soon shoot them get the family safe while my fiance calls 911. That is why the "fort up" won't apply to me. Before when it was just me and my fiance in our house that we just moved out of, I would be able to do so.
    Thanks for the link Starker, and thanks for bringing them up Sage I am going to look into those for my "on duty" light I was going to get stinger But I'll check these out first.

Rocket_Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    If I were to "fort up" that would leave a family member high and dry and I won't do that to mother sorry.

Your situation has different advantages and disadvantages. The plus side, I would think it's a lot easier clearing rooms and making sure you don't leave a BG behind between you and your wife. The down side, it sounds like you mother's room is down range of where you're likely to find a BG, so she needs to know what to do during a situation to make sure she doesn't take a stray round. You would also have a harder time clearing with a long gun I would imagine, because of tight quarters.

There isn't one strategy that fits all, but at least you're thinking out the plan.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    O! I've got pictures hanging were the reflection shows the room I'm walking up to. I won't try to clear with a shotgun, that would be suicide for me and a death sentence for the other two. I do have a problem that I can't solve as far as the down range part tho, there is no way to get a good angle in that house.
    PS. the first plan always goes to shit before the shooting starts anyway right.;)

Top Bottom