• ...and so much more!
  • cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I see the ads all the time.

alarm goes off as bad guy is kicking in the door, and the phone rings

Victim answers the phone and is asked if they are alright, responding yes ,the alarm company says they are sending the police.

I personally would like to see it go like this.

Alarm goes off and bad guy is kicking in the door. Several shots are heard and when the alarm company calls.

Please send someone to pick up this POS they are getting my floor dirty.

I am not trying to get a flame started, but would really like to have some feedback on this.
    Lynx Defense

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    If some slime ball breaks into my house it will be the second option. The reason I say this is not to sound all rambo. I have not seen an alarm company that calls as soon as the alarm goes off yet!!! My experience is they call about a minute after it goes off. They is even a time cut off for some companies now. They will not call until the alarm has gone off for more than a certian time. I guess this is due to all the false alarms. i don't picture an alarm system as a preventive measure. I view it as a warning for me to prepare to use deadly force.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    About the ads

the ads give the sheep a warm fuzzy feeling when they see them. When they have them installed they think they are totally safe in their home.
    Dont get me wrong, an alarm is a good thing. Personally i would rather have a dog, large or small as long as it is alert to things that go bump in the night. that is a primary warning, and the rest is up to how you prepare for it.
    be safe and be alert!

P.S. I posted this because of a situation that happened last night late. Fortunately it turned out okay. Pucker factor was about a 3 on a scale of 5.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Yeah, the ads suck, but they're trying to sell their product. My issue is with the false sense of security they try to convey. I have an ADT system that's nice to have, but nothing can replace situational awarness, a dog and a good gun.

One evening, we didn't properly close the garage door before we went out to dinner. One of our cats accidentally opened the door and set the alarm off. It was blaring close to 5 minutes before ADT called the house, my cell phone and eventually the police. Five minutes is an eternity when your life's in danger!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    As a former cop I can't tell you the number of burglary reports I took where the dog was was in the house.

Dogs MIGHT alert you. However, a dog cannot call 911, and is useless when you are not home.

I know, everyone has a dog that will scare off/eat/bite whatever a burglar. That was not my experience generally.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Dogs are great if you are home. Our dog perks up when a rabbit is in the back yard.

However, if you ever watched 'It takes a theif' on t.v. (the series where people agree to let them break into their home while taping it)........you saw how they always defeated the dogs with very little effort. They even took the dog a couple of times, just to make their point.

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I agree that the ads are silly. If someone has decided to kick in my door, he isn't going to stop because of an alarm. I'd like to see more realistic commercials. I have an alarm system. I test it regularly and my service always calls in about 30 seconds. An alarm is not a substitute for guns and training.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Hilarious You tube video. I concur with everyone's opinion on this, the only real good reason for an alarm system is to wake you up so you can grab your real home defense.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Dogs might surprise you. They are not just early warning systems when you are home. Many burglars fear dogs. Burglars are generally sneaky bastages that want to get in and out in a short time with your stuff. They don't like to break glass, but will. The don't like to kick doors, but would rather pry it open. The dog is a noise maker and possibly a biter.

The presence of a dog is another factor in the equation the burglar must work out prior to entry. It may be the factor that tips the scale to send the burglar to your nieghbors house instead of yours.

I worked a case abt. 15 months ago where the homeowner was gone a short time and returned to a bloody mess in the living room. Burglar came in, family pet (white german shepherd) ate his A$$! The mini blinds were torn up where burglar tried to get out several windows. Blood smeared all over the front door. Even some fatty tissue stuck to door. Looked like a Homicide scene. Dog just layed down and cleaned himself up. He looked a little confused when I got there like he was not sure he did the right thing. Dog never had any attack/protection training. He was just a family pet that played and slept with the kids.

I offered to go to the store and get him a T-bone for dinner.

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    An alarm is just an alarm, even hooked to a phone, I don't trust anyone to show up and help. A dog can only help the situation, some are much better at it than others. As far as the alarm company calling you or you trying to call 911 during a burglary is only ok after it's over. I don't know that I would even waste time knocking the receiver off the phone just so they can listen in. The guy on the phone can't reach my gun.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Dogs might surprise you. They are not just early warning systems when you are home. Many burglars fear dogs. Burglars are generally sneaky bastages that want to get in and out in a short time with your stuff. They don't like to break glass, but will. The don't like to kick doors, but would rather pry it open. The dog is a noise maker and possibly a biter.
    There is always an exception to the rule, but you just can't count on a dog.

When we were looking at houses in '07 we had an appointment at a nice home. However, when we got there and the Realtor tried to gain entry a HUGE German Shephard was snarling and growling and barking at the door. The Realtor nor my wife would go in. I just opened the door and stepped towards the dog, where he promptly ran upstairs again and began his "watch dog" routine again.

Didn't like the house though.

Regarding the alarms; I am waiting for the ad where the teenage girl (cause I have one at home) is alone doing homework when the front door is kicked in, and she grabs her dads 1911 and "changes the mind" of the bad guy with the crow bar. :patriot:

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Alarms are cool, and dogs can help, but for the past couple months I have had a Marine sleeping on my couch. Nothing says security like a well armed Devil Dog waiting for the front door to open. lol

photofreeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    We owned a Wolf-hybrid. She was a great security system even when we were not home. She actually did eat a guy that came in intending to harm my wife. Most totally loyal animal I've ever seen. Loved kids, hated men.
    I can't recommend them however. If we had known the kind of responsibility that comes with a hybrid we might not have gotten her.
    When she was a pup she would run after the kids in the house and push them down. When they were almost full grown if they ran in the house she would still jump on them. She weighed over 110 lbs. They are very smart and require lots of interaction.

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I work armed security and even I get a good laugh at the ads.

I suggest a good dog, good lighting (maybe some timers if out of town and have someone pick up your mail and papers), heavy doors with dead-bolts and get friendly with your neighbors....neighbors looking out for one another is a great thing to have these days.

Top Bottom