• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Your situation has different advantages and disadvantages. The plus side, I would think it's a lot easier clearing rooms and making sure you don't leave a BG behind between you and your wife. The down side, it sounds like you mother's room is down range of where you're likely to find a BG, so she needs to know what to do during a situation to make sure she doesn't take a stray round. You would also have a harder time clearing with a long gun I would imagine, because of tight quarters.

There isn't one strategy that fits all, but at least you're thinking out the plan.

Clearing a house always does seem easier with a handgun... either that or something like a MP5... too bad we all can't have those to clear a house with

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    while I was at gt's I was looking around at the lights. I found the inova the bigest one was about the size of the stinger and 125 lumenens. The stinger is 145 lumenens, not enough to make a difference. I think i"m going to go that stinger soon. I like the stinger better and it comes in a rechargeable model with both ac & dc. It is a mater of preference between those before you start getting into sure fires. I also looked a Benchmade infidel (sweet) and played with some stream light weapon lights and the stream light light laser combo. I like the one without the laser but I don't like lasers that much. Both the weapon mounted lights were good and bright and the ergonomics were great on both. On the light/laser combo the laser can not be activated without also activating the light. I just thought I'd drop some info for y'all seeing as how we're talking about house clearing and all.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I use a Streamlight Stinger rechargeable at work. The only down-side to them is the lack of Lithium battery. They're still stuck with crappy old NiCad batteries, which are alright if you use them like I do (draining and recharging each at least once a week), but not ideal for leaving it sit for long periods of time IMO.

For work, I use the piggy-back charger that can either charge the battery in the flashlight or out of it and run two batteries. When one goes dead, I remove it and swap it out on the charger for the fresh one.

It's a very bright light!! It could make a decent impact weapon in a pinch, and is more than sturdy enough to survive that use (especially the aluminum-bodied model), though you may break the filament in the bulb (another slight down-side to the Stinger, IMO). I've had to replace about half a dozen bulbs in the five or so years I've used Stingers. The light comes with one in the tail cap under some foam cushion, and the bulbs are readily available.

The Inova I have is a considerably smaller XO3. I can fit the whole Inova in my pocket and you won't know I've got it (not as convenient as my Streamlight Stylus Pro, though! But much brighter). The Stinger rides in my back pocket at work with the bell sticking out.

The plus sides to the Inova are that the thing is pre-focused, meaning I'm not going to wear it out playing with the adjustability trying to find the "perfect" focus, and that it uses two CR-123 batteries. They're expensive, yes (can be had for around $1 each if you look hard enough), but much better batteries for a light that may sit around for long periods between uses. Wouldn't make much of an impression if you hit someone with it, unlike the Stinger...

I really, really like the XO3, and may pick up another if I have the chance. The Stinger is a bit of a one-trick-pony for me, being a work light and not a carry or tactical light like the XO3. Then again, if I was using the XO3 for auto repair 10 hours a day, I'd go broke buying batteries for it.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'm going to get the LED Stinger so I don't break those finicky Xenon bulbs. And remember this is strictly a defense light to hang on my bat man belt at work it's purpose as home defence is secondary. It's main job will be bum blinding in Austin ally ways, and keeping shady people from being able to watch my hands while we're uh "talking". I would also like to get the inova tactical light that I can leave on the night stand but I need a light that handle a BG's forehead if the need arises, and I don't want a poly light for that.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I'm going to get the LED Stinger so I don't break those finicky Xenon bulbs. And remember this is strictly a defense light to hang on my bat man belt at work it's purpose as home defence is secondary. It's main job will be bum blinding in Austin ally ways, and keeping shady people from being able to watch my hands while we're uh "talking". I would also like to get the inova tactical light that I can leave on the night stand but I need a light that handle a BG's forehead if the need arises, and I don't want a poly light for that.

That's a good point for myself and practically anyone and everyone to remember Big Country is that anything that you can use to defend yourself and home could and should be utilized including the butt of one very nice flashlight...

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That's a good point for myself and practically anyone and everyone to remember Big Country is that anything that you can use to defend yourself and home could and should be utilized including the butt of one very nice flashlight...
    That is true if you have it in your hand it is my belief that it should have the capacity to be used as a weapon. If the need should arise.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    My wife and I have not really done alot of planning on this scenario as of yet. Sure, we've talked about it here and there, but for the most part nothing to concrete. Our first line of defense are two large rott/pit mixes we have. If that doesn't scare a BG away, well then we need to clear the house. Our room is on the bottom floor, but all of the children are upstairs. If I believe someone is in the house, I would probabaly be taking the rem 870 as well as my XD. Downstairs the shotgun will do fine, hell they may surrender if I rack the slide even if they're upstairs...lol...but if I have to go upstairs, I would switch to the XD. A little more precision in case they decide to go into a child's room. We don't currently own a tactical light, what we have are some cheap LED flashlights from Target. They may not be painful blinding, but they are what we have to use for now... Although a tac light may not make a difference any how as there are always hall lights on both upstairs and downstairs so the kids can get around at night, so it wouldn't have that blinding effect.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    My 3 D LED mag light makes a good bum blinder at work. It is hard to shoot with tho. I had a small LED that was bright as all get out but I broke it working on a car. Anything is better than nothing. IMHO And it will make a very effective club if need be. I threw it at a dog one night with it turned on, it bounced of of three different concrete drive ways and it never even flickered. some time after that the LED came out of position and falls out if you hold your mouth right but some super glue will fix that. That is the kind of beating I expect to be handled by the flashlight I carry at work.

Top Bottom