• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    What plenty of people don't know is that you can actually shoot prone on even the 50 and 100 yard lines.

Wait, what?!?

I've never seen anyone prone except for over on the 300-600 yard range. So you just lay on the hard-top between benches or what? Please tell me more!

Since I started shooting in January I haven't had an opportunity to try sitting on the ground or prone yet. I'd love to try it out next time I'm up there.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Wait, what?!?

I've never seen anyone prone except for over on the 300-600 yard range. So you just lay on the hard-top between benches or what? Please tell me more!

Since I started shooting in January I haven't had an opportunity to try sitting on the ground or prone yet. I'd love to try it out next time I'm up there.

Yep. Seen people do it a couple of times. Just bring a mat so the concrete isn't too hard on you.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    1) Yes.
    2) No rapid fire. Not sure what the definition is.
    3) Yes
    4) Depending on how crowded it is, you can usually park fairly close. If you get there first thing, you should be good to go.

2.) Rapid fire by ASC standards is 1 shot/sec. You are not allowed fire faster than 1 shot per second.

There are places that you can shoot a rifle standing. However many of the benches are blocked by an upper board that you shoot under while at a bench, to prevent you from shooting over the berm. All 50yd and 100yd have room next to the bench to shoot prone, however you must have control of that bench. You cannot plop down between two benches of shooters that you are not associated with.
    SBR's and suppressors are allowed. I have never even been asked about them, while using them.
    .22 rifles are allowed in the pistol targets. Pistols are not allowed on the rifle targets, except an AR pistol, or AK pistol.

Last edited:

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Wait, what?!?

Seen a tactical operator wearing camo pants and an FDE shirt tucked in shooting his high dollar suppressed bolt gun prone on a shooting mat... At 50 yards. ASC...

ECS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Victoria TX
    See? Like I said. There are folks who don't know you can shoot prone there.

Speaking of that suppressed MP5; one thing I really like about ASC is that during cease fire, you can do something like collapse the stock and leave it on the bench as if it's a pistol. You don't have to put it back in the rifle rack.

That seems like a small thing, I'm sure, but I have a really good Vector HK-53 knock-off that I'd rather not leave in that rear rack.

I always hope for hot Indian chicks when I go there.

Indians like what have a red dot on their forehead.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    What is ASC's policy about policing up your spent brass?
    Any heartburn using steel case ammo?
    Any heartburn using black powder firearms?

ECS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Victoria TX

You can police your brass or leave it. I've seen folks take brass to the point of actually being irritating.

I can't imagine there is a policy on steel case ammo.

Black powder? I don't know.

I've never seen an Indian chick in Indian get-up out there. Typically, it may be a chick or two out there with some presumably family member who has an AR. Some guy has an AR and he brings the whole family out.

Those ladies will hog the spotting scopes, or maybe they'll set their purses in the rifle racks so that there is no place for your rifle. They're just having a good time. Work with them and have a little patience. It all works out.

I think ASC is a lot of fun. They get the same online reviews as everyone else. All these places get reviews that would have you think that surely you'll be shot if you go there. I actually feel completely safe at ASC.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have seen black powder being shot out there before.

It took about a minute to clear the smoke from the black powder rifle enough to see the targets, one time when it was very still. You don't make a lot of friends with the shooters near you.
    Grumper shouldn't have any problem seeing through it with his new FLIR thermal scope... ;)

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The only thing I have seen them prohibit is tracer ammo.
    They sweep up the brass pretty regularly. Before they do, they use one of those magnets on wheels that roofers use to pick up nails, to pick the steel cased stuff up.

Last edited:

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I have one of those magnetic sweepers. Use it wherever the range rules say to pick up your steel cases. I always pick up my empty brass as I reload.
    If we are gonna do rifles I think I will bring the 1903 Springfield, M1 Garand, etc.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Wish they were open on Mondays. After being in the hospital with wifey all weekend I am ready. Definitely going out Tuesday morning if anyone is interested. I will be function testing/sighting in my Texas lower build.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Wish they were open on Mondays. After being in the hospital with wifey all weekend I am ready. Definitely going out Tuesday morning if anyone is interested. I will be function testing/sighting in my Texas lower build.

Can't do Tuesday. Can probably do Wednesday.

Top Bottom