ARJ Defense ad

Home Defense Gun - Sig P320 Full Size vs Ruger GP100?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianb121

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2019
    Seguin
    Hey everyone,

I am new to the forums and had a question for y'all. I am moving to Austin this summer to start pharmacy school at University of Texas and wanted to have a larger handgun to stay in a quick access safe near my nightstand of downtown austin. I currently own a Sig p365 as my edc and will most likely have that on me whenever I go out and am on campus.

I like the Sig P320 modular system and would probably get the night sight model and buy a flashlight for the rail. I have small hands so I would probably get the small grip module for full size version. Might even upgrade to the apex flat trigger that is popular for these guns. I also like that it has 17 rounds in magazine, and option to add the Sig Romeo1 red dot in future. Basically would be a big brother to my current conceal carry and just be for home defense and range. Biggest benefits I see are familarity to my edc, bigger round count, and ability to add a flashlight. I typically use the 147 grain 9mm rounds in my P365 and would probably load up the same in the P320.

For the Ruger GP100 I have shot many times with my uncle who owns one. They are built like tanks and handle 357 and 38 specials very well. They seem to be very accurate, especially in single action. I would probably purchase the 4.2 in barrel model of the regular gp100 or the match champion model with the polished trigger and such. The benefits I see to this is the a dual purpose for home defense, a great hiking/camping handgun, and likely a longer shelf life of a revolver that could work for many decades. Also the increased stopping power might a plus but I heard that the right 38+ P rounds might be preferred if firing in a small apartment because of possibility of momentarily going blind and deaf if shooting 357 mags in small enclosed room by its large blast and concussion. So in this sense I might use 38+P for home defense and 357 mag for outdoor hiking/camping/hunting.

The Sig P320 full size and Ruger GP100 I can find online both around $580. I could buy the more polished Ruger gp100 match champion around $680 and obviously add upgraded trigger ($50) and flashlight ($100) to the Sig P320. I'd probably spend upwards of $700 regardless of what path I take.

Any thoughts, opinions, or personal experiences to help me make a decision would be greatly appreciated!!
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Sounds like you’ve shot two of the three. Which do you control better?

Realize there’s compromises to each setup. Find what you’re comfortable with.

Build a layered defense in your residence so that engaging a threat is the last, but most successful thing you have to do.

You don’t want to have to engage anyone, ever. It sucks.

brianb121

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2019
    Seguin
    Hey thanks for the input,

The layered defense will be hard in my residence. I just signed a pre-lease for an 450 square feet 1 Bedroom apartment near the university. If anyone broke in at night, I would have little time to react.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Hey thanks for the input,

The layered defense will be hard in my residence. I just signed a pre-lease for an 450 square feet 1 Bedroom apartment near the university. If anyone broke in at night, I would have little time to react.

First or second floor? That’s the first layer. Window stops second layer. Bedroom door stops third layer. Wireless alarm such as simplisafe with panic/duress button.

When your in the apartment, it’s about delaying entry. When your out of the apartment, let renters insurance take care of you.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    6 or 7 vs 17? I’d take the sig all day long. While the revolver will have a longer shelf life... if they’re both taken care of they should theoretically outlast you. Only problem might be the polymer on the sit waaaay down the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The Sig P365 is a contender in and of itself. But you already know that. I've often traveled with nothing but a G26 and a spare mag - out of necessity.

I also remember camping with my father back in the early 70's when all we had was a Ruger single six in .22 mag and a single shot .410. I guess we did not feel undergunned because we knew how to use them.

Last edited:

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Between the two options you describe for the purpose you mention, I'd go with the Sig. Nothing wrong with a wheel gun and having a spare or two around. But if you're only going to have one, the 17+1 is a no-brainer to me.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I would take the Sig god forbid anything happens and chances are it will not but I would prefer the 17 rounds because you never know. The GP 100 would work but I would buy some speed reloaders for it.

Toni77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    The gp100 is an amazing and accurate piece of machinery but... I’d choose the sig (well, Glock in my case).

If time comes, you’ll wish to have as many rounds as possible.

Don’t forget a good security bar for your door.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Hearty welcome. Believe you got plenty of firepower either way. Best of fortunes in school. Our grand daughter just got her fancy doctor of Pharmacy degree a couple of years back. It feels strange having a doctor in the family. lol.

brianb121

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2019
    Seguin
    Thank you everyone. I think the general consensus right now is that I should get the Sig before the GP100, even though the revolver would be a great addition to my collection in the future. I think I agree with that, especially since I would be far more likely to encounter two legged threats in downtown Austin vs 4 legged threats. Having 17+1 would be a great advantage if there were multiple attackers. Still unlikely that I would ever have to fire more than a few rounds but I guess its better safe than sorry.

brianb121

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2019
    Seguin
    Hearty welcome. Believe you got plenty of firepower either way. Best of fortunes in school. Our grand daughter just got her fancy doctor of Pharmacy degree a couple of years back. It feels strange having a doctor in the family. lol.
    Thanks for the input and encouragement for school! Do you remember where she went to pharmacy school?

brianb121

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2019
    Seguin
    The gp100 is an amazing and accurate piece of machinery but... I’d choose the sig (well, Glock in my case).

If time comes, you’ll wish to have as many rounds as possible.

Don’t forget a good security bar for your door.
    Do you have a brand or website of a security bar you recommend? And do you think my apartment complex would let me install while renting?

Top Bottom