• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diveRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    The Metroplex
    Since we're going to be buying a home in Texas within the next 90 to 120 days, I'm curious about how many of you have "homesteaded" your property and WHY you did it, if you can explain without going into too much detail about your personals. I've done some casual reading on the subject and have a rudimentary understanding of the pros and cons, but I'm curious about what the lay real estate/financially savvy folks who live in Texas actually think about it.

Part of our long term strategy out here in California involves a little real estate and I need to see if what we're doing here will work with what we want to do out there once we move.

Upsides? Downsides? Tax consequences? Know a good finance guy/gal in the Metroplex area? We already have a Realtor out there and she's been very responsive to questions, but she can't really advise. If you advise for a living, send me your contact info via PM.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    There is no good reason not to apply for a Homestead Exemption on your primary residence in Texas, unless you just like to pay higher taxes based on the full appraised value. Check with the county appraisal district for the form.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    "Homesteading" has several meanings. You might want to specify, especially if you're asking about it in the sense of "maintaining self-sufficiency", as it's often used these days.

diveRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    The Metroplex
    "Homesteading" has several meanings. You might want to specify, especially if you're asking about it in the sense of "maintaining self-sufficiency", as it's often used these days.

Interesting. Clearly, I have a lot more reading to do. Didn't realize there were that many distinctions.

So as not to bias any replies, I'll hold off on posting my intent for now.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Homesteading just lowers your taxes and provides protections under bankruptcy law. It's a simple form that everyone does on their primary residence.

There's no requirement to actually live a self sustaining lifestyle, just fill out a form.

Top Bottom