• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I purchase a Sig Pro 2022 in April and since then found I just don't shoot it much. I'd like to sell it in favor of a gun i'd get more use out of it.

I've never sold a gun before so i'm not certain of my obligations outside of any other kind of sale. I have a few questions:

What is a F2F sale and how does it work?

If I sell over the internet, I assume I will need to verify the FFL provided and ship it to them.

What do i need to know before selling?
    Guns International

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    HiCap nailed it. FTF is the best option by far. Your only obligation there is to make reasonable effort to insure the buyer is legal to buy a gun. Over 21 for hand gun, lives in Texas and other obvious issues that would preclued them from buying a gun. Drunk as a skun, wearing hand cuffs, being chased by police.. you get the idea. Sig pro is a pretty nice gun. You shouldn't have a problem selling it. Just don't expect to get $10 less than you paid for it. It's a used gun, without a transferable warranty. Price it right and it will move.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Okay. Does a F2F transaction require an FFL as well? Do i just meet the buyer at an FFL location?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    HiCap nailed it. FTF is the best option by far. Your only obligation there is to make reasonable effort to insure the buyer is legal to buy a gun. Over 21 for hand gun, lives in Texas and other obvious issues that would preclued them from buying a gun. Drunk as a skun, wearing hand cuffs, being chased by police.. you get the idea. Sig pro is a pretty nice gun. You shouldn't have a problem selling it. Just don't expect to get $10 less than you paid for it. It's a used gun, without a transferable warranty. Price it right and it will move.

You only have to be 18.

21 is only at a dealer.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    from what i remember age 21 is the minimum for purchasing from an FFL dealer, there is no stipulation on a minimum age for possessing a handgun, just a minimum age for an FFL purchaser...

You can be charged with making a firearm accessible to a child for allowing someone under the age of 18 to possess a firearm without your direct supervision.

The stipulation is that you can do so for defense, sporting, etc. usage and the law gives a defense for those common sense usages, but knowingly giving a firearm to someone underage for any other reason is punishable.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    in this great state, one person shows up with a item for sale, another shows up with cash... usually a public place, but can be the house or any other place you feel comfortable doing business.

item and cash exchange, you shake hands and offer to grab a beer and go shooting, and call it good. a friend is made, and future transaction are 99% probable.

there is no requirement by law to transfer a firearm from person to person in the state of TX, only from a private individual to an FFL dealer, and vice versa... or if you are shipping the item like mentioned earlier.

Well hell that's easy....

Texas1911 - thanks for the writeup.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    If i sell a gun in a F2F transaction, how do i know the buyer has transfered the registration?

A semi-related question:

Supposed I purchase a firearm from an individual in a F2F transaction. How do I register the gun in my name?

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    i'm almost certain i may never leave texas.

....If they bring back open carry, i will stay for sure!!!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    from what i remember age 21 is the minimum for purchasing from an FFL dealer, there is no stipulation on a minimum age for possessing a handgun, just a minimum age for an FFL purchaser...

Okay, my bad. I just assumed that if you need to 21 to buy at the local gun shop, that private sales would carry the same stipulation. It's never come up with the gun's I've sold. All my buyers were well over 21.

So it's 18 or older then.

Top Bottom