• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Not being satisfied with how poorly I can shoot a rifle at times, I thought "why not punish myself with a scope on my Ruger MK II"?
    So this is what I did and what I learned...
    First, a bone stock MK II with a Smith & Wesson 1.5 x 6.5 scope.
    MKII & Scope.jpg
    Try to get it sighted in...
    Close, that's 10 rounds of Aguila SE at 25 yards, indoors, off sandbags.
    Nov 8, 2013.jpg
    Shoot a Monthly Rimfire Challenge target under the same conditions.
    Nov 15, 2013.jpg
    So this is what I learned:
    Don't drink coffee for three months before trying this,
    Drink six Shiners afterwards for stress relief,
    and that my MK II is a pretty good shooter.

I think I'll go back to my rifle to unwind for a while before I pick up the MK II again.
    Guns International

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Not being satisfied with how poorly I can shoot a rifle at times, I thought "why not punish myself with a scope on my Ruger MK II"?
    So this is what I did and what I learned...
    First, a bone stock MK II with a Smith & Wesson 1.5 x 6.5 scope.
    View attachment 25027
    Try to get it sighted in...
    Close, that's 10 rounds of Aguila SE at 25 yards, indoors, off sandbags.
    View attachment 25028
    Shoot a Monthly Rimfire Challenge target under the same conditions.
    View attachment 25029
    So this is what I learned:
    Don't drink coffee for three months before trying this,
    Drink six Shiners afterwards for stress relief,
    and that my MK II is a pretty good shooter.

I think I'll go back to my rifle to unwind for a while before I pick up the MK II again.
    Damn man. That ain't so bad. go easy on yourself. I love my MK III. shoot the faces up of the bad guys.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    They're more accurate than most shooters. I like chasing shotgun hulls on the backstop at the local range (25+ to the backstop) with my Mk II.

bptactical

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    CO
    You want to make it scary accurate? Drop in a Volquartsen trigger and hammer group. They are capable of uncanny accuracy with a few choice upgrades.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Shaking or some "movement" while shooting is fine so long as your sight picture settles down for that split second while you press the bang switch.

True. Reminds me of the old carpenter I knew who had parkinson's. I swore he'd hit his thumb every time he started a nail. Never happened.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I sure agree that a trigger job would be the best thing I could do here. Might not stop the shakes, but at least when I get them somewhat under control, I'm not saying to myself "is this thing ever gonna fire?"

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had a Ransom rest (machine pistol rest) and shot the Ruger Mk2 against S&W 41 and High Standard 106 Military rimfire pistols. I also threw a S&W Model 17 revolver in the mix. The results went like this:
    S&W 41
    HS 106
    Ruger MK2

I don't recall how the S&W Mod 17 revolver placed but it's common for one chamber to not shoot with the others. It's still an outstanding shooter!

The bottom line is this..............ALL of those pistols are excellent even though one may be slightly better than the others. ALL of those pistols will out shoot the shooter.

Note: The Rugers that I tested were steel framed, not polymer.

The Rugers are great and priced right. They cost 1/2 or less than the other three pistols cost in today's market.

Flash

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Shoot just one beat up sloppy loose Mark II, and you will start to collect them knowing the newer ones will be just as good.

Don't care for the Mark III, too many "I don't want to get sued features."

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    My wife signed us up for a handgun only fun shoot at a local gun range for my last birthday. I don't own a .22 pistol so I brought my 1911 which I'm fairly decent with and my wife used my Glock 19 which is the only gun she's comfortable with shooting. As we lined up for a warm up round I noticed EVERYBODY else was using some variant of a Ruger MK .22 pistol, my wife and I were the only two shooting center fire cartridges. Well, turned out that wasn't their first rodeo, my shots were decent and my wife's well..... most were on paper anyways. The other teams had well set up pistols for target shooting and they were tearing holes out of the center of the targets. Needless to say we ended up dead last, had a good time but those pistols are some accurate little boogers to say the least. My pride was demenished a tad after looking at the other scores, so having some first hand experience I'd say you can't go wrong with one of them dudes for target shooting, little bit of tinkering and you'll have yourself a very fine shooter.

Top Bottom