• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    We touched on this in a different thread.

I'm planning on getting some cameras soon.

What brands/setups can you all recommend?

I want 360 coverage, I think I can do that with 6-8 cameras.
    Texas SOT

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    I will soon be in the market. I'm looking for something that only I can monitor.

Sent from the Bacon isle at your local grocery store.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Start off by drawing a diagram of your house. Then walk around and see what views you need. That will give you an idea of how many cameras you need. Wired cameras are best, imo. You will have no interference issues, but wireless cameras are MUCH easier to install. You will still need to run power to the wireless cameras.

For outside be sure and get infrared cameras. They have IR transmitters so the cameras can see at night.

You can buy kits that include cameras and DVRs. You can hook those up to your TV, and network them so you can see on your smart phone. Some kits are self contained. Meaning you get a monitor with the kit and even some with a built in DVR.

Be careful and really research the system. Some are only viewable on your smart phone via SKYPE, and you can only see one camera and have to maintain an active computer connection.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    We have a Swann 16 channel HD. I don't remember the model number but it was a bit spendy. Like most things you get what you pay for. It came highly recommended and after doing my own research I went ahead and picked it up. I am pleased with the unit, not the support from the company. They don't respond to email, and rarely answer there phone. The unit works like a champ, except for the default DDNS (so you can view it from the internet). The default DDNS is through Swann and only works sometimes. Your options to remedy this are use someone else for DDNS or a static IP. We upgraded our internet to a static IP and this fixed my only issue with the system.

The system we replaced was ok, but after an incident when we reviewed the recording it was just not good enough to do much with. So whatever unit you get, make sure the camera and recording is decent quality, HD preferred.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    If you are willing to build your own box, Acti has good software and cameras. You can get a lot of camera and even an old computer will power their software giving you full control remotely, the ability to program detection, blackouts areas, etc.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What are you looking to spend.

I can very close to picking up a wired 4 camera system with DVR from radio shack for $400. I think it could handle more cameras but came with 4. 30 day memory IIRC, but that may have been total recording time(so 1/4 of that running 4 cameras).

Don't think it was set up for remote viewing online but with my Internet options I don't really look in to that stuff.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    This is a very good brand. https://www.q-see.com/

I have their equipment at 2 houses and I'm very pleased with it. Get a DVR with a built in web server so you can log in anywhere including your Iphone or Android.

Do not get the cheapest cameras. Get 1/3 inch optic, at least 600 tv lines and IR. Cheap cameras do not work very well at night.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The cheap camera's come with 940nm IR LED's. Moths and other flying insects can see it and buzz it all night making motion alarms useless. Look for 850nm IR illumination the bugs cannot see them. Better yet buy an external IR illuminator and light up the areas you need to see without giving away the camera location. Phone cameras work good finding IR light sources, and they can be used to avoid cameras.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I went through something similar at work recently. We got a GW security 16 camera set up. More than you need, but it came with everything needed to get it up and running. Monitor, DVR, wire, included. There's a mobile app for viewing from a phone. Either single camera, or 4 at a time. You can also log in online and view from any computer. Comes with the option of full time record or motion detector record. Came with a 2TB DVR which has been plenty for us to run full time record and still be able to go back and check things if needed.

Before just buying something online, find somewhere you can actually see the resolution of the cameras. Walk around your yard and determine at what distance you want to be able to see things, and use that distance to make your judgement. Gun shows will often have security camera set ups where you can look at the resolution if you know how far off you're wanting to look. Also check the yellow pages (or google) for your local spy shop. They typically carry and sell video surveillance set ups.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well i suppose that another advantage. Small front and back yards. Ill have to check out their fields of view i suppose. Im not sur if i could get away with 4 possibly.

Frys sells some kits. May check them out soon.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    We are still using an older 8 camera/DVR Samsung system that has been in use for 6 years and have had zero problems. We also run a Sony 16 camera/DVR system with 10 of the cameras IR and the other six regular dome cameras for range/lane observation. We have had to replace a couple of cameras over the first year and a half the Sony system. The resolution is better and a larger hardrive on the Sony. Look into a UPS for backup power in case of power failure. If someone cuts your power/breakers, the system goes down. A decent UPS will keep the cameras and DVR running for 2-3 hours.

Be aware Forbes did a story at one time about hackers could easily access many systems on the market . Resolution is of course better on the upper end systems. If all you want is to actually know if anyone is moving about on your property, the less expensive systems will work. If you want to identify that person, the more resolution, the better.

A decent system should be had in your price range $500.00-$750.00 for an 8 IR cameras/DVR....

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    Some systems can be set up to record only when the motion sensors are triggered. This saves your hard drive space for pertinents data. I would also put extra IR lighting in the yard to supplement the night range of the cameras.

Top Bottom