ARJ Defense ad

How big of a land to have private range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timf79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Texas
    My wife and I are considering to buy land in Texas (it's a long term dream in the next years) and I was wondering how big of a piece of land would we need to allow for a private outdoor range (strictly personal use).

I am thinking that forst of all the land can not be in a city due to city ordinance's.
    On top of that I would think at least 10 acres?
    Better something 25acres or more?

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm on 20 and theres plenty of room but it will depend alot on the location of your neighbors and the natural layout.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    A friend has only 5 acres, but his property backs up to acreage and he's got a very suitable backstop built. ( 50yrd range ) Neighbors are friendly and he shoots only during "appropriate" times of the day. I would think that 10 would be more than enough for me though; if I could afford 25+ acres, then I could probably afford to put in a really nice 1000yrd range too and afford the toys to shoot on it.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    State law in Texas says more then 10 acres, meaning 10.01 is good. If you are not in a subdivision and outside the city limits then should be fine. If it ever was in a city land grab then you would be limited to air rifle and shotgun. Just make sure it plats our more then 10. From what I understand this is a state law and counties can't change it.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    State law in Texas says more then 10 acres, meaning 10.01 is good. If you are not in a subdivision and outside the city limits then should be fine. If it ever was in a city land grab then you would be limited to air rifle and shotgun. Just make sure it plats our more then 10. From what I understand this is a state law and counties can't change it.
    No. State law prevents counties from restricting you from shooting if you have more than 10 acres. Many counties don't pass restrictions.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    My wife and I are considering to buy land in Texas (it's a long term dream in the next years) and I was wondering how big of a piece of land would we need to allow for a private outdoor range (strictly personal use).

I am thinking that forst of all the land can not be in a city due to city ordinance's.
    On top of that I would think at least 10 acres?
    Better something 25acres or more?

Any thoughts, suggestions?

If you buy anywhere close to a city get more than 50. Out in the middle of nowhere more than 10 should keep you safe from restrictions. Unless state law changes in the future of course...

tbendtom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    hemphill, texas
    Any thing over 50acres in the country is a go. Anything less and the county judge can shut you down. Anything less, make sure you are not in a subdivision. I have 2.1 acres that ajoins National Forest in a non-recoreded subdivision, I have not had problems shooting on my personal shooting range. Check the laws out, e[FONT]specially in the county you plan to buy.[/FONT]

tbendtom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    hemphill, texas
    Texas Local Government Code - Section 235.022. Authority To Regulate - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws
    I wish I were smart enough to interpret the law but I guess that's what lawyers are for. I have 2.1 acres that is in a subdivision but it is not recorded in the county records. Where I shoot is a very safe area and I use extreme caution as I would anyplace. Since it is not a recorded subdivision, my belief is that as long as I don't create an unsafe condition to anyone I should be ok? There is National Forest behind my backstop along with a hill and a berm of suitable height.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Texas Local Government Code - Section 235.022. Authority To Regulate - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws
    I wish I were smart enough to interpret the law but I guess that's what lawyers are for. I have 2.1 acres that is in a subdivision but it is not recorded in the county records. Where I shoot is a very safe area and I use extreme caution as I would anyplace. Since it is not a recorded subdivision, my belief is that as long as I don't create an unsafe condition to anyone I should be ok? There is National Forest behind my backstop along with a hill and a berm of suitable height.
    The section you reference here means counties may not prohibit people from shooting unless on 10 acres or less in a subdivision. You are fine unless your county has passed such an ordinance. Even then, enforcement varies.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Unincorporated away from city and 50+ acres and you should be GTG.

It is complex depending upon what guns you shoot, and where houses and property lines and the like are. The more the better of course.

Sec. 229.002. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:
    (1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:
    (A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and
    (B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or
    (2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:
    (A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and
    (B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

So to shoot a rifle and know you will be legal requires 50 acres min and 300 ft from any property line to be 100% safe. Avoid cities/etjs at all costs.

Top Bottom