hornady dies

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by country_boy, Nov 27, 2009.

1. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Have a question about the hornady seating dies. Do they seat as well as crimp?? Ive seen lnl setups with the resize die, expander die, powder drop, cop checker, and finally a seating die. If the die doesnt crimp, then do people go back and run the ammo through a lee crimp die?? Also, does the expander carbide ball they make for the 223 only work in a rcbs die? Hornady Carbide Expander Spindle Assembly for RCBS Dies 219 Zipper, 222, 223, 22-250 Remington, 220 Swift - MidwayUSA

2. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    You really don't need to crimp rifle rounds. The friction from seating is enough. I load for both my AR and M1 Garand and do not use any kind of factory crimp die.

You might check with Hornady, but the thread size should be the same as on the RCBS die, so it should work.

3. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Threads are the same!

4. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Wow ok. I was told to always crimp any rounds that feed in a semiauto weapon. I think there was even a mile long thread about crimping or not to??:icon_popcorn:

5. Bullseye Shooter

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I've checked rounds that have been chambered in my M1 and AR. The bullet will creep a tiny little amount; around .01". Not enough to worry about but something that can be compensated for when you're seating them to length.

I do crimp pistol rounds however, especially full power .44 Mag loads.

6. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    All factory dies are standard 7/8-14 as far as I know. I dont crimp any of my rifle rounds, even running 223 and 308 through semi auto's. I dont think it is necessary in rifle ammo.

7. Bullseye Shooter

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Country boy was concerned about the threads on the stem that fits inside the die, not the external thread size. And yes, most factory dies are 7/8 x 14 except some oddballs like the dies for the Lyman 310 tool and Star Machine Works dies.

8. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Yes thats correct, the threads on the stem. I like the hornady dies better than the rcbs ones. Seems to me thats the way to go for reloading an ar-15.

9. TexMex247

TexMex247 Well-Known TGT Supporter

May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Rifle dies

I don't know of any rifle dies that also crimp. Bullseye and others will tell you, reloading for an AR requires much more skill and attention to detail than reloading pistol rounds. Personally I use a Lee turret press, it's a good balance of quality and fast production. I also encourage you to finish off your rounds with the "factory" crimp die by lee, both rifle and pistol rounds will benefit from the increased neck tension. It may not be necessary but it gives me some peace of mind.:smoker:

10. Bullseye Shooter

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    My .38 Special 1911A1 can be pretty finicky so I spend as much time checking rounds for it as I do for the AR and M1. Of course, they go a little faster since I use a Star press for them and a single stage for the AR and M1. Since I'm loading for competiton, I'm always triple checking things as I go along, but all reloading requires attention to detail and it's okay to be a little anal about it.