• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Wow.....simple stupidity and really unbelievable that this could happen. I've renovated and flipped a number of homes and never would have worried about something like this.

We all check and double and triple check our guns are unloaded before we handle or clean them. How do you not do the same before tearing down a home worth hundreds of thousands? Unreal.

Hope the guy was well insured at least. But sounds like there was some sentimental value as well that can never be brought back.
    Capitol Armory ad

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Sounds like the demolition company wants to make it right.

Get a lawyer( have your friend get a lawyer ) hidden costs can be substantial.( what city codes are exempt for 90+ year old houses that will have to be incurred with a ground up build?)

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I just hope he had insurance at all not that his insurance should have to cover it.

Years ago my buddy bought a house to live in but wanted to fully remodel it first. Insurance wouldn't cover it until it was moved in to.

Guess the thinking was that if the remodel found serious issues the owner might just opt to burn it down for the insurance payout. Not sure if it's still like that though.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    I think that is common among ins companies. USAA had covered my parents home for years. When they had passed I contacted the company to redirect communications to me. They gave me 10 days to find another insurer or non rental occupants before they canceled.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I just hope he had insurance at all not that his insurance should have to cover it.

Years ago my buddy bought a house to live in but wanted to fully remodel it first. Insurance wouldn't cover it until it was moved in to.

Guess the thinking was that if the remodel found serious issues the owner might just opt to burn it down for the insurance payout. Not sure if it's still like that though.

Unoccupied or vacant houses are subject to vandalism and break ins. That'a a big reason they don't want to cover it. The other reason is things like water damage that would be noticed and cleaned up quickly on an occupied house, but might not be discovered for weeks or months on a vacant house. The resulting loss would be rather significant on a vacant house compared to less than the deductible on an occupied house.

You could likely find a limited peril policy on such a house that wouldn't cover those types of losses.

Top Bottom