• ...and so much more!
  • Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Hey Houston guys -

Got a free weekend (wife & daughter will be out of town) and I thought about driving down from Austin to the show at George R Brown. How is it? If I'm not mistaken, it's put on by the same promoter who does the San Antonio Gun Show, which I've really enjoyed the couple of times I've been.

I understand parking isn't cheap but other than that, what do y'all think of this particular show?

Thanks!
    Texas SOT

jpg366

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2010
    Humble, TX
    Good show. Lots of them in Houston lately. I actually like the ones at Reliant Center better, since they seem to be larger.

firefree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Crosby
    After paying to park, paying to get in, and being treated like a criminal for being stupid enough to bring a "trade" gun to a gun show, its really tough to find a bargin anymore. The internet is cheaper even with shipping and FFL fees. Go to the show to see what you order online.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I made the trip down to Houston today. Downtown traffic was very confusing. I kept seeing signs that I-10 was closed downtown, take 610 and exit at 45 to get downtown. Once I got there, it seemed like every other street was blocked off due to construction. I saw a $5 parking lot between Minute Maid and GRB, but didn't realize that the entrance to the gun show was on the other end of the GRB (like 3 blocks away). Oh well.

The show itself was pretty good. Better than the Saxet shows we get in Austin, but I think the Premiere sponsored shows in San Antonio have y'all beat. I had been looking for a 357 revolver and found a mildly beat up Dan Wesson. They weren't budging off the price except for rounding down $3 for an even $300 out the door. Not bad, I guess. I didn't hear anybody budging off any prices, but for the most part stuff seemed to be reasonably fairly marked if you looked around.

No 9MM S&W Shields at all, unfortunately, which has been at the top of my list for a while. One guy had one in 40S&W priced at $499, which I assumed sold early. I also saw the elusive Ruger 1911 at one table, but I assume it went fast as well.

I need to make a separate post about the "cell phone holsters".

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    I went in the afternoon and all the parking was listed at $10. Ended up on the other side of the expressway and walking.

I saw that Ruger 1911 near the front about in the middle so it was there still about 3 pm. Didn't find what I was really looking for but one guy really tried to get me to buy something else that I really didn't want. Maybe I'll just go ahead and order the scope I want online.

I did see a few GP100's that were at a decent price but without being able to check out the lockup and all the normal revolver stuff I wasn't going to drop that much coin on a used gun. Nobody seemed to have extra zipties so you could do things like that. Might just have to save a little longer and buy new.

So nothing new followed me home this time. I couldnt even find a bag to fit my AKMS underfolder. Everything was way to long or just too short. Next time.

Radioman

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm lazy. When I go, I pull into the hotel, valet the car, and have A/C for the walk to the show.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I did see a few GP100's that were at a decent price but without being able to check out the lockup and all the normal revolver stuff I wasn't going to drop that much coin on a used gun. Nobody seemed to have extra zipties so you could do things like that. Might just have to save a little longer and buy new.

Yes, I noticed those GP100's also. That was certainly an option I was considering until I saw the cheaper Dan Wesson. This is intended to be a beater/woods gun so I didn't mind the dings and scratches.

Let's see if I can get this picture thing to work...

IMG_20120805_112055.jpg

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Yah, Houston traffic is a mess. Half the roads are closed and the other half are one-way only. But at least the roads here don't have 3 different names like they do in Austin.

Did anyone happen to see if any of those new Colt LE901 or SP901 multicaliber convertible rifles were for sale yet?

I'm hoping AJC, Bachmann, or Schrams will start getting them in soon. I think the big dealers tend to go to GRB and Reliant more than Pasadena, which is the one I usually go to.

RIG78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    League City (Houston Area)
    Went to GRB earlier today. Definitely a larger vendor area to cover (more than Pasadena). Stayed in there a couple of hours. Bought ammo only (this time).

Sent via MY iPhone (TapaTalk)

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    I wasn't overly impressed with the show, mainly because the dealers didn't have what I wanted. I mean really, are Rock Island Tactical's in 45 that popular? A few tables only had the display model and wouldn't move on the price or simply wouldn't give me the time of day. Meh, I'll buy it online but still support a local shop with the transfer & other larger mark-up accessories.

Interesting note though, it was damn busy Saturday afternoon with what appeared to be a lot of "new to guns" folks. Good to see but scary watching how they handled obviously unloaded guns. God help anyone that winds up next to them on the range.

Phat69

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2011
    Katy
    I almost arrested because the old man running the booth thought I pocket a magazine but it was a jar of WW II jap 7.5 I trying to find out more about.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    If we were seeing the same one, it was still there at noon on Sunday. LOL

Maybe, or else he had several for sale. I tried to check on it as I was leaving Saturday (around 2) but couldn't remember exactly which table it was on.

6 months ago I would have been in the market for one but since nobody had them I opted for an STI Spartan. I still hold out hope I'll locate a 9mm Shield one of these days, though.

Top Bottom