• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Well as some of you know I have been searching for a 9mm to complete my collection. Well I bought a brand new XDM9 a couple of days ago! It wasn't even ON my list of guns I wanted but MAN it felt SO good in my hand at the store! So I took it out shooting yesterday ........ :banghead: My first 19 rounds I hit the target TWICE! Stayed at 10 yards all day and put 200 rounds through it (100 blazer and 100 WWB) Towards the end of the day I started getting more on target but I have NEVER held a gun that felt so right but shot so poorly (for me. I know the gun can do better). Plan on putting a few hundred more rounds through her before I make any rash decisions about getting rid of her. Anyone else have trouble getting on target with a new pistol? If so how do you get on ( besides practice)? Thanks for the input all. This was the gun I planned on shooting with at the comps, but unless I improve DRASTICALLY it looks like I will be using my Bersa Thunder Plus. That would sure be one high dollar mistake though......:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    Lynx Defense

Attachments

• P7170092.jpg
      P7170092.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 226
    • P7170094.jpg
      P7170094.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 256

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I have some special elixir that I can sell ya, sure to cure all your ails....

You basically said it though, practice and lots of it. Switching gun platforms will change your shot technique a bit. Work on dry fire drills to get your muscle memory down. That should help the transition.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    If you don't want your problem, I can take it off your hands . . . . ..

good luck on fixing, though.

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    ha ha!! Thanks for the offer bud, but I wouldn't want to put you out or anything. LOL!
    I think practice is what will even things out. Also this is my first poly gun too, you think that would make a big difference?

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Usually about 1 second between shots, slowed it down on the new gun though 2 - 3 secnds. Two handed watching my breathing and taking my time. Used to shooting a Beretta 96 , bersa thunder , redhawk .44 , S&W 66-2 to name a few

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Sometimes a new gun simply needs time to "burn in". My youngest took his duty-issued Sig to the range the day they issued it to him, and the first 200 rounds had me telling him he'd be better off usin' it for a club. After that, it started settling in, and by 3-400 rounds it would put 'em whar ya aimed 'em.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    My XDm 9 was right on target from the first shot, no sight adjustments, no failures, no issues ... I didn't buy it to carry, but I'd trust it in my nightstand any time .. has about 600 rds through it, but it needed no break-in ... maybe there's just something wrong with the one you got; my only problem is getting the last 3-4 rounds in the magazine ... good luck ...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Actually those targets are not that bad considering you've got a new gun, with a completely different trigger system then the others you mentioned. Keep at it. I maybe dry fire to gain confidence in the system. It took me a long time to get used to my Glock, having shoot SA and DA/SA for more years than I'll admit.

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    I think it says in the manual of the XD's it says you should shoot 250 rounds and not worry about accuracy until the barrel breaks in. I could be wrong.

But, if you think about it all your bullets hit within center mass. Enough to injure an intruder. Thats what I think about my Sigma when I shoot it. I can't make one ragged hole but I can hit center mass well enough.

Lobo_79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    It's too early to kick yourself. My XD45 Service model did the same thing but I eventually got to the point where I could shoot it as good as my HK.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You just need to learn to refine your technique to the particular gun.

When I shot a friend's CZ75B I did something I've never done before, shot a pin off the target hanger. Now I shoot 2 - 3" groups with it at 25 yards. It just takes some time to learn a gun and find out it's little nuances.

Slow down on your trigger pull, be smooth and steady to the rear, and let the gun do it's thing. You'll develop a feel for it, and start to hammer out what you need to do to make it work. I tend to pull XD's to the right a bit when I shoot them if I just go out there and start blasting, Glocks I tend to shoot a bit high... it's all in how the gun interacts with your [bad] habits.

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Thanks for all the input guys. I did change out to the larger grip today and I am thinking that will make a big difference with my big hands. Other than that I am just going to stick with it at 10 yards and then move put some when it gets better!

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Just didn't fit me. I always hated myself for getting rid of my 96G and should have just gone with the 92 in the first place. Oh well. I am happy with what I have now so thats what matters.

Top Bottom