• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C_Hallbert

Color Commentator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    A congressional subpoena and a legal subpoena are two different things.

A congressional subpoena does not require probable cause. Congress can subpoena people and information to inform the legislative or the oversight processes.

Oversight is a broad term; in this particular instance, the congressional subpoena is an oversight subpoena, from the Financial Services Committee, to inform the committee on “possible foreign influence” in the 2016 election.

One protection people have is that it’s incredibly difficult to compel a person to testify. DOJ isn’t the enforcer for Congressional subpoenas, it’s the Sergeant at Arms office. However, that’s a power play that doesn’t really go over well today, so Congress generally refers non-responsive parties in a civil suit to get a judgement from a federal court to compel an appearance or providing the information.

In those cases, the bar that has to be met is legislative purpose, and oversight can be a legitimate legislative purpose.

.....and alternatively, oversight can be used as an illegitimate political tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

phoenix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2014
    Tax records are one thing.
    Bank records? That's stepping across the line.
    After my taxes are paid, my money ain't nobody's effin business.

They are great for that. I hope trump takes some "action" against them like everyone he knows pull resources from their bank. Some of those upiddy chairs of committees really need to be taken down a peg as they THINK they have more power than they really do.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Maybe Trump should flip on them. Kind of like using an aggressors energy against him. If he thinks his records are getting given up anyway, and if he doesn't have anything/much to hide, he could come out and say, "Drain the swamp! We need to know who is running this country. Therefore I propose a rule that ALL top politicians, or all elected officials in general, are required to produce 10 years tax returns for public scrutiny!" If he's having to give his up anyway, make those corrupt dems pucker up and call their bluff. So many dems get rich while in office. Let's see where the money came from. We already know about Hillary's corruption. At least let us see the rest of them.

People in glass houses, bitches! Burn it down!

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Muller has already been over a lot of stuff and he couldn't indict Trump. How they figure to do better is beyond comprehension.My question is what happens to the Dems in Congress when they loose it and the GOP House subpoena's their financial and tax records as members of the House. The Dems are very shortsighted about abusing power than they cry likw spoiled children when it comes back to bite them in the arse.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Dems want to investigate his bank and tax records for MONEY LAUNDERING!!! I mean if Congress is doing it, why not POTUS?

Top Bottom