• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roughnail

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Hey yall, just moved to NE Texas from Corpus. Never hunted in my state before but I've hunted a lot in Oregon since I have a lot of family there. I finally bought a house up here 30 miles north of Longview and I want to start hunting deer down here. What all do I need to be able to go out legally? The Texas website is a little confusing. From what I've gathered, Ill obviously need a $25 hunting license and of course my deer tags. I live right next to White Oak Creek WMA which offers public land hunting, after tags and the license what else do I need to be able to go hunt that land? For reference when I hunted Tillamook National Forest in Oregon, I could buy a tag and license and just willy nilly hunt, could I do that here or do I need extra steps/hoops to go through? I'm familiar with the proper limits, genders, caliber and everything else. I just don't want to be caught with a carcass and not have a vital paper. This is for rifle hunting

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Hey yall, just moved to NE Texas from Corpus. Never hunted in my state before but I've hunted a lot in Oregon since I have a lot of family there. I finally bought a house up here 30 miles north of Longview and I want to start hunting deer down here. What all do I need to be able to go out legally? The Texas website is a little confusing. From what I've gathered, Ill obviously need a $25 hunting license and of course my deer tags. I live right next to White Oak Creek WMA which offers public land hunting, after tags and the license what else do I need to be able to go hunt that land? For reference when I hunted Tillamook National Forest in Oregon, I could buy a tag and license and just willy nilly hunt, could I do that here or do I need extra steps/hoops to go through? I'm familiar with the proper limits, genders, caliber and everything else. I just don't want to be caught with a carcass and not have a vital paper. This is for rifle hunting
    Start looking to buy a hunting lease. Hunter Safety Cert. depends on your age.

Roughnail

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Hunter safety certification on hand, tags and license on hand. Access to land. If public land you must have a certain amount of hunter orange clothing. If private land clothing doesn’t matter.
    Where can I find how much orange i need to wear? I don't own any so Ill have to buy some

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Where can I find how much orange i need to wear? I don't own any so Ill have to buy some
    Google the regs. I want to say if your vest hat and pants have a good amount of orange you’re ok but don’t take my word google the regs. I do private land.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Get your Hunter Safety Cert. Read the Regs on the Texas Parks and Wildlife website. Get your Texas Hunting License. Get a Texas Annual Public Hunting Permit. This comes with a brochure which has a section on the White Oak Creek WMA.

Now go by the White Oak Creek WMA office, during the week. Its on Hwy 77 about a mile east of the 259 intersection. They are not the friendliest folks but they will get you all the info on both regular and special hunts. I would not mention I was from O-re-gone. They may take you on a snipe hunt. Just say " out west" if asked.

They have over 25K acres much of it is flooded bottom land. Do not go in there with a gun until you have checked in at the office and fully understand the rules. Don't even think about skirting the rules. DPS, Cass and Morris County Sheriffs, and Federal Wildlife officers, all have jurisdiction. Messing with one, or more of them is not my idea of a whole lot of fun.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Also, from past interactions on a similar type of place I hunted in East Texas near Mt. Enterprise a couple of decades ago, do not walk along a road with your rifle loaded.

There is a specific minimum number of square inches of orange your must be wearing, I forget the number.

It also helps to have topo maps of the area as well as looking at google earth images of the area before hand.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Public hunting is full of shooters. Archery is your best bet and you'll need a tree stand or two. Lock em and leave em or haul em out everyday. Oh the locked ones can get cut free or you might find someone else using it.
    It's not an easy game as you must pay big $$$ or get real lucky and find a property to use.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Been missing out the last two years. I normally hunt my fil’s property but he host out of state hunts with old friends so I typically let them go first.

Focused more on turkey season. A few beards out there during season. Last season I missed my shot…was taking a piss and then he showed.

Top Bottom