Guns International

Houston folks: When and where do you ride?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    To me, riding during rush hour is just way too much of a risk with the amount of traffic and idiot drivers. Do you guys and gals brave it or just ride in off times?
    Capitol Armory ad

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I hate to say this, but as a gesture to my wife I put riding on hiatus. We've both witnessed countless near misses, and a couple intentional road rages against motorcyclists. She would panic every time I left the house because of the real threat of being at least injured by the yahoos on the road, so I put my two wheels on hold until we can get a place out of the city.

NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I hate to say this, but as a gesture to my wife I put riding on hiatus. We've both witnessed countless near misses, and a couple intentional road rages against motorcyclists. She would panic every time I left the house because of the real threat of being at least injured by the yahoos on the road, so I put my two wheels on hold until we can get a place out of the city.

I've contemplated getting a dirt bike to get my desire to ride in. Just have to research where to ride one.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    When I rode it was North from The Woodlands.
    National Forest, or past Conroe, always out in the country somewhere.
    I rode in to work on the occasional Friday..

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My balance is shot to Hell so I sold my last bike, a Harley Sportster XL1200C, a while back.

My favorite ride was down to the river bottoms where 100 year old houses and moss covered trees abound. There is an old cemetery on the way and I always stopped in to pay my respects or to take pictures of wildflowers. I made the loop down the rural roads and circled back home.

The entire trip took less than 1 hour and the wind therapy helped me keep my poop scraped in a heap. I sure miss that!

Flash

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I forgot the Spring Fling. When I had my Honda Gold Wing, a lady friend and I used to travel out to Brenham where the Blue Bell ice cream factory is located. We'd tour the factory then go to the "Antique Rose Emporium", a few miles away.

Silvia liked the Cecile Brunner miniature roses, so we'd buy several potted plants and bring them back in the side compartments of the Gold Wing. We had good times!

Flash

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Fortunate that I live and work in a rural area near Glen Rose.

My biggest fear is an animal in the road.

I ride whenever possible.

Attached are three of the rigs I ride.

The DRZ is a hooligan bike and the XR650 will pull stumps. The KTM 1290 is the Austrian Goddess of horsepower.

This past weekend, friends and I spent 2 days exploring back roads around Fredericksburg.

Logged almost 1000 miles over 3 days, round trip.

I gave riding a couple times in my life. I was miserable.

If I ever hear the word "terminal" from my doctor, I'm buying a super duke and then running from the cops.
    f7bc57a63da7d4941a2275d810f5e2e2.jpg
    e1fe5af6afa4fcbc4d40e8dc6c8a1241.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Ever since I got bucked off my Beemer R1200RTP (in rural Liberty County) while running with lights and siren back in 2011, I haven't ridden again. But that's probably because I'm in a wheelchair when I'm not learning to walk again with my flashy new prosthesis . . .

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    To me, riding during rush hour is just way too much of a risk with the amount of traffic and idiot drivers. Do you guys and gals brave it or just ride in off times?

....to the OP and others - what a bunch of pu$$ys - I rode and lived off W23rd street almost 30 years - ever day, 24, 7, 365 rain, shine and yes, even snow and if ya can't deal with traffic or idiots behind the wheel in Houston or anywhere then ya should just stick to your 4-wheeled vehicle.

Leg-breakers kill fools, smart folks deal with it, as my deceased dad always told me "watch the front tires of the vehicles around ya son" - and you'll always know "their intentions" before they do and he was right.

My own rules are "Don't scrimp on scoot tires, buy the best even if ya think ya can't afford 'em" and "if ya don't use your rear view mirror around me you'll be replacing it - 'cus I'm removing it from your vehicle for ya" and oh yea - "NEVER" put the scoot on the ground/asphalt 'cus once ya do that your simply "along for the ride" and it ain't gonna be pretty (the second one taught by dad, a former flat-track racer).

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    I'm not sure what I just read....

Ya read some really excellent advice that’ll if followed will keep ya alive on 2 wheels.

An ignorant fool who thinks he's an invincible tough guy, pretty much.

Ya don’t read very well do ya – fools don’t last long on motorcycles and while talkin the talk is one thing - on 2 wheels I have walk’d the walk for 50+ years and over 600,000 miles w/ a goal of making a million before I kick the bucket.

Some folks are blessed and I just wish my last project with my old scoot mechanic would have come to pass, as I was slated to drive a multi-engin’d Streamliner at Bonneville Salt Flats we were building, hoping to beat the record Chris Carr broke the year after my friend and mechanic, a former SF Lt. died from agent orange exposure, he got back during his time in Vietnam. A real hero of a man that ran "sneaky-petes" as he call'd 'em in countries "we were never in" and who still holds many of the 47+ NHRA 2 wheel records, he once owned. Ya might of heard of one his troglodytes (what he call'd scoot mechanics) a man named Byron Hines of Vance and Hines fame. A onetime wizard with motorcycle rice-burner engines and a writer for the Dealernews for many years, called affectionately “Uncle Paul” by many, there at Love Cycles on Lovett Ave in Houston, Texas.

He called me an "anachronism" back in the early 90s when we first met as he had recently wrote an article for the DN on "Winterization: Texas Style" - here's a small excerpt:

"The following "Brain-Drizzles" come from some 35 years of racetrack and wrench spinning experience.

The only people that predict Texas weather are fools or foreigners," Wunschism # 19(*). I have to admit, many of us Gulf Coasters are pretty much sissies when it comes to winter weather riding. "Winter weather" here is defined as any weather excluding cut-offs, T-shirts and sunblock. Let the thermometer drop below 50[degrees] or get a little rainy and we park the bike, cover the boat, hunker down and glare at the sky."

He was full of "wunschisms", a real bona-fi'd character and we almost came to blows thanks to a "female troglodyte" which sabotaged my old Gold Wing I was riding at the time, which I'd had serviced there once - he decided to let her go and he kept me and we became good friends, huntin buds and I even spun a wrench for a time w/ him for nothing; as he'd compensate me by getting my parts at his cost. He even saw to it I became an honorary member of the Special Forces, Chapter 39 there in Houston for RSO work I did for them on their yearly get-together's down in W. Columbia, those men had the best toys I ever seen and I fired many many FA weapons on those weekends with the Sf'ers.

What I said may have sounded foolish to some, but those here that actually know me (former AR15.com'rs) - they know I don't BS about scoots, as they have always been apart of my life - especially when ya try to run me over with a 2+ ton vehicle while I'm minding my own business on 2 wheels, you are gonna know I don't play nice 'cus my life is worth putting up a fight for........

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Umm ... Anywhere and anytime. I've done more than a dozen Iron Butt rides (1k miles in ≤24 hours). My adventure bike has been down since the helicopter ride, but it is 'bout half rebuilt, so I'm sticking to maintained roads. When it's back in service, anywhere will only exclude deep water and densely wooded area.

Mostly I follow my Road Captain wherever she leads 'cause it's about the ride. And if you are wondering how I got a chick as a Road Captain, it's 'cause she's a stronger rider than you.

ETA:
    Thanks @easy rider for the popcorn 2 posts below. When I saw it, I decided to actually read the first post - doh. My response is misplaced as I'd simply followed the pattern established by the posts with pictures that had caught my attention. I should maybe respond to the actual content the original poster requested. So ...

Yes, I'm stupid enough to engage in the sport of "Combat Touring." I ride through the sea of zombies wielding portable battering rams that are remotely controlled via cellular signal. My expectation is that there will be at least one attempt on my life every time I swing a leg over - Houston rarely disappoints.

I'm at 44 years in the saddle with 1 helicopter ride to show for them. I've been LUCKY. My helicopter ride was the result of my own poor decision. Combat Touring is good exercise for situational awareness.

Last edited:

96fordsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    conroe
    Locally a good ride is 149 to Carlos. If you ride it on the weekends watch for cops. If you want curvy and elevation changes go to the hill country. Here locally the cage drivers don't pay attention so one most on there toes. If your static in traffic your a target, if your moving people will see you. Enjoy your ride!

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Locally a good ride is 149 to Carlos. If you ride it on the weekends watch for cops. If you want curvy and elevation changes go to the hill country. Here locally the cage drivers don't pay attention so one most on there toes. If your static in traffic your a target, if your moving people will see you. Enjoy your ride!
    Yankee's Tavern.

Top Bottom