• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc79

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    San Antonio
    You know there's already a federal tax on ammo that's hidden in the cost you see on the shelves. I can see the Dems simply increasing the tax rate on ammo so it's even more un-affordable than it is now. The tax is already there, so nothing new for them to legislate :(

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    This is where they'll really get you:

A bill proposed by Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.) defines “assault weapons” as “military-style” rifles, including those with “a magazine that is not a fixed ammunition magazine and has one or more military characteristics including a pistol grip, a forward grip, a barrel shroud, a threaded barrel or a folding or telescoping stock.”

This is a very broad definition that covers almost all firearms. Keep in mind there is no barrel length restriction or action restriction.

Your grandpa's hunting rifle is probably included in this as well as any handgun you own.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    This is a very broad definition...

Over-broad definitions are an old trick.

Go back to the 1980s and read the first version of the original "assault rifle" ban legislation introduced by Howard Metzenbaum. It defined "assault rifle" so broadly that it included most rifles, a substantial percentage of shotguns, and 99.9% of semi-auto pistols.

I was much younger then and more naive but when I read that bill, it dawned on me that the people introducing gun control legislation weren't entirely to be trusted. :)

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Over-broad definitions are an old trick.

Go back to the 1980s and read the first version of the original "assault rifle" ban legislation introduced by Howard Metzenbaum. It defined "assault rifle" so broadly that it included most rifles, a substantial percentage of shotguns, and 99.9% of semi-auto pistols.

I was much younger then and more naive but when I read that bill, it dawned on me that the people introducing gun control legislation weren't entirely to be trusted. :)
    Bwhaaaaaaaaaa they haven't been able to be trusted since the beginning of time

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I understand defeating this before it happens is the best method, but even if it did happen, I have to wonder if it would pass Constitutional muster as being legal for them too tax an item at such a high rate. Also by such taxation, it would infringe upon all those but the most well-heeled at being able to own them. Reminds me of when poll taxes were used to restrict certain groups of people from being able to vote.

Another question that arose for me is, who is, or are the benefactors of said taxes? Could be a huge conflict of interest there.
    But yet those ass-wads can charge us a $200 tax stamp for a silencer and THAT'S ok?

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Nope! I have always considered it an infringement of the 2nd Amendment, simply because paying a tax to exercise a right, it's no longer a right, but a privilege.

Yet the NRA has been good with it for all these years.......

I would imagine they'd let this one pass, too......especially for all the fundraising opportunities it would provide.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Nope! I have always considered it an infringement of the 2nd Amendment, simply because paying a tax to exercise a right, it's no longer a right, but a privilege.
    Amen!
    They don't put any requirements on having kids, like being able to provide for them and take care of them properly, but all you need is a vagina and you can pop out kids like a fucking Pez dispenser all at the tax payers expense.

ronbwolf

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    This is simply another Quisling, grandstanding. There is case law, cited in the original Miller case, and used as the original reason to dismiss the charges, that the government can not, "punitively," tax something out of existance.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    This is simply another Quisling, grandstanding. There is case law, cited in the original Miller case, and used as the original reason to dismiss the charges, that the government can not, "punitively," tax something out of existance.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Doesn't mean they won't try and make people have to take it to court to get it over-ruled.

Legislators make and pass laws, and the courts decide if they are Constitutional or not.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Beyer is a multimillionaire (car dealerships), far left liberal in a DEEP blue stronghold of Northern Virginia (we called it Southern DC or Southern Maryland when I lived there). He has been frothing at the mouth for gun bans for many, many years. He honestly doesn't care about the means as long as he gets what he wants in the end. Constitution - eh. Can't tax something out of existence - hold my beer and watch me try....

Politically, he has nothing to fear as the folks from the NE (NY, NJ, MD...) that, over the last 20 years, have moved to that part of Virginia (and continue to do so) will continue to elect him.

TNMike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    McKinney
    I was an Eagle Scout..... Always prepare for the future

1654648898515.png

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

That guy is dumber than a box of rocks. Excise taxes are paid when the product enters the wholesale or retail system, not at the point of sale. Ain’t no retailer going to eat a 1,000% tax.

Whatever politician dreamed up this concept of a punitive excise tax pushed through reconciliation is demonstrating just how thoroughly broken governance at the federal level is. The role of government is not to punish the American citizen for exercising an enumerated right.

The motherfucker who came up with this idea needs to be making small rocks out of big rocks in Florence, CO, and not making sound bites out of Washington, DC.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    There is always a workaround. Why couldn’t gun shops take a clue from the breweries and sell a “token” which you can then exchange for a firearm. You aren’t buying a firearm, you are buying a token. A background check and 4473 could still be conducted to deliver the firearm.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    There is always a workaround. Why couldn’t gun shops take a clue from the breweries and sell a “token” which you can then exchange for a firearm. You aren’t buying a firearm, you are buying a token. A background check and 4473 could still be conducted to deliver the firearm.

Welcome back.

Top Bottom