• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sz20DF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    Houston
    Looking for help finding a gunsmith who is familiar with older Ruger Red Labels, late 90's. Just purchased a 20ga from a highly reputable West Houston Gun Shop. I'm sure it was checked out before putting it on the for sale rack, but I would still like an option on the condition. The older Ruger's have a problem with service and parts. If it's found something might be a problem down the road, I may keep it for just special hunts. Thanks!
    Texas SOT

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Was looking up Red Label gunsmiths on the interwebs and found this thread. Okay, so it’s a little old.

I’ve been wanting an O/U for a while and like the idea of a U.S made one. They seem to have some problems but I’d be willing to buy one if I knew of a gunsmith that was very familiar with all the faults. I’m leaning towards the 2011-2013 run. Lots of potential problems but supposed to be better balanced.

ETA: Location doesn’t matter to me, anywhere in U.S.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Biggest issue I heard about Ruger O/Us is the hinge gets loose prematurely. I have never heard a round count to define prematurely though. Hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands, really have no idea.

I doubt the average hunter would shoot it enough to wear it out. A competitor should be looking at something nicer anyways.

Personally I'd never buy a gun where a big concern would be having a gunsmith handy but that's just me.

Top Bottom