House Passes Gun-Control Bill Expanding Background Checks on Firearm Sales

CdnPlinkr

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 13, 2019
Surrounded by Great Lakes
Registration worked out so well in Canada, that they abolished that law because no one was registering their stuff.

If Canadians reacted with that level of defiance, how do you think Americans will react?
"Registration leads to confiscation" Sadly that truism is accurate. Since someone mentioned my home and native land, I'm going to jump in with a clarification.

While it's true that the 'long gun registry' enjoyed only about 50% compliance at best, that isn't how the registry became abandoned.

It took two consecutive Conservative mandates to achieve, and had to be presented to the House as a cost vs benefit argument, not based purely on principles.

After the Liberals' estimated $2M cost for the registry had swelled to over $2B and counting, data breaches threatening the security of gun owners, the violent crime rates being virtually unchanged, and responsible gun owners demonstrably not part of the problem, there was finally a business case for letting it go.

It was awesome to behold how the used market was suddenly flooded with shotguns and rifles after that measure took effect.

CdnPlinkr

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 13, 2019
I might add, stoic non-compliance seems like the most common mode of anti-authoritarianism here. That noisy defiance stuff is best left to people who actually have property rights, aka American citizens. We subjects have to tread lightly.

TheDan

deplorable malconent scofflaw
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Nov 11, 2008
Austin - Rockdale
stoic non-compliance seems like the most common mode of anti-authoritarianism here. That noisy defiance stuff is best left to people who actually have property rights, aka American citizens.
Unfortunately we don't have much open defiance here either. There were a couple protests several years ago I think in OR and CO where people openly passed a 30rd magazine around to violate the magazine bans, but of course nothing came of it.

Usually what happens is people just comply or quietly hang onto their prohibited items and never use them again. What's really disgusting however is when someone is caught, you'll see people chiming into the story with "win stupid prizes" or "why not just register it" comments.

Armybrat

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feb 27, 2009
I might add, stoic non-compliance seems like the most common mode of anti-authoritarianism here. That noisy defiance stuff is best left to people who actually have property rights, aka American citizens. We subjects have to tread lightly.
“Non-compliance”
The left used to call that “civil disobedience”, and embraced it when they objected to what the more conservative establishment was doing two generations ago.
It’s about time the center/right crowd adopted the same tactics to reject the oppressive dictates that the leftwing extremists have foisted on so many states in recent decades.

Sasquatch

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apr 20, 2020
Magnolia
Unfortunately we don't have much open defiance here either. There were a couple protests several years ago I think in OR and CO where people openly passed a 30rd magazine around to violate the magazine bans, but of course nothing came of it.

Usually what happens is people just comply or quietly hang onto their prohibited items and never use them again. What's really disgusting however is when someone is caught, you'll see people chiming into the story with "win stupid prizes" or "why not just register it" comments.

I give my former mates in Oregon a little credit - when the Universal Background Check bullshit went into effect, a lot of gun folks came together in groups, and exchanged guns, bought & sold guns on the steps of the courthouses and capitol steps in protest of that stupid law, and to show how ineffective it is in reality. Some of them were video recorded and are out there on YouTube and other sites for posterity.

Its hard to get Oregon's non-radical lefties to come together come time to vote, especially to get them to rally behind one candidate - but they will stick a finger in the air to the Queen pretty readily.

CdnPlinkr

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 13, 2019
Making sport of the registry was also popular for a time. People were registering staple guns, glue guns, caulking guns, etc. not to mention trading guns around between friends multiple times just to bury the cubicle dwellers in paperwork.

It wouldn't have taken very long after it was officially abandoned for it to become hopelessly outdated, even if some govt actors took it upon themselves to retain copies, against the express will of parliament. And there is some proof that is what happened.

Top Bottom