• slim jim

Official News Guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Homeowner pursues suspected thief, shoots him
    by Brent Whiting - Apr. 25, 2008 11:46 AM
    The Arizona Republic
    Police are sorting out a shooting that took place early Friday in northwest Phoenix, resulting in the wounding of a suspected auto burglar and the closing of 43rd Avenue south of Bell Road.

The injured man, who suffered wounds that were not life-threatening, was shot by an irate homeowner who told officers he gave chase and fired after somebody tried to break into his vehicle, police said.

There were no immediate arrests as investigators gathered evidence and tried to determine whether the shooter, under the facts of the case, was justified in using deadly force, said Detective Stacie Derge, a Phoenix police spokeswoman.
    "Nobody is in custody," Derge said. "We have a lot of investigation to do. We will look at the circumstances of the whole situation and determine what charges will be filed."

Neither the shooter nor the wounded man was identified.

According to Derge, the incident began shortly before 5 a.m. outside a home in the 18600 block of North 31st Drive, northwest of Union Hills Drive and Interstate 17.

The homeowner told police that his car alarm sounded and he stepped outside to see what was happening. He said somebody tried to break into his car and he saw a man walking away from the vehicle.

The suspected auto burglar stepped into a pickup truck and drove away, while the homeowner got into his vehicle, a Pontiac, and gave chase, following the man through surrounding neighborhoods.

Eventually, police said, they ended up on 43rd Avenue south of Bell Road, where the homeowner fired several rounds into the pickup truck, wounding the driver at least twice.

Both the wounded man and the homeowner drove home. A female passenger in the pickup truck escaped unharmed.

When the wounded man arrived home, family members drove him to a hospital for treatment. The homeowner, who also had a passenger in his vehicle, was contacted by police at his residence.

Police closed 43rd Avenue between Bell Road and Paradise Lane as officers processed evidence, including car parts and shell casings scattered in the southbound lanes of the roadway.

In general, Arizona allows the use of physical and deadly force if a "reasonable person" believes it is immediately necessary to prevent crimes such as arson, burglary, kidnapping and all forms of murder and sex crimes.

Under a measure that Gov. Janet Napolitano signed into law in April 2006, people are justified in using deadly physical force if they reasonably believe their life or the life of another is in danger.

In the event charges are brought in such a case, prosecutors must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a defendant claiming self-defense had acted without justification.

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/artic...0425-ON-CP.html

I think he should have called the police. He could have got his plate number. Would you get by with this in your state?

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    If he shot the guy as he was walking away or getting away, I'd be more inclined to side with him. But driving around chasing him down? Shooting at the guy when there was another person in the truck? That was stooopid.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I don't think anyone should get away with that in any state. It's one thing to protect yourself, your family, your property, etc. However it's an entirely different thing when you hop in the car and chase them because they tried to break in to your car. :confused: What was this homeowner thinking?! I'm sure he'll have charges filed against him.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That's a bit over the top. There has to be some degree of order. In the end it's a petty theft, and that is what insurance is for. If they were stealing your kid, then yes, chasing them down is justified.

Sounds like someone got a hot head and stopped thinking and started shooting.

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    That's a bit over the top. There has to be some degree of order. In the end it's a petty theft, and that is what insurance is for. If they were stealing your kid, then yes, chasing them down is justified.

Sounds like someone got a hot head and stopped thinking and started shooting.
    yea, but I always think... what next? These types of people just get worse and worse, I say good on him. Maybe I've watched one too many Charles Bronson movies, or had my stereo stolen one too many times, but these fuckers deserve unmarked graves, absolutely no redeemable qualities. Pretty soon they breaking into people's houses, and if they have the means, their doing it armed. I know I'm jumping pretty far, but I love all my cars, and the thought of some low life animal prying at one of the dashes with a screwdriver sends chills up my spine. I don't know if I'd chase him across town... but only because I would get in trouble, if it were martial law, I'd chase 'em hell and back. Stay the **** out of places you don't belong and you won't get hunted. If they get away, you've lost your stereo, cops have better things to worry about (evidently). I'm not advocating risking innocent lives, but come on, what's a little car chase?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Sorry, two people chasing each other through the streets endangers alot of innocent motorists. It's selfish, and simply immature.

I'm all for protection of property, by all means beat them till they stop bleeding, but chasing someone in your car involves too many non-combatants. You will have tunnel vision, and will certainly not have a clear head. You might as well be staggering drunk. What if you slam into someone else's car and injure them? For what... a $100 radio? Proving a point?

What are you going to do when you do find them? Shoot them, and go to jail for murder? Point your gun at them and get back your $100 radio?

The costs far outweigh the benefits.

Believe me, I'm not without my own hatred and disgust of thieves.

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    Sorry, two people chasing each other through the streets endangers alot of innocent motorists. It's selfish, and simply immature.

I'm all for protection of property, by all means beat them till they stop bleeding, but chasing someone in your car involves too many non-combatants. You will have tunnel vision, and will certainly not have a clear head. You might as well be staggering drunk. What if you slam into someone else's car and injure them? For what... a $100 radio? Proving a point?

Same could be said for all police pursuits?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    1960/AldineW'field
    You don't see as many police chases as you used to.... (at least I don't.) I have a friend that worked in law enforcement, and it was extremely discouraged. Sometimes it just isn't worth the risk of hurting an innocent civilian.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Same could be said for all police pursuits?

The police car is driven by someone trained to follow someone, and has huge flashing lights and a siren on it. The cop isn't also driven by rage, he's in a much more focused state of mind, with perhaps some exceptions. They have choppers, spike strips, tactics, numerous support cars, and radios to maintain a much safer chase environment.

The average motorist cannot control a car, does not know the limits of a vehicle, and when combined with a mindset set on kill, it's not going to be safe for them to go barreling after someone. I don't care about their safety, it's their responsibility, but I do care about my safety since I'm the one that has to dodge the 3500 lb. steel projectile with a pissed driver.

We teach those new to firearms proper safety in regards to prevent accidents. You chasing after someone is no different than pointing a condition zero gun at a crowd of people. Sure the odds are nothing will happen, but theres that 1% that gives way to the rule's reason for existence.

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    before everyone gets all mad at me, I'm being cheeky here. I would never honestly act that way, I'm a pretty level headed and reserved guy. It'd just be nice, to not be responsible and grownup and all that other bullshit that comes with age. And I'm feeling especially vigilant today since I've spent all day trying to rectify a crime of identity theft as a result of selling a car to the wrong friend, another group of people that deserves unmarked graves. Social Security sucks.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    before everyone gets all mad at me, I'm being cheeky here. I would never honestly act that way, I'm a pretty level headed and reserved guy. It'd just be nice, to not be responsible and grownup and all that other bullshit that comes with age. And I'm feeling especially vigilant today since I've spent all day trying to rectify a crime of identity theft as a result of selling a car to the wrong friend, another group of people that deserves unmarked graves. Social Security sucks.

If you want to argue fun... then yeah, loading up the posse, kicking down his door, and doing it old school is the blue plate special. If we could throw it all to the wind it'd be nice to handle business with an AR15 and just call the police to a clean-up at 802 Bradford, lol.

The problem is, as with anything in life, that people go too far and do stupid crap. Like gunning down a thief running away with a car stereo with a belt-fed M60 fired from the hip in the middle of the Macy's Day Parade.

Sometimes a little regulation is in order to prevent stupid people from doing stupid things. The problem is when it infringes on intelligent people conducting intelligent practice of said events, such as shooting said thief with a scoped rifle in the head.

Certainly not doubting you. I think we'd all like to cut down thieves with a 5.2 million BTU thermonuclear flame thrower. I would be lying if I didn't have the inclination to chase down the guy.

Top Bottom