How do I sell my gun?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by radioflyer, Oct 5, 2009.

1. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I purchase a Sig Pro 2022 in April and since then found I just don't shoot it much. I'd like to sell it in favor of a gun i'd get more use out of it.

I've never sold a gun before so i'm not certain of my obligations outside of any other kind of sale. I have a few questions:

What is a F2F sale and how does it work?

If I sell over the internet, I assume I will need to verify the FFL provided and ship it to them.

What do i need to know before selling?

2. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    HiCap nailed it. FTF is the best option by far. Your only obligation there is to make reasonable effort to insure the buyer is legal to buy a gun. Over 21 for hand gun, lives in Texas and other obvious issues that would preclued them from buying a gun. Drunk as a skun, wearing hand cuffs, being chased by police.. you get the idea. Sig pro is a pretty nice gun. You shouldn't have a problem selling it. Just don't expect to get $10 less than you paid for it. It's a used gun, without a transferable warranty. Price it right and it will move.

3. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Okay. Does a F2F transaction require an FFL as well? Do i just meet the buyer at an FFL location?

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
  5. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple

You only have to be 18.

21 is only at a dealer.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You can be charged with making a firearm accessible to a child for allowing someone under the age of 18 to possess a firearm without your direct supervision.

The stipulation is that you can do so for defense, sporting, etc. usage and the law gives a defense for those common sense usages, but knowingly giving a firearm to someone underage for any other reason is punishable.

7. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009

Well hell that's easy.... :happy0001::texas:

Texas1911 - thanks for the writeup.

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Thankfully Texas law regarding gun sales is straightforward, common sense, and logical.

9. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    If i sell a gun in a F2F transaction, how do i know the buyer has transfered the registration?

A semi-related question:

Supposed I purchase a firearm from an individual in a F2F transaction. How do I register the gun in my name?

10. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    This is Texas, son - we do NOT "register" our Constitutional rights in private sales/purchases!<G>