• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyrod40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2016
    My wife often rides her horse on the trails around the lakes in Denton County (probably Army Corp land) by herself. She does not have a LTC. We have talked about things for her to do if confronted by someone.
    I realize she could not carry a handgun on her person, but could she keep one in her saddle bag? Kind of like not needing to have a LTC to have one in your car. Even if the answer might be yes, would the fact that the trails are on Army Corp land preclude the carrying of a firearm by anyone?

Thanks in advance
    ARJ Defense ad

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Try this with a rifle on board

Attachments

• saddle scabbard.jpg
      saddle scabbard.jpg
      2.8 KB · Views: 246

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Interesting first post! Welcome to the forum!

Regarding handguns.
    Coincidentally, I happened to have researched the outlawing of carrying handguns in Texas (via the Texas state law library). The earliest recorded official change to state law was in 1870. This incorporated a change to outlaw the carrying of pistols in saddle bags (specifically mentioned). However, there was some apparent leniency allowed in the less settled (western) parts of the state. It might be noted, verbal restrictions could have (and most likely, did) precede this formal written change to the law, commencing earlier during “Reconstruction”.

No such restrictions were ever imposed on long guns.

There *might* be a viable argument that could be made in a modern court of law that would equate saddle bags with the “glove compartment” of a car. (Noting the concealed transportation of handguns are allowed without the need for a LTC). But it could still be expen$ive to test that idea in court!

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Concerning Corps of Engineer Land.
    No settled law. Their own rules on the books, still prohibit the carrying of firearms for self-defense purposes. And they will enforce those rules to your detriment ($$).

However, in more recent years (last ~7 years or so), when it has become clear someone has the financial means and intention to do so (i.e., fight them in court), they have the ability to force arbitration of the case. So, as permitted by their rules, the District Commander (I think that’s the level, if I recall correctly) will simply issue a ‘written permit exception’ to the complainant(s), thus ending their lawsuit. The Corps does this particularly in regions where they know they’d loose on Second Amendment grounds (at Federal District Court level). Plus, given the SCOTUS reluctance to take on ANY 2A Rights issues, those folks living in regions covering places like CA, NY, NJ, etc., are just SOOLuck concerning Corps land.

Congress has several Bills which try to redress this grievance but so far, they haven’t made much headway. I suppose it’s logical to think those same state mentioned above would not want “federal land” to have such permissive self-defensive gun rights, when they don’t even allow their own state-owned land (parks) such liberty.

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Consume my comments at your own risk. I am not a lawyer and I don’t even play one on TV. Good luck to you & your wife!

flyrod40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2016
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I guess a can of wasp and hornet spray and some sharp spurs will have to suffice. Seriously.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    My recommendations: Mugger Fogger and Sabre Red. All through Amazon, as I recall. (Don’t get it in the horses’s face or eyes):
    6269889e36893672bb2825c73ad4cd0b.jpg

33431ce3e4645b32b8d91294e13e914c.jpg

8b03e3790c359d2b5be8a32f345d6e34.jpg

Last edited:

McCrapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2018
    Central Texas
    Maybe be sure it is army corp land then weigh your options. Personally it wouldnt stop me from putting a pistol in my saddle bag. She does this all the time evidently, who does she run then into during those outings? Is it legal to ride the horse out there? If it is, what is the likely hood of a woman being stopped and searched? Is it better to be safe than sorry? Maybe that is too much legal risk for you, its up to you to decide. Either way asking the open forum will not provide competent legal answers anyway.

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    what lakes around denton? ray roberts or lake lewsville? I live around denton county so not only am i curious about which lakes because they're local to me, but also I might have found a new shootin buddy! :D

(That's assuming you have an LTC and frequent shooting ranges)

Top Bottom