• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rexster314

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Or anyone else for that matter. Can anyone tell me what happened to Sporting Goods, Inc that used to be in Houston? Loved that place in the 70's/80's then lost track as I went away for a while.
    Guns International

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    I think you're talking about the place where I regret not loading up on SKSs at their out of business sale. Big red and white signage, a store over by I-10 and what is now the Beltway?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think you're talking about the place where I regret not loading up on SKSs at their out of business sale.
    I remember missing out on the barrels of milsurp rifles that were sold for giveaway prices when the Woolworths downtown location (yeah, right in the middle of all those skyscrapers you could buy rifles) closed up shop. I had taken the bus to work and I could not buy because the rifles I saw at lunch could not be legally stored in the federal building where I worked. By the end of the day, they had been cleaned out.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Do you remember Deep River Armory?
    I definitely remember that name but the location and an image of the interior do not come to mind. The older I get, the more I realize I never knew much and I'm forgetting it all way too fast.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I remember missing out on the barrels of milsurp rifles that were sold for giveaway prices when the Woolworths downtown location (yeah, right in the middle of all those skyscrapers you could buy rifles) closed up shop. I had taken the bus to work and I could not buy because the rifles I saw at lunch could not be legally stored in the federal building where I worked. By the end of the day, they had been cleaned out.
    I remember buying my first surplus M1 Garand at the downtown Woolworth's in 1995. I entered via the tunnel and made my proud purchase. They had some carbines and 1917 Enfields too.

rexster314

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    It was off Harrisburg in the east side. Lots of warehouses around. Far as I know, it was only the one store. They did a LOT of police business at the time, letting us charge and pay it out. I bought an 8 shot 870 on time and a 700BDL in 7mm-08 and paid that out. Reloading, hunting, almost anything outdoor related.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Chimney Rock south of 59, can't remember which cross road.
    Yes! Now I remember it. I should; I used to live in the Gulfton Ghetto and it was quite close. I was in there a bunch. I didn't have much money then but I could entertain myself by looking.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Yes! Now I remember it. I should; I used to live in the Gulfton Ghetto and it was quite close. I was in there a bunch. I didn't have much money then but I could entertain myself by looking.
    Had a buddy move into the Glulfton Ghetto. I remember like it was yesterday having a preteen girl ask if I wanted a blowjob for $5.00. Swimming pools that looked so green you couldn't see anything but green. Classy place!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Had a buddy move into the Glulfton Ghetto. I remember like it was yesterday having a preteen girl ask if I wanted a blowjob for $5.00. Swimming pools that looked so green you couldn't see anything but green. Classy place!

So, how was it?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I wrote a much longer response and edited it way down; the content really wasn't suitable for a family-friendly discussion forum.
    So, how was it?
    I never (and I'm being completely serious, here, unlike most things I write) indulged.

I will note, though, that as a 21-year-old, I was interested in video games. The neighborhood arcade was the Apollo Game Room and it was, as you might expect, a drug distribution center masquerading as a video game arcade. That didn't bother me; I played the games. I ignored the dealers and their customers; they returned the favor.

I can personally attest to the fact that the incident noted by baboon was not common but if you hung around a while, it would definitely happen to you eventually.

I lived on Gulfton from 1978 to approximately 1983, a period when it was transitioning from just a low-rent neighborhood into what would come to be called the Gulfton Ghetto.
    ...I remember like it was yesterday...
    Baboon, just as a data point to help me with my memories of the timeline for how that neighborhood deteriorated, do you mind telling me approximately in what year that incident happened to you?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Baboon, just as a data point to help me with my memories of the timeline for how that neighborhood deteriorated, do you mind telling me approximately in what year that incident happened to you?
    84 or 85 IIRC. After he seen where I lived in Alief he moved. I had another buddy come down to visit about the same time. His Girl friends brother lived in the Gulfton Ghetto. First time he ever seen roaches was when he went to visit. He also got shook down by HPD thinking he was there buying dope or underaged hookers.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah, that lines up with my recollection. When I moved into the neighborhood it was OK. Then it got on a fast horse and rode straight to Hades.

Top Bottom