• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrankyBuddha

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I put about a hundred rounds through one a few weeks ago (it's nice to have rich friends). Holding it it feels heavy and kind of clunky but once you shoulder it is feels really good. Swings and points easily. It is short compared to other 16" carbines. Trigger is a little heavy but I didn't have any problems with it. It feels about the same as the trigger on my Windham AR. Recoil is about the same as an AR. Ergos are fine but will take a little getting used to. Took PMAGs and GI mags just fine. The stock sights are should be considered backup sights only but they work.

I really was excited to shoot it and I did really like it but after shooting it I wasn't $2000 excited about it. For that I could pick up a pair of ARs.

-Cranky

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I preordered one about a year before they came out then I shot one and canceled the order. Very heavy guns like 9 pounds unloaded and the trigger is horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    No, it is not an AR. But it is a very nice and comfortable rifle to fire. The stock trigger is very heavy, but it has a very nice break. It is nice that there will be caliber conversion kits available, but like the ACR I am not holding my breath. The trigger drops out by pulling 2 pins and it is modular so there will likely be replacements. There is also a very simple removal of an extra spring that does reduce the trigger pull. It can be done with a pair of needlenose pliers in about 5 minutes.
    So far no FTF or FTE's in 300 rounds. The accuracy is about 2 MOA on mine with surplus ammo. I never even tried the iron sights and mounted a scope before the first shot. It disassembles easily, and stays very clean compared to DI rifles. It is not for everyone, but I sure like it.
    Think of it as an SBR without a tax stamp, with the velocity of a 16" barrel.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    No, it is not an AR. But it is a very nice and comfortable rifle to fire. The stock trigger is very heavy, but it has a very nice break. It is nice that there will be caliber conversion kits available, but like the ACR I am not holding my breath. The trigger drops out by pulling 2 pins and it is modular so there will likely be replacements. There is also a very simple removal of an extra spring that does reduce the trigger pull. It can be done with a pair of needlenose pliers in about 5 minutes.
    So far no FTF or FTE's in 300 rounds. The accuracy is about 2 MOA on mine with surplus ammo. I never even tried the iron sights and mounted a scope before the first shot. It disassembles easily, and stays very clean compared to DI rifles. It is not for everyone, but I sure like it.

You forgot your pictures!:rolleyes:

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas

Attachments

• TAR-21.jpg
      TAR-21.jpg
      26.7 KB · Views: 171

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    If I had the funds to just buy one, I would. Currently though, I see no real added benefits over the AR platform, aside from the compactness of course.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Overall length
    Tavor 16" barrel - 26.5"
    POF P416 10" barrel - 27.75" to 31" (adjustable stock)
    M4 Carbine 14.5" barrel - 29.7" to 33" (adjustable stock)
    Steyr AUG 16" barrel - 27.2"
    HK MP5 8.8" barrel - 27.1" (with fixed stock)

Not having to wait 35 weeks for an SBR tax stamp - priceless...

Last edited:

rt-texas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    carrollton
    I've had a black 16" for about 2 months. Absolutely love it and would do it again in a heart beat.

Trigger doesn't bother me. I removed the spring and did a little polishing and it's fine. Very clean and crisp break. Overall weight maybe is a little heavier than most AR's but it fits into the body so well for me.

I rented one in Dallas to try before I purchased...didn't just blindly order. It was actually the first bullpup I ever shot. I can't compare to the Aug, have never handled one.

Can I justify the $2000 price tag for a toy, probably not. So I sold my Windham to my accountant for $700, so I only had to justify $1300 to my wife.

If you get the opportunity, try one. I'm happy I did.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I went with a US made sabre defense AUG a while back and have no regrets. The Tavor has some cool factor but the AUG is IMO the original bull pup and a proven design. Although they do the nato version that accepts AR mags, I opted for the original style. I have no problem with 42 and 30 rd. waffle magazines that I will probably never wear out. Overall, the AUG feels rock solid and shoots as well as any AR in a smaller package.

In production since 1978 and arguably the best bull pup chambered in 5.56 ever made.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Is anyone else bothered by the Tavor's use of what I'd call a knuckle guard instead of a trigger guard? Bugs the hell out of me every time I see a pic of this otherwise interesting and advanced-looking rifle. Seems like it's just begging for a negligent discharge...

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've had a black 16" for about 2 months. Absolutely love it and would do it again in a heart beat.

Trigger doesn't bother me. I removed the spring and did a little polishing and it's fine. Very clean and crisp break. Overall weight maybe is a little heavier than most AR's but it fits into the body so well for me.

I rented one in Dallas to try before I purchased...didn't just blindly order. It was actually the first bullpup I ever shot. I can't compare to the Aug, have never handled one.

Can I justify the $2000 price tag for a toy, probably not. So I sold my Windham to my accountant for $700, so I only had to justify $1300 to my wife.

If you get the opportunity, try one. I'm happy I did.

You go dude!!

:roflsmile:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Is anyone else bothered by the Tavor's use of what I'd call a knuckle guard instead of a trigger guard? Bugs the hell out of me every time I see a pic of this otherwise interesting and advanced-looking rifle. Seems like it's just begging for a negligent discharge...

How so? Not to be argumentative but I don't understand why that would be significantly different than most other rifles/carbines?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    How so? Not to be argumentative but I don't understand why that would be significantly different than most other rifles/carbines?

Because of the big, open space around the trigger. Sure it's inside that knuckle guard, but that's hardly going to keep the trigger from snagging on anything. With any other rifle, you'd never see something just slip inside the trigger guard and wrap around the trigger. Now look at the Tavor. It's one step shy of having the trigger hanging out with no guard at all.

Top Bottom