• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoatFarmer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Texas
    I have a Vanguard by Weatherby in mind in .223 for 'yotes and squeaks, any unwelcome little non-game critters on a farm or a ranch. Do these guns shoot worth a hoot? Any person here have a Vanguard in .223? How tight are the groups? I know I could get a lot done with a 22 rimfire but it warms my heart to see a ground squirrel blown to kingdom come with a centerfire cartridge bullet. I sometimes blow up these little "Rockies" when visiting my brother's ranch in NorCal with my Browning BOSS in .25-06 but that is a deer rifle. I'm about 1 for 2 with that gun on squeaks. I want a rifle in a true centerfire varmint chambering. .22-250 can be rather pricey but .223 ammo can had in bulk for a song.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Nothing wrong with them. The trick is GOOD glass and finding the ammo yours wants. If you do, it will probably be more accurate than you are.
    Welcome.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Yep, welcome to TGT.

Weatherby makes some very good rifles. As long as you keep in mind the limitations of the cartridge, it should serve you quite well. I have owned a few Weatherby rifles in the past, and have been well pleased with their performance. Very good rifles.

GoatFarmer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Texas
    Nothing wrong with them. The trick is GOOD glass and finding the ammo yours wants. If you do, it will probably be more accurate than you are.
    Welcome.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have a Leupold Vari X II 1.5-6x on my Browning I love to death. A wise older man, a rancher I know, once told me that my rifle will always be a better marksman than me. His two adult sons like to sport their synthetic-stocked Remington bolt-actions in .223 on his ranch. He prefer his Browning lever job (not sure what caliber) with Leupold scope. Thanx 4 the welcome.

GoatFarmer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Texas
    Yep, welcome to TGT.

Weatherby makes some very good rifles. As long as you keep in mind the limitations of the cartridge, it should serve you quite well. I have owned a few Weatherby rifles in the past, and have been well pleased with their performance. Very good rifles.
    Weatherby at its site boast .99 MOA on all its Vanguards albeit with its own brand premium ammo. My Browning .25-06 is 1 MOA w/Federal premium on the bench. I can hit about 1 out of 2 squirrels standing-up or fence-post-supported field position with that rifle up to a football field long end zone to end zone. I have yet to open-field varmint from a portable bench, kneeling, bipod or in the prone. I've only shot ground squirrels for animals in the varmint department. I gather Tx has prairie dogs and ground squirrels and other nasty little unprotected things as potential rifle targets.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Weatherby at its site boast .99 MOA on all its Vanguards albeit with its own brand premium ammo. My Browning .25-06 is 1 MOA w/Federal premium on the bench. I can hit about 1 out of 2 squirrels standing-up or fence-post-supported field position with that rifle. I have yet to open-field varmint from a portable bench, kneeling or in the prone. I've only shot ground squirrels for animals in the varmint department. I gather Tx has prairie dogs and ground squirrels and other nasty little unprotected things as potential rifle targets.

Depends on what of Texas you are located as to prairie dogs. None that I know of here in East Texas. Some ground squirrels. Coyotes are pretty prevalent in most places in Texas though. Plus feral hogs!

GoatFarmer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Texas
    Depends on what of Texas you are located as to prairie dogs. None that I know of here in East Texas. Some ground squirrels. Coyotes are pretty prevalent in most places in Texas though. Plus feral hogs!
    Tx Parks and Wildlife has these animals listed as non-game species but this list is not exhaustive: armadillos, bobcats, coyotes, flying squirrels, frogs, ground squirrels, mountain lions, porcupines, prairie dogs, rabbits, and turtles. I hate porkies and would be glad to blow one to kingdom come any legal opportunity to shoot one presents itself. A porcupine once gave my stupid dog a $250 quill bill at the vet's office. I like to kill the critters most harmful to ranchers and farmers. I don't think skunks are protected. Are armadillos hated by landowners? Do I need a green-tip bullet to penetrate that animal's armor? I know hares and rabbits hurt crops. May fox in Tx be banged away legally if they are a pest on a farm?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Tx Parks and Wildlife has these animals listed as non-game species but this list is not exhaustive: armadillos, bobcats, coyotes, flying squirrels, frogs, ground squirrels, mountain lions, porcupines, prairie dogs, rabbits, and turtles. I hate porkies and would be glad to blow one to kingdom come any legal opportunity to shoot one presents itself. A porcupine once gave my stupid dog a $250 quill bill at the vet's office. I like to kill the critters most harmful to ranchers and farmers. I don't think skunks are protected. Are armadillos hated by landowners? Do I need a green-tip bullet to penetrate that animal's armor? I know hares and rabbits hurt crops. May fox in Tx be banged away legally if they are a pest on a farm?

A lot of species of animals in Texas requite no tags or permits other than a hunting license if on public land IIRC. But where you are located will determine which of those are going to be in your part of Texas.

No special bullet for armadillos. Even a 22LR will kill them at close range. Their armor is more for predators not bullets! As far as I know, skunks are not protected, but check to make sure.

Gophers are one that is a big danger to farmers and ranchers. Cattle and horses have broken legs stepping in gopher holes. Think of them as very small prairie dogs! Both are varmints. I routinely kill gophers with a 22LR or my 17HMR rifles.

GoatFarmer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Texas
    Weatherby vanguard is great and so is the Bergara B14
    I never heard of this brand so I decided to check it out at its website. Its works is in Spain. More expensive than a typical Vanguard and I couldn't find one listed chambered for .223. One webpage there also said their rifles were guaranteed MOA. The Vanguard line is visually more attractive to me and has a fluted bolt and three gas ports in the bolt body.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Well you need to decide. I have a Vanguard in .257 and the ammo ain't cheap. In fact unfired brass was about $1 per. My experience with the Vanguard is great, the bullets go where I point them. I took an antelope at 360 yards last year with it. Now as to weather to get a .223 or 22-250 well that comes down to what YOU want. Ammo prices today are not what they were 6 months ago.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I grew up in a place with plenty of ground hogs. I shot them with .223 & .308 because that's what I owned at the time. I have seen guys with 22/250 & 25/06 shooting them. 25/06 back then was a barrel burner. Both seemed very loud.

I personally never owned a Weatherby. Doubt I ever will at my age.

If I was wanting a dedicated varmint gun I'd look for an old Sako RIIHIMAKI in .222 Remington. Steyr Pro Varminter would be another .222 remington I'd look at.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    . . .

No special bullet for armadillos. Even a 22LR will kill them at close range. Their armor is more for predators not bullets! As far as I know, skunks are not protected, but check to make sure. . . . .

I’ve never understood why people want to kill armadillos. They are harmless creatures that eat grubs and don’t hurt a damn thing.

Mystifies me why people want to shoot them. A damn shame if you ask me.

Last edited:

GoatFarmer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Texas
    Well you need to decide. I have a Vanguard in .257 and the ammo ain't cheap. In fact unfired brass was about $1 per. My experience with the Vanguard is great, the bullets go where I point them. I took an antelope at 360 yards last year with it. Now as to weather to get a .223 or 22-250 well that comes down to what YOU want. Ammo prices today are not what they were 6 months ago.

I'm also thinking about adding a good .22 rimfire rifle to my battery for squeaks up close. Wolf .223 is available right now in this ammo shortage at 26 cents a pop if ordered online in a 500 count bulk order.

Top Bottom