• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archangel1596

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Sugar Land
    I have been looking to build an AR15 and have been to SOG twice, but have also heard that although the quality is great, they are ridiculously expensive. Does anyone know of any other good shops, especially on the southwest side of town?
    Military Camp

BigRedDog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Katy
    Try Texas Tactical Gear

Jen is good people.

281-484-0800

se side but worth the drive, I drive there from Katy, RIGHT PAST SOG.

30+GSXR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I went to a store on the south west side "Fountain Firearms" That store was stuffed with all kinds of goodies. - Might be worth a look see.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    texas Tactical - Jen Workman, 45 and dixie farm I think

The Armory, Chris, League city, 45 and 518.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    SOG is not only expensive ~ you have to assault them to get any assistance. I don't go there anymore. Plus, I tried to get a firearm transfered to them but they made it impossible and I went elsewhere.

Archangel1596

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Sugar Land
    I think I might just get my lower receiver from SOG. They are having a good deal on a lower frame for $85 and lower parts kit for $69. If anyone knows of any other good deals, that would be cool. I have been to Fountain Firearms before, but they mostly have handguns and the like, but a really good place if you want a Glock. Thanks SC-Texas and BigRed for the new locations. I will have to check them out.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    For other non-FFL parts > there are many, many great AR online parts companies.
    Pretty quick to ship, no sales tax (but there is shipping chgs) and you can get exactly what you want.
    I would find it very hard to get everything I wanted locally, but not impossible if you are not picky (unfortunately I am).
    Otherwise if you must buy locally ~ I would wait until the next Gun Show (like this Sat in Pasadena)
    Good Luck.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    You might try Rob over at Talon Arms. Not only is he a forum sponsor but he is a hell of a nice guy. They know the AR platform backwards and forwards and can get anything for you if they dont have it. I have bought 2 or 3 AR's from him.

jgon281

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Sugar Land
    those guys are very helpful @ SOG ... seems most of them have military experience . Fun to chat em' up and b.s. w/ them too... You can get stuff on the web cheaper but owning and operating a store front makes SOG raise prices . They are well stocked now ! Those milled and anodized receivers that they carry are so so sweet !!!! I will take one in dark earth please !!!!!! Santa are you digging this ?

Bily Lovec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'll say experiences at SOG are very inconsistant. I really dont care what they did in a previous life, in this life they are a salesman... act like it.
    I believe if you search around, you'll find SOG misrepresented some of their items. as in saying you were buying a colt when in fact it was something Sgt. Bubby pieced together in the back of their store from multi-vendors.
    Personally, I gave them three chances, I'll never step foot in their store again, or their gunshow booth.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I'll say experiences at SOG are very inconsistant. I really dont care what they did in a previous life, in this life they are a salesman... act like it.
    I believe if you search around, you'll find SOG misrepresented some of their items. as in saying you were buying a colt when in fact it was something Sgt. Bubby pieced together in the back of their store from multi-vendors.
    Personally, I gave them three chances, I'll never step foot in their store again, or their gunshow booth.

SOG may have some OK stuff but their customer service is AWFUL.

cohiba550

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    Spring
    You might try Rob over at Talon Arms. Not only is he a forum sponsor but he is a hell of a nice guy. They know the AR platform backwards and forwards and can get anything for you if they dont have it. I have bought 2 or 3 AR's from him.

Do they have a store front or online only?

Rugrash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Do they have a store front or online only?

Talon does not have a store front, but just call Rob at 713-529-2910 and he can help you over the phone no problem. When the time comes to pick up your rifle he'll just make an appointment for you to come in and fill out the 4473 etc. He can build you a fully customized gun or we can sell you a commercial one. There are a ton of options, as you know, and he can help you decide what you NEED vs what's tacticool or whatever. We deal with HPD (SWAT and Narcotics), Secret Service, Treasury, as well as our military both here and abroad.

Thanks!

sean gaines

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    katy, Texas
    Talon arms seems to have the best prices I have seen here in houston, but I have a problem reaching him on the phone......Robert if you see this.... dont hate me. lol. but his website has excellent prices, probably the best in houston, and he is a friendly guy, and has the expertise.

clonies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Houston
    If you're still building one, message me. I'll assist you in putting together a top-notch rifle together for $942. Or less depending on your budget.

Top Bottom