• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    My father in law had two horses and a horse trailer stolen from his property off of FM 529 in Katy, TX. They cut through 3 locked fences to do it.

A conversation with a friend that raises horses explained that horse thefts have increased 1000% in the last two years. The reason is the change in 2 Texas laws. The first law removed the penalty that made horse theft a hanging offense. The second one is the more disturbing law change. It was illegal to butcher a horse for the meat, with very limited exceptions. Now a horse may be butchered and sold. It is thought that they have a value of about $200.00 to a butcher.
    The stolen horses had a value of $10,000.00 and the trailer had a value of $25,000.00. After finding the above information, I do not believe they will be recovered. The Texas Equestrian owners are fighting to repeal the law allowing the processing of horse meat in Texas, but it will be a hard fought battle.
    I was informed that most people no longer keep their horses in a pasture near a public road for this reason.

I know this was not a gun related incident, but I thought it was important to publicize this new threat. That next taco you eat might not be beef....
    ARJ Defense ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My father in law had two horses and a horse trailer stolen from his property off of FM 529 in Katy, TX. They cut through 3 locked fences to do it.

A conversation with a friend that raises horses explained that horse thefts have increased 1000% in the last two years. The reason is the change in 2 Texas laws. The first law removed the penalty that made horse theft a hanging offense.
    Texas has not had "hanging" offenses since 1924. lol.

Stealing horses has not been a death penalty offense, if it ever was, since the 1800s.

The second one is the more disturbing law change. It was illegal to butcher a horse for the meat, with very limited exceptions. Now a horse may be butchered and sold. It is thought that they have a value of about $200.00 to a butcher.
    The stolen horses had a value of $10,000.00 and the trailer had a value of $25,000.00. After finding the above information, I do not believe they will be recovered. The Texas Equestrian owners are fighting to repeal the law allowing the processing of horse meat in Texas, but it will be a hard fought battle.
    I was informed that most people no longer keep there horses in a pasture near a public road for this reason.

I know this was not a gun related incident, but I thought it was important to publicize this new threat. That next taco you eat might not be beef....

Actually, horse meat is illegal in Texas. See chapter 149 of the Texas Agriculture Code. Also read here; Legal Background of Horse Slaughter in Texas : Equine Law Blog

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    That sucks IXLR8. All the best in the recovery.

Related I heard on the news today that horse meat (up to 30%) was found in the supplied UK meat to many of the fast food names we recognize.
    Again that was all in the UK.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Off topic and believe me, I hope your father recovers his horses and trailer ASAP, but what's wrong with horse meat? Does it taste bad or something?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Off topic and believe me, I hope your father recovers his horses and trailer ASAP, but what's wrong with horse meat? Does it taste bad or something?

People think horses are more specialer than cows.

Sucks about the theft, hope they are found and someone pays for it.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Texas has not had "hanging" offenses since 1924. lol.

Stealing horses has not been a death penalty offense, if it ever was, since the 1800s.

Actually, horse meat is illegal in Texas. See chapter 149 of the Texas Agriculture Code. Also read here; Legal Background of Horse Slaughter in Texas : Equine Law Blog

Thanks for info TX! The information that I posted about slaughter is second hand but from a reliable source, a horse breeder in Waller. The breeder is very active in the equine community. Perhaps I did not understand the law, but the fear on the part of the horse owner was real. Thank you for clearing it up, you always seem to have an impeccable information source with proper citations of the actual law. I was not intentionally trying misinform people, but the information did appear important enough try to make available.
    Thats what makes TGT such a great place, you can get good information, and clear up misconceptions on almost any subject...

My wife said they should bring back the "hanging offense". ;)

Last edited:

Ericstac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    TX
    Don't Canadians eat horse? I heard it was a leaner beef.

Good luck with finding to them that sucks. I would be upset if someone took my horse.

NetPosse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    NC
    The owner of the horse has filed a stolen horse report with Stolen Horse International, aka NetPosse.com's website. Nelly has a webpage where anyone can see all the the details and print a flyer for her and post it in their community. Please use Nelly's link when you post so we can help you get more flyers in public places. Many of the recovered horses are recovred from flyers. Nelly's page link is: Report NR001840 - STOLEN EQUINE Nelly, TX. You can also veiw other report listings on www.netposse.com. Many of them are from TX.

Please help Nelly come home by printing the flyer and sending the NetPosse Alert below to your friends and ask them to do the same.

NetPosse.com Stolen Horse Alert TX: Nelly, 13 yr old Sorrell QH mare stolen rom Katy Tx, Harris County on January 23, 2013. Please go to Nelly's webpage by click on the link below for complete details, pictures and the flyer. Report NR001840 - STOLEN EQUINE Nelly, TX Thank you for joining our search for Katy.

Rogue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Katy, TX
    Do you have any pictures of the trailer? I'm very familiar with the area, my parents very close and i'm not much further. I'll be on the look out for it for you.

ballbandit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    awfull gutsy cutting thru 3 gates thats the type that needs to be caught and old texas hanging for a horse thief

Top Bottom