• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I am looking to try some Hornady 308 168's and I see two flavors, red box or black box.

Which one?
    Gun Zone Deals

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    Well truthfully I'm not sure. I just know that the tips on the red boxes are acceptable on the 100 yard range at Elm Fork so that's what I get

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Red box is geared toward "LEO only" and as I take it Hornady will not sell directly to civilians (company policy). Many other outlets will though. The red box ammo is an uncoated brass case and is cheaper as I understand it.

The black box uses brass cases that are coated with some black slick coating to aid in feeding and resist corrosion.

Both are reloadable cases and you can really tell how slick the black coating is when you resize them (similiar to nickle plated cases).

The actual load and bullet are the same. The powders look different but they both chronograph closely enough.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    The Red box is geared toward "LEO only" and as I take it Hornady will not sell directly to civilians (company policy). Many other outlets will though. The red box ammo is an uncoated brass case and is cheaper as I understand it.

The black box uses brass cases that are coated with some black slick coating to aid in feeding and resist corrosion.

Both are reloadable cases and you can really tell how slick the black coating is when you resize them (similiar to nickle plated cases).

The actual load and bullet are the same. The powders look different but they both chronograph closely enough.

Thank you. I have seen them both (mostly the black box) for sale but have also heard a few that say the red box is what to get. I am not one to believe the "LEO only" hype on some of these products. Since you say that the black box has the same load but a better coating for feeding those will be the ones I will try.

Thanks again.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The black box TAP rounds are in all of my defensive firearms. I am a huge Hornady fan all around anyways.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've shot some red box rounds. Never seen the black. They are really accurate. There several varieties made. So check the application before you buy.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    The black box TAP rounds are in all of my defensive firearms. I am a huge Hornady fan all around anyways.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I've shot some red box rounds. Never seen the black. They are really accurate. There several varieties made. So check the application before you buy.

The only round that I have been using to compare to is the Winchester 308/30O6 168 Ballistic tip. I have used both rifles when deer hunting nd they both have performed the same. Devastating round on deer. That's the round I have kept for my 308 as a defensive round but with the cost nearly double that then the Hornady TAP is the reason why I am looking. The only other Hornady performance I have seen is gel tests on the internet.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Ok, found it. The black box is civilian stuff, TAP FDE ammo. The TAP ammo, which has several options is LE stuff. They are the red box rounds. Here is the LE website that shows what I was referring to.

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/

I use the Hornady SST bullets to hunt with and love them. I load them for every hunting rifle I own. I shot a buck two years ago with a 30-06 168g SST load. It literally split his heart in two. It was only connected by a small piece of flesh on the top side. Damnedest thing I ever saw. That's why they are my only hunting round.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Ok, found it. The black box is civilian stuff, TAP FDE ammo. The TAP ammo, which has several options is LE stuff. They are the red box rounds. Here is the LE website that shows what I was referring to.

Hornadyle.com - Hornady® Rifle Ammunition

I use the Hornady SST bullets to hunt with and love them. I load them for every hunting rifle I own. I shot a buck two years ago with a 30-06 168g SST load. It literally split his heart in two. It was only connected by a small piece of flesh on the top side. Damnedest thing I ever saw. That's why they are my only hunting round.

Big thanks for the info. I compared them both and they "seem" to be the same although the Honady website doesn't say what the civvie bullet is. It doesn't matter since they have "Temporarily Suspended" production which explains why there are none to buy.

Since I can still find the Winchester 168 Ballistic Tip I will have to stick with it since Hornady is not a reliable source. The ammo is going to cost more than the rifle lol

Top Bottom