Military Camp

How are the prices at Gunshows these day?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    You have to think about it this way, gun shows are "shows" to me. I get to browse, fondle new guns and see what is new. Once you find something you want to purchase, look online for the best price. Now, you are armed with the correct info. to buy something. Either at a gun show, retail store or on the net.

There is a rare deal to be had at the gun shows. You just have to either carry a laptop with you, price guide or really know your stuff, IMO
    Lynx Defense

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    We went to the Original Gun Show at Will Rogers in FTW this past weekend. Ehh. The excitement and idea of finding little treasures is gone. Gun shows these days are a glorified gun & pawn shops.

Ammo was still overpriced. 50rd of .45for $24.99-$28. No thanks

The jerky did look good though

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    You have to think about it this way, gun shows are "shows" to me. I get to browse, fondle new guns and see what is new. Once you find something you want to purchase, look online for the best price. Now, you are armed with the correct info. to buy something. Either at a gun show, retail store or on the net.

There is a rare deal to be had at the gun shows. You just have to either carry a laptop with you, price guide or really know your stuff, IMO
    Exactly correct, like I said before too many people expect flea market / wholesale prices at these events. Not gonna happen.
    You are also correct that the Internet has also 'educated' us on pricing and availabilities.
    However, sometimes when you weigh in (gun purchase example) being to instantly take your gun home, no FFL fees, no freight costs and seeing/inspecting your gun and a neg of the added sales tax vs no sales tax, added freight charges and WAITING plus the FFL charges then >>>> IF the price is close it can make sense.
    I still prefer a FTF local deal because THOSE are the best deals.
    I still go to look at the "SHOW" too and even don't mind the other items for sale. So what if it is not gun related and I like Beef Jerky too!
    The only complaint is having to pay for parking and the event > adds up to about $15 total on average and I do consider that a bit.
    YMMV

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I love to go to gun shows. I can fondle all the toys and browse through many interesting booths. Many times I don't buy anything but I still enjoy looking (kinda like pretty women) at the merchandise. Since I live in N/W Frisco, which is not convient to anything gun related, I have to drive too far to just browse around so I seldom go any more.
    There was one gun show in Frisco way back when but some dealer (I think) had a ND. That ended the gun shows forever in yuppieville. Occasionally there is (or used to be) a gun show in Denton. I've been there a few times. The next closest is in Mesquite which is about a 45 minute drive through murderous traffic from my house.

Alex23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    NTX
    I agree with the idea that it is just a show. It's nice to talk with people and see some guns but its hardly some kind of bargain basement for guns. Not sure what is with the ammo prices though - do people actually buy at a 30%+ premium? Hmmm.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    I went to the show in Market hall today, cahs in pocket, looking to buy a Colt 1911. I was looking for a Model 01918 which is $842 shipped at bud's gun shop.
    that same gun was $949.00 at the gun show, plus tax. I went home with cash intact.

But I do enjoy looking at the guns, and I saw some fairly good deals on some guns I was interested in.
    But I've also seen deals just as good in the used counter at local gun shops.
    Still, I buy most of my guns from forums like this, locally FTF.

LoneWolf1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Texas
    I went to the gun show today in Gilmer. Not much of a gun show should've been called the knife show. There were more knives there , than there were guns.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    My biggest problem is finding a site online that has the gun in stock. And even then, you have to figure in shipping, taxes, and FFL fee. I'd rather buy in person, even for a few bucks more, just to not have to wait.

I'll be going to the Jan 2nd and 3rd, 2010 show in Dallas. Looking at Glocks and Kel-Tecs, hopefully.

If you are looking for a Glock, check out GT's in Austin. They have lots of police trade in Glocks that usually go for around $300 + tax. Pick through the pile and find a decent one. They used to only sell to law enforcement, but I was there in October picking up a Glock and they said they sell to the general public now.

Rabies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    Gun show is what they now call craft and jewelry shows. So it would seem by the last few I went to. Lets see
    Eye glass and jewelry cleaners being sold by French Quarter style barkers
    Yard art for the citizens of non code enforced villages that never see the sun shine
    Handmade jewelry, made by real Native Americans, from China. Genuine sterling pewter.
    Knick knacks and bric a brac so tacky they stuck to things
    T-shirts and bumper stickers on t-shirts of the bumper stickers.

And just how many Nazis were there? 100 zillion billion million and nine? And every one of them had 12 daggers, a box of swords, eleventeen flags and wore two helmets- made of fiberglass.

My $99 SKS with maybe $70 worth of accessories is now worth enough to retire on, at the Ritz with valet parking for my Bugatti. Ok. I exaggerate. A little.

Ammo was more expensive than at the store and for never heard of it before brands from countries that haven't existed since Pangaea split. I still bought some 7.62x39.

Maybe I'm out of touch since I haven't bought a gun in... dang, its been that long? I need to get to a gun show.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    AHHH FOR THE OLD DAYS TO RETURN.................

Been going to gun shows for over 40 years. In the old days, Joe, Bob and John would bring a pile of guns, lay them on the table and haggle away. When I attended, I'd bring a gunny sack full of iron to trade and haggle with. The best traders used wagons or two wheeled carts with rifles stacked on them for trading purposes. We came to talk, trade, haggle, brag about "the one that got away", share the best durned bargain I saw at table x55 with our friends. The gun shows were an event where folks who loved hunting and shooting could come together with like minded individuals.

We had friends from all over the midwest coming back for another chance at the "the big deal" and of course, we discussed politics, politicians and pending laws. It was glorious, fun and it was how our group bonded together. Many times as a single man, I spent the rent money to score the "big one!" I thank God that I had the chance to experience the Gun Shows as they used to be!

Now, regulations have stopped most of the private trading. I won't bring anything to the show to trade as most of the dealers are cash and carry and we have BATF agents jacking with private sellers. It's still legal to sell your own stuff but by the time they get through messing with you, it's just not worth it.

The dealers have adopted a surly, "take it or leave it" attitude and I miss them like the turd I dropped this morning.

Several guys I haggled with for years were sent threatening letters and one was arrested. Setting up stings for guys buying a gun then reselling it have been run. Some other old time traders have passed on and we all miss them. "They" killed the social aspect of the gun shows for a reason........ divided, we are weaker.

Now for the best part................. The guns shows as a source of social and political power are dead. Now we have the Internet! So we change with the times! We can check for the best prices, swap stories, brag about the big sale or purchase and talk about accuracy, reloading, laws, politicians and we trash folks who cheat us. It's just like the old days only better! We can do it without walking the gun show all weekend, paying admission or parking fees!

So....let's not mourn for the Gun Shows. Yes, the concept is dead but we just moved on to another form of group acivity.

Is BATF still monitoring us as threats to the "sheeple" mentality? Sure! They read these posts and to them.....I raise my middle finger. Freedom isn't dead just yet!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    And just how many Nazis were there? 100 zillion billion million and nine? And every one of them had 12 daggers, a box of swords, eleventeen flags and wore two helmets- made of fiberglass.

My $99 SKS with maybe $70 worth of accessories is now worth enough to retire on, at the Ritz with valet parking for my Bugatti. Ok. I exaggerate. A little.

Rabies.....You are outta sight! Welcome to the group and I will be sure to keep up on your zany posts! Rock on!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Went to the gunshow in Pasadena today. I left with every dime I came there with.

Saw some neat guns but the big dealers that had reasonable prices were backed up on paperwork. I have my CHL so it doesn't make any sense to wait for hours get through the line of people waiting to get their NICS checks.

I'm glad that I went to see some of the familiar folks but the show was not a good place to shop for firearms and there were no bargains.

Flash

Top Bottom