Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Houston Range Day July 22nd, 2012
    ***COST IS FREE FOR THE 15 ON LIST THANKS TO BEN ENGLISH***
    Spring Guns & Ammo
    9 a.m. to noon
    At 9 when they open, you just go to the check-in counter and tell them you're with the Texas Gun Talk/TGT/Mr. Owens' group. They'll have you sign a release and hold your license while you're shooting. Then come on in to the right-side range, closest to the bathrooms.
    4401 Spring Cypress
    Spring, TX 77388
    Phone: 1-888-788-GUNS (4867)
    E-mail: guns@springgunsandammo.com
    www.SpringGunsandAmmo.com

Range Day date and time is now set. July 22nd at Spring Guns & Ammo. Benenglish is helping me set this one up and will have more details later. SPACE WILL BE LIMITED THIS MONTH. Therefore, we are going to have a signup sheet. Please nominate yourself for a spot. Previous Range Day Attendees will be given priority and we will keep a few spots for brand new members. If you are sure you can make it, nominate yourself now. We're not sure the total, but its most likely going to be limited to 15 people and possibly 3-5 alternates(including myself and Benenglish... So really 13 open spots).

To nominate yourself for a spot in this thread simply state:

"I CAN ATTEND SGA ON THE 22nd".

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but unfortunately we can't reserve unlimited amounts of space inside an indoor range. Any person who is given a spot and no-shows will be on the black-list if we ever have another closed signup Range Day.

Official Invite List:
    Tejano Scott
    Benenglish
    Scap99 (+1 guest)
    Sugar Land
    Greg_In_Texas
    Tundra Wookie
    Jakassh
    Gramps
    Skinman
    Mucho12ga
    Radioman93
    Grumper
    midnightyell
    AKMike

HERE ARE BEN'S RULES. READ THESE CAREFULLY!!!

There are restrictions.

Technically, as an SGA member and the person who signed up for the range rental, I'm responsible for seeing that they are enforced. I'll be acting as a range officer on behalf of SGA during the meet-up. I'm also the person who must pay if anyone does anything stupid. If someone puts a 12 ga. slug into the overhead rail system and knocks it off the mounts, I'm the guy who has to pay for that damage.

With that in mind, I'd *really* appreciate it if people would read, understand, and comply with the rules.

Since this is a 25 yard indoor range, there are some specific rules posted. I won't bother with those; you can read 'em when you get there. I'll just tell you how things actually work.

GENERAL RULES and how stuff works

• Handle uncased firearms at the bench only and don't pass firearms from station to station. In general, move the shooters, not the guns, when you shoot someone elses piece.
    • Rapid fire requires the OK of an RO. If you're hitting your target, you're fine. If you're not, then please refrain. For members of the general public, the ROs default to enforcing a "no rapid fire" rule. Keep that in mind if you return to SGA on your own. We get a bit more leeway since we're renting the whole range.
    • Class III is allowed and encouraged (again, assuming you can hit your target).
    • ABSOLUTELY NO NON-BRASS-CASED AMMO in rifles and pistols. No steel cased ammo. No aluminum cased ammo. No polymer cased ammo. Only brass. Feel free to pick up your used brass. If I'm sweeping the floor too often for you to pick up your brass, let me know.
    • NO TRACERS, INCENDIARY, OR AP PROJECTILES. No bullets with anything other than guilding metal and/or lead. Surplus stuff with steel jackets, standard 5.56 NATO steel-core, copper-washed steel - anything of that sort is not allowed. This is one they mean business about since a while back when an idiot with a SCAR dumped a mag full of tracers downrange and caught the backstop on fire. Please don't give the nice ladies at the counter any static if they want to see your ammo at sign-in.
    Rifle rules and tips
    • Centerfire rifles are OK up to .308 Win.
    • There is no reasonable facility for benchresting a rifle or even for sitting down since this is a stand-up style indoor range. Offhand shooting will be the order of the day.
    • There are no rifle racks. Generally, the range design and implementation assumes one shooter holding one rifle. This will pose a problem for anyone who wants to bring a bunch of rifles. You can work around it by being careful...or you can wind up with your expensive piece clattering on the floor.
    Pistol rules and tips
    • Pistols are unrestricted as long as they use a straight-wall cartridge. For pistols using bottleneck rounds, limit to .308 Win. If you have a .375 H&H pistol, it'll need to stay home until the next outdoor meet-up.
    • No shotshells. If you have a .410/.45 revolver, leave the buck-n-ball loads at home; use .45s or .410 slugs, only.
    Shotgun rules
    • Slugs only. No shot, no multiple-projectile loads, no matter how large or small the projectiles.
    Procedural stuff
    • We start at 9AM and must be completely cleaned up and off the range by noon.
    • Check in at the counter with the big "Range Check In" sign. (Look high/2 o'clock when you walk in the front door.) Sign a couple of forms and give the staff either your range card or driver's license to hold. (If someone sets fire to the range, they want to be able to identify that person.)
    • A limited supply of standard 50M Pistol, D-1, and pistol elevation trainer targets will be available inside the range. If we run out, if you need more, or if you want different (zombie, multi-bull, etc.) targets you can buy more at the check-in counter. Available targets are posted high on the wall, directly behind you as you stand at the check-in counter. Feel free to bring your own targets if you prefer, just don't throw away all our goodwill by using something offensive. (And if you're young enough that you don't know what "offensive" means in this context, ask me when you get there; I'll explain.)
    • Wheelchair access is pretty good on this range but there are still a couple of obstacles you should know about in advance. If you're going to be using a wheelchair, PM me and I'll fill you in.
    • The target carriers at this range have been pretty well abused by the general public. Avoid slamming them against the stops at either end of the range; that's a good way to put a lane out of commission.
    Original Post:

Well, it's agreed... This month is going to be an indoor range somewhere so we can beat the heat. Benenglish(with hopefully some additional pressure from Cam) is going to see if we can get into Spring Guns & Ammo for a private session for a couple of hours. Any and all help getting us into an indoor range will be greatly appreciated, so if you guys have connections this is THE TIME to use them. We need enough range space for 15-20 people for approx 2-3 hours(pistol and rifle is a bonus). How are Saturdays working for folks? Would Sundays be preferred? As for dates, how about July 21st, 22nd, 28th, or 29th?

Also, how would the group feel about picking a designated weekend for future meets? Like 3rd Saturday of every month type thing? Or are we better off just being flexible each month?
    Guns International

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I really like and would prefer to stick to Saturday but Sunday is fine if thats what the majority wants. The 21st & 22nd most likely won't work for me...definitely not the 21st as I already know I have prior obligations that day. The 28th would be my #1 choice but the 29th shouldn't be an issue.

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    Anything outdoors should have a scheduled and a backup just in case there is a monsoon or something. So maybe 3rd with a backup of 4th Saturday for any outdoor meets.

Radioman

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    How about Saturday afternoon...here I am with lots of ammo and 5 shooters ready to head on out around noon today just to find out that you folks had already finished up and were heading on out when I asked about the weather. I guess I should have asked when ya'll were starting. I am disappointed I missed out.

Making plans for the next time. Any Saturday, outdoors for rifles (more than 25 yards), indoors for handguns is good, I prefer mid-mornings till late afternoons. ASC is good but it is a 45 minute drive from me.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    How about Saturday afternoon...here I am with lots of ammo and 5 shooters ready to head on out around noon today just to find out that you folks had already finished up and were heading on out when I asked about the weather. I guess I should have asked when ya'll were starting. I am disappointed I missed out.

Making plans for the next time. Any Saturday, outdoors for rifles (more than 25 yards), indoors for handguns is good, I prefer mid-mornings till late afternoons. ASC is good but it is a 45 minute drive from me.
    ASC is over an hour for some of us (1.5 for me) but its well worth the drive to meet up with this bunch. The next couple of months will be at whatever indoor range we can get in at though.

As far as the start time, it was posted on the first post which Tejano Scott was keeping updated as well as being repeatedly mentioned in the thread but sorry we packed up before you could make it out. I know alot of us prefer getting started as early as possible to beat some of that mid-day heat and it generally works out perfectly where its time for lunch when we're done shooting but I guess its something to consider.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Getting started early also allows us to shoot for however long we like. At first Range Day we started at 8am and left approx 3pm. Hicksville we started at 8am and stayed out there till 4 or 5pm. Yesterday was so muggy and hot, I knew we probably weren't going to last too long- but was surprised we made till 1:15pm or so. Honestly, the early start time seems to be working out for those who've made it out.

With indoor ranges, I have a feeling we are going to be at their liberty on start time/end time if we want to reserve lanes. So we may get a later start time, it may be earlier(if they want us there before they open).

I always want to try and accommodate as many people as possible. But I learned a long time ago, you will never be able to accommodate for everyone. And if your excuse if merely I partied too hard Friday night and didn't want to wake up early, well I hate to tell you that doesn't stop half or more of us from making it on time(and we're probably older than the ones who feel they need to sleep in and recover LOL).

Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    I am usualy tied up on the third Saturday, and the fourth Saturday and Sunday. Other than that it depends on my travel schedule, but I will make every effort to attend all of the future meets.

Carl B.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Well, it's agreed... This month is going to be an indoor range somewhere so we can beat the heat. Benenglish(with hopefully some additional pressure from Cam) is going to see if we can get into Spring Guns & Ammo for a private session for a couple of hours. Any and all help getting us into an indoor range will be greatly appreciated, so if you guys have connections this is THE TIME to use them. We need enough range space for 15-20 people for approx 2-3 hours(pistol and rifle is a bonus). How are Saturdays working for folks? Would Sundays be preferred? As for dates, how about July 21st, 22nd, 28th, or 29th?

Also, how would the group feel about picking a designated weekend for future meets? Like 3rd Saturday of every month type thing? Or are we better off just being flexible each month?

Do they normally allo shotguns indoors?

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    The 22nd is the only one that wouldn't work for me; my wife is off work the other three dates, which makes it easier for me to get out of the house.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Do they normally allo shotguns indoors?
    If you're asking about SGA, the rule used to be slugs and buckshot allowed on the right-side range. Then some numbskull actually put a load of buckshot into the overhead rail about 15 feet downrange, blowing the entire rail off its mount.

I think they're "slugs only" since that incident but I'm not sure. I tentatively plan on stopping by tomorrow and I'll ask at that time. I won't be going there today; I avoid the place on the weekends when it's a zoo.

If we wind up getting the back range reserved, shotguns are not allowed.

To Cam - I believe you said you tend to go on the weekends. Are you talking to anyone this weekend or do you want me to handle it tomorrow? They'll get confused if two people try to make arrangements for the same event.

To everybody - Keep exploring other indoor shooting options in case SGA doesn't work out.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Appreciate it. My new 930 shoots slugs so soft I wouldnt mind shooting them all day.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Man, I'd love to get the Mossy out again and run some shells through it. I'd really like to see what the buckshot patterns look like, but slugs work too. Damn, I bet that noise will clear out some elbow room on the firing line...

Top Bottom