• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    This thread is to discuss the formation of a casual rimfire league/group/whatever at ASC (American Shooting Centers).

A few ideas to kick off the discussion...

- Using the "Rimfire Ranch" as a substitute for the traditional silhouette-style comp. Start at the closest "gopher" and keep going farther out, three misses and you're out. Both bench and off-hand categories.

- Bench shooting using the Rimfire Central 10-bull targets.

- Off-hand shooting at 25/50/100 yards.

Those are just a few things that came to my mind but I'd love to hear what else could be interesting to the group.

Let's hear it!
    DK Firearms

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Another thing to consider is if it is just going to be .22lr.

That .17HMR of my brother's I borrowed a few weeks ago shot lights out.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Good luck. I really tried to pump rimfire hard around TGT not too long ago. It was all good until decent 22 ammo went north of $100 for a brick. I love me some rimfire. I've been wanting to replace the scope on the Anschutz and get it out.

I figure we can make it as casual as we want so anyone can participate to what ever degree they wish. We can also make up our own games and rules to accommodate people's circumstances, for example...

Another thing to consider is if it is just going to be .22lr.
    That .17HMR of my brother's I borrowed a few weeks ago shot lights out.

Major Kong can use his brother's .17HMR but he'll have to shoot standing on one leg. :laughing:

Good discussion, keep it going!

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    what day are you planning to shoot?:machine:

No dates set yet, just trying to flush out the idea to see what people want to do.

Once we get some ideas firmed up I wouldn't mind going to the ASC management and asking about some kind of arrangement. The "Rimfire Ranch" is supposed to be $10 for an hour but maybe we can get them to let us use it for more time at the same price (2-3 hours?) or some other discount.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Major Kong can use his brother's .17HMR...
    Hush! I'm already itching to get a new rimfire bolt gun. I don't need any more encouragement.

Do they allow the hot .17s on the Rimfire Ranch at ASC? I imagine that .17WSM might really damage targets. If I'm reading their web page right, they don't allow any .17s on that part of the range: Varmit Village | American Shooting Centers

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Do they allow the hot .17s on the Rimfire Ranch at ASC? I imagine that .17WSM might really damage targets. If I'm reading their web page right, they don't allow any .17s on that part of the range: Varmit Village | American Shooting Centers

Looks like you are reading that correctly, although I've never asked them directly (seeing as I don't have a .17HMR).

Also, it kind of bugs me that on the webiste they call it "Varmint Village" but the sign at the range says "Rimfire Ranch". They need to pick a name and get everything on the same page. (Micro-rant over.)

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Had a chance to chat with the assistant manager at ASC today (Eric, Cedric, Ethan?) and he told me the situation and gave me/us a few things to think about...

He said that anything that disturbs the normal operations of the range wouldn't go over so well. Working within the system would be ok. (So no taking over chunks of 50 yard lanes or anything like that but using the lanes as normal is ok.)

Varmint Village / Rimfire Ranch: he said taking it over completely would be a no-go, but using some of the benches with others open for other folks is fine. He said getting a discount on the normal price probably would not happen, although I did find out it's $10 per hour or $20 for the whole day.

If we decide on specific activities and can present a proposal to them (James, the manager, and Ed, the owner) then we would see where we could go from there.

Secondarily, I heard from Doug (a rimfire guy I see up there all the time) that there is a group of 10/22 folks that meet up there on a semi-regular basis. I'm going to get in contact with them to see what their situation is and if it could tie in with what we might be doing.

If anyone has thought any more about this or has any input please let me know, otherwise I'll just plow on through the fog and let y'all know what I figure out.

Last edited:

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    It seems the temperature is finally heading in the right direction so I'm itching to get this thing started.

No updates on anything said/mentioned earlier up-thread (since June) so let's get this discussion going again. Here's my suggested plan of action:

1. Pick a date and time for our first meet.
    2. Pick two or three specific "events" to do. (50 yard bench, 25 yard off-hand, etc.)

Personally, I've been to a few of the "Zombie Plinkathons" at Bayou Rifles and it's getting me interested in the off-hand stuff, but I still dig bench work just as much.

Let's hear it!

:bring:

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Glad to see someone else try and run with this. It's hard for me to commit to anything until a few weeks after the TGT meet at Hicksville next weekend. After that, very interested in trying to take part in this.

Top Bottom