home schoolers

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
What's next? Outlawing church? Maybe she needed to add a "How to put on a condom" class or maybe a "Heather has two mommies" seminar.

Wake judge orders home schoolers into public classrooms :: WRAL.com

I remember hearing these lyrics and cringing:

We don't need no education.
We don't need no thought control.

Pink Floyd,
Another Brick in the Wall

Those lyrics still make me cringe, but for different reasons...

nalioth

Oct 13, 2008
Houston Metro
It says the li'l rugrats are scoring two grade levels up from the grade they're in.

WTF does the state care what they're being taught, so long as they can pass their stupid state tests?

I smell a nice "mind your own business" lawsuit in this.

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
This makes me hopping mad ... but first things first.

If the father is so concerned, why did he let the home schooling continue. Second, if he is such a dedicated father/husband, why is he letting his family fall apart? Third, no wonder his life is falling apart, he's too much of a puss to handle his own affairs. Fourth, who in their right mind would let that f(i)g continue to have power over their affairs? Pay your child support and let your wife finish what you started!

If these kids are doing well in school, the last thing you want to do is dumb them down. Why turn smart kids into bored kids?

I'd rip the judge a new one, but don't want to stir up the "you're anti-LE" zealots.

BTW, I somehow managed to cross the street today without having to wonder if creationists or evolutionists were correct.

idleprocess

Feb 29, 2008
DFW.com
Homeschooling has always struck me as a bit ... weird. Doesn't help that the most vocal proponents of homeschooling tend to be wacky Christians with a ... siege mentality about society in general.

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
I think most people think that about home schoolers, gun owners, and a few other groups.

We have a neighbor that home schools their 5 kids. I think all they help with a small family owned production business or something. I remebered reading about a kid, in the Houston Chronicle, that home schooled so he could hit the golf circuit. At the time, he was touring Ireland. Not sure how mainstream home schooling is.

Generally speaking, as I don't know the players in the article, I'd trust that mom over the vindictive, soon to be ex-husband, and an activist (imho) judge.

Edit: Wanted to add, my first reaction was I thought my neighbors were wierdos for home schooling. I've obviously warmed up to them, the schooling, and their well behaved kids.

nalioth

Oct 13, 2008
Houston Metro
Good home schooling = kids who grow up to think for themselves. Better with Christian morals than no morals at all.

Not sure if you've noticed, but the public education system is rolling down hill at a high rate of speed, and has been for 20+ years.

Not only that, but they're brainwashing the kiddies nowadays.

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
/agree Nalioth

What can Al Gore teach your kids, that you can't?
What can other teenagers teach your teenager, that you can't?
What kind of work ethic can public school instill into your kid, that you can't?
etc.

LittleGun

Jun 27, 2008
Spring/Houston
I don't have kids, but public schools scare me. Schools are teaching social things instead of skills like reading, writing, and math. If I had children, they would be in private school or home school.

glockrocker

Dec 11, 2008
Austin, TX
Yeah, home schooling allows for WAY too much individual thought for big brother to feel comfortable with. BAN IT! Can't have kids reaching adulthood without ever joining a gang or ensuring they'll never reach half of thier full intellectual potential.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics

Threads