Join TexasGunTalk

How about that Tavor?

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by breakingcontact, Oct 11, 2013.

1. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I've never shot one. Who here has shot one? What do you think of them?

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

2. CrankyBuddha

CrankyBuddha Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I put about a hundred rounds through one a few weeks ago (it's nice to have rich friends). Holding it it feels heavy and kind of clunky but once you shoulder it is feels really good. Swings and points easily. It is short compared to other 16" carbines. Trigger is a little heavy but I didn't have any problems with it. It feels about the same as the trigger on my Windham AR. Recoil is about the same as an AR. Ergos are fine but will take a little getting used to. Took PMAGs and GI mags just fine. The stock sights are should be considered backup sights only but they work.

I really was excited to shoot it and I did really like it but after shooting it I wasn't $2000 excited about it. For that I could pick up a pair of ARs.

-Cranky

3. hkusp1

hkusp1 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I preordered one about a year before they came out then I shot one and canceled the order. Very heavy guns like 9 pounds unloaded and the trigger is horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

4. IXLR8

IXLR8 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    No, it is not an AR. But it is a very nice and comfortable rifle to fire. The stock trigger is very heavy, but it has a very nice break. It is nice that there will be caliber conversion kits available, but like the ACR I am not holding my breath. The trigger drops out by pulling 2 pins and it is modular so there will likely be replacements. There is also a very simple removal of an extra spring that does reduce the trigger pull. It can be done with a pair of needlenose pliers in about 5 minutes.
    So far no FTF or FTE's in 300 rounds. The accuracy is about 2 MOA on mine with surplus ammo. I never even tried the iron sights and mounted a scope before the first shot. It disassembles easily, and stays very clean compared to DI rifles. It is not for everyone, but I sure like it.
    Think of it as an SBR without a tax stamp, with the velocity of a 16" barrel.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  5. Charlie

Charlie Semi-Literate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    You forgot your pictures!:rolleyes:

6. BigBoss0311

BigBoss0311 Well-Known

Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Very heavy feeling. Bulky as hell. The AUG is a much better bullpup in my opinion.

7. IXLR8

May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    OK, here is a peek....
    That is a factory FDE ACOG mounted.

Attached Files:

8. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    What kind of hand position can you get on the front of the gun? Is it like a cabinet length AR?

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

9. IXLR8

May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
  10. T-FAST

T-FAST Well-Known

Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    If I had the funds to just buy one, I would. Currently though, I see no real added benefits over the AR platform, aside from the compactness of course.