Homemade shooting bench

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
Good lookin' setup. Now maybe when I get a chance to come by, I won't end up lookin' at the sky. :roflfunny:

If I could suggest, a bit of edge band on the plywood ends, to keep it the top from falling apart too quick.

I must admit, that bench was probably the worst attempt I've ever made. Too tall, unstable, usually covered in fire ants.

This ones great, just hard to zero at 300 yards...Might have to build a smaller version for sighting in at 50.

I plan to paint the top with floor paint. I did that on one inbuilt a couple years ago and aside from being only slightly more stable than the one you used it has held up really well.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
Did some shooting from the new bench with the .17 this evening. My son went with me (going on 7 y/o).

As a typical young boy his version of sitting still means staying inside a 5 foot radius. His usual fidgeting around beside me had no noticeable effect looking through a 12X scope. Might have noticed minor movement if I was really going for groups with a target rifle. Only time I had to ask him to settle down was when he started beating on the table top making it vibrate, lol.

I consider this hugely successful as he was sitting on the same seat as I was.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
Aug 9, 2013
south of killeen
Glad the table is working for you. Spending time with Butters,,,probably makes the effort on the table all by itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Apr 15, 2013
I built mine very similar to yours but put a cutout in mine for my body to sit "into" and get me up into the bench.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
I planned to have a cut out on one side at first but decided to go with a square once I realized how hard the ground was. Took less holes this way, lol.

Doesn't bother me much. I almost always shoot prone and have gotten used to being squared up to the rifle. I like to lean on the bench too.

DubiousDan

TGT Addict
May 22, 2010
San Antonio
Are you going to seal or paint it so it will stand up to the weather?

Top Bottom