• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    House Passes Bill to Keep Creditors From Taking Guns - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

If you file for bankruptcy, you run the risk of losing your money and your car to creditors.
    But under a measure that just overwhelmingly passed the House of Representatives, one thing they would not be able to take is your gun.

The House this afternoon passed a bill that would change the law to allow someone going through bankruptcy proceedings to retain their rifles, shotguns, and pistols so long as they are worth less than $3,000 combined. (CBS Radio Capitol Hill correspondent Bob Fuss reports that, under the law, if you keep just one firearm, there is no such limit on its value.)
    Gun Zone Deals

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    i just know somewhere/somehow there is a big FU in this law. "3,000$ combined" wtf?? not to mention all you 1 gun/1 bullet barney fifes, well yes this is good for you. but what about us collectors with owning guns combined in the 5-6 digit ranges!! I smell a rat!! besides this DEMOCRATIC MAJORITY RUN HOUSE hates us owning guns!! so why would they spend their time on a bill like this????? cause they just set a PRESIDENCE to take gun collections now worth over the 3,000$ range if one goes BK or so!!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    When you file for bankruptcy, you often have to liquidate your assets to pay creditors. It has nothing to do with them wanting to take your gun collection from you, it has to do with them wanting to pay your debts. If you are claiming that you are broke and have a gun collection worth thousands and thousands of dollars, you ought to sell them to pay your bills.
    I'm glad they are letting you keep 3k worth and dont see this legislation as having anything to do with 2A issues.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    Hey Texcop, as i fully agree with your above statement, i still think they have something up their sleeve by passing this legislation!! there are alot of bigger fish to fry right now in this country, and this is what they spend their time on?? I SMELL A RAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    "I'm glad they are letting you keep 3k worth and dont see this legislation as having anything to do with 2A issues"

Yes, it does. Direct result in the McDonald vs Chicago establishing gun ownership as an individual right.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    "I'm glad they are letting you keep 3k worth and dont see this legislation as having anything to do with 2A issues"

Yes, it does. Direct result in the McDonald vs Chicago establishing gun ownership as an individual right.
    It has absolutly nothing to do with the McDonald case. Owning guns IS a right. That is not in question here. Nobody is taking that right away...merely saying that if you dont want pay your debt you have to liquidate assets.
    This legislation is focused on assets regardless of what they are. A large and valuable gun collection has value. If you are trying to avoid paying creditors, yet hanging on to a large and valueable amount of guns, then you not only could use them to payoff those debts, but have some other integrity issues to boot.
    How could someone own a $1,000,000 worth of guns and then file bankruptcy and not want to pay their bills? Your arguement would be that they have a "right" to keep all of those guns and just stick the creditors?
    The fact that the legislation passed so overwhelmingly should indicate that the dems saw no angle to work.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    IT wasn't about guns at all...it was about ASSETS! Some of our collections are worth some big bucks, and if you are filing for bankruptcy in order to pay your debts with your assets in an orderly manor, then, Like TC said, you SHOULD sell your guns to pay your debts. This law was never a gun issue.

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    At first glance I was skeptical about this. But reading and thinking further, I can see now where it's probably a good thing. They can't force you to sell ALL your guns.

While my collection is not six-figure, it's probably a nice 5-figure. Therefore, if an emergency hits, I would probably willingly sell off some.

I still have one question. If I am forced to sell off some of my valuable guns, will I be required to sell off my Elvis Pie Plates?

fnmedallion

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    haslet texas
    At first glance I was skeptical about this. But reading and thinking further, I can see now where it's probably a good thing. They can't force you to sell ALL your guns.

While my collection is not six-figure, it's probably a nice 5-figure. Therefore, if an emergency hits, I would probably willingly sell off some.

I still have one question. If I am forced to sell off some of my valuable guns, will I be required to sell off my Elvis Pie Plates?
    you can keep [8] for turkey dinner

Top Bottom