• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldfalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Point Venture
    THis happened to an old range in Austin off 2222 40 years ago-
    Homes were build at a higher elevation so practically the only way to hit one would be intentional/dumbazz
    When the news trucks went for the story the home owner held up what they say hit the house- it was a cartridge not a bullet-
    Place was closed eventually as a nuisance-
    Like pig farms and home land development- they shut down the farms so as to further living area-
    The doctrine of coming to the nuisance no longer enforced and stricken from the law.
    That was pretty sad- land developers ought to have to buy the nuisance land- not be able to shut it down.
    DK Firearms

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Same reason people buy next to airports then complain about noise, next to cattle and complain about smell, next to a concert venue and complain about noise. They got a good deal and can then get some slime lawyer (is there any other kind?) to get them more bucks or a shutdown!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's heating up again...

Comal County Gun Range Sued Over Stray Bullets

Couple Claims Home Hit Numerous Times

Jessie Degollado, KSAT 12 News Reporter

POSTED: Friday, December 10, 2010

SAN ANTONIO -- Over the past 18 months, a dozen stray bullets allegedly from the Bracken Gun Range have lodged mostly in the roof of a home several football fields away.

"You can feel them under shingles. You can see them sticking out of the shingles. You can see the skid marks where bullets have skipped off the property," said David Harris, the attorney representing homeowners Thomas and Lynn Wilson.

Gordon Stafford, the attorney for the gun range, did not respond as of early Friday evening to requests for comment.

Harris said one bullet whizzed by the husband's head as he stood outside, "and he found it in the side of the his house the next morning."

He said the couple contacted him soon after that.

The lawsuit details other reports of stray bullets in the Wild Wind subdivision in the city of Garden Ridge.

Harris said he estimates the homes are 2,000 feet away from the gun range that is in Comal County.

Garden Ridge Mayor Jay Feibelman said police have walked a large tract of undeveloped land that separates the two, searching for any sign of teenagers firing guns.

"Any targets, any cans, any evidence of that type of shooting there, can't find anything," Feibelman said.

However, he said the evidence the shots "probably" came from the gun range is circumstantial.

The mayor said a representative of the Wild Wind homeowner's association who gives the city council monthly updates, told them there is progress being made and the owner is being cooperative.

Harris said a roof has been built over the handgun range, with several layers of plywood, ballistic material and sheet metal.

However, he said the concealed handgun range that now has a protective backstop atop a berm behind the targets, is still "open to the sky."

Harris said that range also needs to be enclosed.

"You have to design so you can eliminate human error. You don't have a second chance with a bullet," Harris said.

The mayor said Garden Ridge police have not received any further reports of stray bullets since the improvements were made at the gun range.

However, Harris said his client later found a bullet in his roof.

The attorney said both sides are trying to work out a solution, and for now a court hearing on a temporary restraining order is pending.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Same reason people buy next to airports then complain about noise, next to cattle and complain about smell, next to a concert venue and complain about noise.

Got that right.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    We were there last weekend, they do have coverings on the pistol range I almost have to duck to shoot (very annoying). There shotgun target range is fun.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    ("Beavers" voice, used for effect): Well, golly-gee-whillikers Wally. That's an awful lot of trees those bullets have to go through and still be able to leave skid marks on the property and run up under shingles in rooftops.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    And now, on a more serious note:
    Maybe it's all true, but after looking at google-maps, it seems highly unlikely that that neighborhood is getting hit with the amount of rounds that it claims. If it was one round, I might have believed they had a stray on their hands, but not the amount they claim! If that were true, then the construction workers who built the house would have had the same complaints and we would have heard about it then. Regardless of what you believe about people who construct houses in San Antonio, I can assure you they would have complained and told EVERYbody the minute one bullet whizzed past their heads!
    It sounds to me like maybe we have some anti-gun sentiment at that neighborhood, and that is the root cause of all this mess.

Maybe I'm wrong - but I kinda don't think so. :rolleyes:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I think you are 100% correct, the most likely scenario is that the homeowners just want the range gone. They probably knew it beforehand it was there, but wanted to build their houses first and then use this ridiculous claim to get it shut down. It's like the earlier story where the woman claimed bullets where hitting her house, and she showed the police complete rounds (casings and bullets) as evidence. We were just in Bracken yesterday (eating at the most excellent Bracken Store Cafe, some of the best burgers in the city! Heck, even the local trains stop there so the crews can lunch there!) and we should've drive through the neighborhood just to see all the "carnage" but I didn't think about it; but since there's been no news about the situation I suspect it has died down, as we know the range is still operating.

Cheers! M2

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Quite frankly, I'm amazed that no one has tried to close the Clear Lake range in League City. With Tuscan Lakes and South Shore all around it, I'm sure there are plenty of antis around there now. Probably a few lawyers as well.

palirwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Cedar Park, Tx
    I have seen this come up about once a year for a few years at least. This won't be a popular stance on the issue but here we go...

I agree with the fact that the homeowners should have been notified of the range. I agree moving there ***with this knowledge*** is questionable judgement and that in itself should ***not*** be reason to shut down the existing business.

However, you are responsible for where your bullet goes. Kind of like not shooting over a rise at a deer since your bullet will go on to something on the other side of the hill you cannot see. If you are going to shoot a gun, you must be responsible for where that bullet goes. I also say that if the range had any sense whatsoever they would put effective measures in place to ensure the likelihood of these ricochets is reduced to the point of almost certain elimination. If they want to stay in business it would be the wise business decision.

Saying that all these bullets are not coming from the range is idiotic and Bill Clinton-ish. Do you blame the gun if you shoot somebody? Do you blame the car if you get drunk and have a wreck? Do you blame the beer company? No, you are responsible. If the range is not containing the bullets, don't shoot there. You are the one pulling the trigger.

So there you have it. Let the flame fest begin!!!

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    No "flame-fest" is necessary. Investigation is in order, and if the rounds are found to be coming from that range, then they are 110% responsible for putting measures in place to protect anyone outside of the range. I don't believe ANYone will argue with you on that. We're all responsible shooters here. We all understand the importance of safety.
    My point was that there is a possibility that there are no stray rounds at all, and that they are creating a problem that does not exist.

...as I said. Investigation is in order before any of us can truly make an intelligent and informed decision on the matter.

Top Bottom