Join TexasGunTalk

Home Heating

Discussion in 'Food, Water Storage and other Prepper Gear' started by Hobie Dog, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog Member

Feb 24, 2008
    San Marcos, Texas
    Our house is currently for sale. As soon as it sells we will be building a new one in the country, in south central Texas. Our current heat is electric. It's horrible. We pay $450-$500 a month and keep the thermostats at 63. It's always cold, but what do you expect for that kind of money.

So, the options we are looking at are electric heat pump and/or LP. There are some hybrid systems out there that use both. LP is expensive now days so I'm not sure that's good to totally rely on.

All the builders I've talked to say solar and wind just aren't cost effective yet. Sure would be nice to coral some of that wind but systems are really expensive.

Anyone have any experience with the new technologies and heat systems?

2. rls210

rls210 New Member

Jul 12, 2013
    San Antonio
    My advice is to build your home to the standards of the new homes built up north. Properly built and insulated your home will cost considerably less to heat or cool.

3. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    have you thought about a wood stove for supplemental heat? I love ours, I 'm sitting here now by it.
    We cut and burn about 3-4 cords per year and it really keeps our natural gas bill in check

4. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Insulation is the key with any system. 2x6 exterior walls, r19 insulation, good doors and windows, and 12" of insulation in the attic would be my minimums. Spend more up fro t to save a ton of money down the road. A properly insulated house could be heated with a candle. Ok, maybe a little more than that but you get the idea.

I can't help you on the new technology stuff besides tankless water heaters. They are the way to go.

5. mantawolf

mantawolf Active Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    Just curious, wouldnt 3-4 cords of wood cost as much as the propane heat for the 3-4 months you need heat?

6. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    if you have to buy it and have it delivered, you would pay about $150 per cord.
    and if I had to buy my firewood, I seriously don't know if I would use a wood stove. I figured OP was moving out in the country and might have a place to get wood

I have my own land to cut wood on, plus if you are industrious you can find wood for free. I used to get firewood from the city tree limb recycle yard and also from farmers and ranchers who were clearing brush. I have always been a firewood scrounger so it is just second nature to me

7. Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog Member

Feb 24, 2008
    San Marcos, Texas
    Thanks for your input. My builder is from Minnesota so, yes, much insulation. I've considered a wood burner of some kind. I have a fireplace in my current house and it just sucks the heat out. We'll have a few years of wood just trimming trees to build the house. Great help. Thanks.

8. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I wonder if geothermal for heating and cooling is a viable option. It's probably a big upfront expense, but then, there are no power sucking compressors involved in operating the system. A wood stove would be nice to have in addition to any other heat source. If the EPA hasn't banned them, that is.

9. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    This is only something I've seen once, and it was on one of those home shows when I flippin' through. Have you thought about doing in floor, coil type heat. Similar to an electric blanket but, under, instead of over so the heat rises from the floor. If I recall correctly, the shows house heating was done with warm water from a solar powered heating source. They never said what the costs were but, I'm thinkin' it ain't cheap. Once again, memory involved, there was no electric heat involved, or gas heat, and no need of a water heater due to the solar heated tanks already storing hot water. Not sure how well that would work with the cloudy and or rainy days in central Texas though.

Just a thought.

10. Mexican_Hippie

Mexican_Hippie MODERATOR TGT Supporter

Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Earth contact home.