• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RangerPointPrecision

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2014
    Cypress, TX (Houston)
    Thanks Adam. Reason I ask is that I had my 527's barrel cut down and re-crowned. By the naked eye, it appears to me that the muzzle is now not square to the barrel. He also put a target crown when I specifically asked for recessed crown. I know he did all of this without even removing the barreled action from the stock. I should add that this is not the same 'smith I mentioned in my previous post. I need to get this issue resolved, and may opt for threading/thread protector.

It's not uncommon for 'smiths to use piloted crown cutters on a fully assembled gun, but poor tools or techniques can cause the result not to be squared to the bore. Proper use of hand crowning tools can yield perfectly acceptable, and much more cost effective results, so there isn't anything wrong with this method per se. However, the only way I know of to cut a stepped recessed crown is on a lathe. If your 'smith did not give you what you asked for then I'd be inclined to ask for a refund or a do-over.

If your barrel is still over 21" long we should be able to chuck it without removal. If not, well, then it's the hard road.

AD

Top Bottom