Texas SOT

(Hou) Where to take my 3y/o son to shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    So for Christmas I bought my son (3y/o) a Henry Mini-Bolt .22lr. Basically a beefed up Cricket. However I notice at the normal outdoor range I go to there was a sign that said; "Must be 11 years old to shoot rifles." So I'm curious where I can take him to shoot?
    Military Camp

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hey Robert,

How about setting up a pellet gun range at home for live fire training? Then, using that neat .22, use dry fire drills in positions or off of a rest. You can rig the rifle with a laser to see if he stays on target. Any practice is good for him and promotes bonding with Dad. Unfortunately, rules are gonna get in your way at a public range.

I taught my son safe gun handling with a .25 cal semi auto pistol (with my direct supervision) at age 3. He was very receptive and safety conscious. Believe me, I'm on your side!

Flash

Last edited:

JD9305

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Austin & Ranch in Llano
    Too young he needs to be on private property. Would be the best thing anyways so he's not getting scared from the concussion of other firearms going off. I never took my kids to the range until age 10 but that's just me. I'm all for kids shooting with parents though and hope you find something that will work for you!

Fast Frank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Houston (Woodlands)
    Yeah, I'm with everybody else.

I believe making guns normal and exposing them as soon as they show interest is the best answer.

I used a Red Ryder here in the yard to see how well the kids followed directions. Unfortunately, my grand kids showed no real interest so I didn't push it on them. My oldest grandson recently decided he wanted to learn so I have just started him training at 15. He's doing fine.

Unfortunately, nobody wants to get sued so there's not a lot of places that will let a little kid shoot.

Hopefully you can hook up with somebody that has some private land and do it there. Would be better than a range anyway- when they are young they are distracted easily...

Good luck, and good on you for being willing to teach that young man right.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If nothing else, take him a few times and be spectators. If he does good, I definately like to take new to shooting kids when they are the only ones shooting. One on one. Everthing revolves around them having fun. Don'y pressure them to shoot more than they want to.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    Thanks for the interest and ideas guys! I was more pressuring mama about buying him a gun before he started asking me for an "adult gun, not a toy gun." Since he started showing interest I've slowly been talking more and more about going shooting when he bring it up. I like the pellet gun idea. Might have to look into that. I do have a co-worker that has some land and a 9y/o son that shoots. Been talking to him, co-worker not son, about coming out as I feel my son might be more attentive with a fellow child/kid shooting as well.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There are lots of cool ideas to get him started shooting but don't delay. You'll blink twice and he'll be asking to borrow your car to go out on a date. They grow up fast!

Flash

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    A 3 YO? I hope you are kidding. Good way to get somebody hurt.

Six is plenty soon enough.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    A 3 YO? I hope you are kidding. Good way to get somebody hurt.

Six is plenty soon enough.

I'm not kidding at all. And with proper supervision and discipline he'll be perfectly safe. It's a .22lr single shot. Not a M240 SAW.

Attachments

• 13667860_10154353353547053_1370502953667686126_o.jpg
      13667860_10154353353547053_1370502953667686126_o.jpg
      37.7 KB · Views: 292

roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    I think what you are doing is great. My 7 year old is very comfortable around rifles, we started young too. We have personal property so age was never a problem, but I have talked to Hot Wells on 290 and they are good as long as the kid can safely sit in the seat with no problems.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using Tapatalk

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I started shooting a full size single shot 20 gauge at 7. Granted it was our own light loads but still bruised my arm bad for awhile. Shot a deer with dad's 308 when I was ten. First time I'd ever shot that rifle and he was smart enough to stand behind me so I didn't fall.

I don't believe either range I use has an age restriction. Just the ability to follow safety rules and 100% adult supervision at all times. But I'm on the other end of Texas.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    Thanks for the info and support guys. I spoke with one of the managers at SGA and he said he'll open up their back range for me and my son so I can teach him without the distractions of others. I'm not trying to teach him ¼" MOA shots. I want to teach him the safety and fundamentals of shooting. As he gets older will progress.

Swarf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    Try a precision air gun instead. There are high-power PCP air rifles that will make the best 22LR look like a toy. I started my kids on my air rifles at about 4-5yr old. Their hands need to be large enough to reach and pull the trigger comfortably.

With air rifles, I taught them the same safety and fundamentals... right in my own back yard. Very practical too. My son and I popped a bunch of mice feasting on our orange tree a few weeks back.

full-60986-83878-mice.jpg

Top Bottom