Target Sports

Houston rodeo may not be a professional sporting event?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Looking at the paper this morning I see the rodeo is not sanctioned by the professional rodeo cowboys association. After some research I can't see that they are sanctioned by any governing body. I also cant see where they also don't pay their cowboys a salary like baseball players. They are paid a prize but so are many other amateur competitors.

What am I missing here? What makes this sporting event professional?
    ARJ Defense ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You have a GOOD question. While I don't think endorsement by an ASSOCIATION makes an event professional or not, I am afraid this is one of those times when you have to look at the law, try your best to comprehend the meaning AND legislative intent, and act accordingly.

In this case, it sucks...............

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    There have been two teens shot at the rodeo carnival and two arrested in the shooting there. I'd presume they didn't have CHLs.

I don't know anyone who's been arrested for carrying with a CHL into the Reliant Center or on the carnival grounds.

In this instance the law is vague and difficult to interpret. I'm not a lawyer but I doubt they'd have a better answer than that in this case.

Your personal assessment of the risks shouldn't be as difficult.

Voldermortist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    Liberty County
    The difference between a professional event and an amateur contest, is the awarding of prize money, instead of a trophy or ribbon. Take a look at the difference between professional and college athletes. Colleges go to great lengths to make sure their athletes keep their amateur status by not competing in events or other activities that allow them to make money from an activity derived from their particular sport.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    That law should be changed. Whether it is sporting or not shouldn't make a bit of difference.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    There have been two teens shot at the rodeo carnival and two arrested in the shooting there. I'd presume they didn't have CHLs.

I don't know anyone who's been arrested for carrying with a CHL into the Reliant Center or on the carnival grounds.

And don't forget the off duty HPD officer at the BBQ cook off that tossed a tear gas can into another's cook off teams tent...... Funny we have not heard any more news on his status. Hi jack / sorry.

Top Bottom