• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Which is good because Howa is supposed to be good for the money. Weatherby Vanguard sounds more elegant than Howa though. Mark V's are getting up into the $2,000-something price tags.

Here is an article I just found that debunks the notion that .22-250 is a far superior varmint round than .223. It's a matter of sensible load selection for the critter and the range. It's also a matter of calling coyotes in closer.

".223
    I'll come right out and say it: The .223 Remington is the most balanced predator cartridge in existence. From small fox to northern coyotes, if you know how to coax a predator within range, it's all you'll ever need.

There is a reason most successful predator hunters sight their rifles dead-on at 100 yards. It's because most misses are over a dog's back. Despite the wet dreams of long-range fanatics, predators are seldom shot beyond 300 yards.

And for those that are, realize this: A bolt-action .22-250 and an AR-15 .223 firing the same 53-grain V-Max have a difference in drop of less than 2.5 inches at 300 yards (6.7-inch drop vs. 9-inch drop).

Those that claim the .223 lacks killing power are either delusional or they adhere to the Geneva Convention. Ditch the full metal jackets and place expanding bullets in the vitals of even deer-sized game and its lethality will shock you.

Not to mention the vast majority of .22-250s have 1:14 twist barrels, which limits bullet selection to around 50 grains, forcing predator hunters to forego the high ballistic coefficient (BC) bullets that excel as the ranges stretch. This gives the .223 and its common 1:9 or faster twist barrel ready access to modern, high BC bullets, significantly upping its power, versatility, and range.

Can the .223 compete with the speed of the .22-250? Nope. Nor can it equal the .22-250's ability to transform high-dollar bobcats into hideous rags of fur, flesh, and bone. The mild-mannered .223 offers plenty of lethality without excessive pelt damage or muzzle blast. It's simply a more all-around predator cartridge. - David Faubion"

.22-250 will decimate your bank account as well as the value of predator pelts.

For shooting small furry critters in terms of dollars and cents for ammo cost:

.22 rimfire is a Volkswagen beetle
    .223 is a Buick, a poor man's Cadillac
    .22-250 is a Cadillac
    Picking a varmint round is all about tailoring to your needs. It's not cut and dry. A lot of factors at play. Your terrain and wind being 2 important ones.

.223 is a solid all around performer. If I could just pick one... that'd be it.

.17hmr is great and cheap. I have mine set up on a rabbit sized target where its point and shoot out to 260yrds

.223 in ar platform is my thermal set up. Semi auto with the fast follow ups is great when you call in a pair. It's also light weight. Its sighted in at 50yrds. Its point and shoot out to 240yrds

But- my Savage in .243 with hornady 58g vmax is nasty. Its around 4,000fps. Its sighted in at 43yrds and is on out to 350yrds.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Let's not overlook the sleeper round for varmints....204 Ruger. My M77 is flat and fast. Longest kill shot was over 500yds on a yote. If reloading cost is about same as 223.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Is this a doc, that went on holiday....
    1597514671914.png

GoatFarmer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Texas
    Picking a varmint round is all about tailoring to your needs. It's not cut and dry. A lot of factors at play. Your terrain and wind being 2 important ones.

.223 is a solid all around performer. If I could just pick one... that'd be it.

.17hmr is great and cheap. I have mine set up on a rabbit sized target where its point and shoot out to 260yrds

.223 in ar platform is my thermal set up. Semi auto with the fast follow ups is great when you call in a pair. It's also light weight. Its sighted in at 50yrds. Its point and shoot out to 240yrds

But- my Savage in .243 with hornady 58g vmax is nasty. Its around 4,000fps. Its sighted in at 43yrds and is on out to 350yrds.

Looking at everything in terms of dollars and cents, it sounds like the .22-250 might be as useless as __ on a bull after all. Many claim that the AR platform is no tack-driver for long-range gophers. There is no cheap bolt-action rifle chambered in 5.56 NATO that I know of and .223 seems rather decent in the accuracy department.

Now, I have to think about assembling the economy varmint battery:

1. .17 HMR bolt-action rifle for serious budget squeak, bunny, skunk, crow, coon and fox control every day on ranch or farm
    2. .223 bolt-action rifle maybe for both kinds of "dogs" and bobcat or when I feel like spending a little more money to blow up rats just for fun

I can't see where a .22LR would fit there for practical reasons. Maybe rats in the barn?

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    A 17HMR will work fine for coyotes. My friends dad in Montana uses one. It's all about shot placement. The yotes up there are large too. Bobcat are generally smaller than foxes (at least the one's I've shot) so same pill for them. Only downside I have with my 17 is the further out the shot, the more sporadic the bullet is.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking at everything in terms of dollars and cents, it sounds like the .22-250 might be as useless as __ on a bull after all. Many claim that the AR platform is no tack-driver for long-range gophers. There is no cheap bolt-action rifle chambered in 5.56 NATO that I know of and .223 seems rather decent in the accuracy department.

Now, I have to think about assembling the economy varmint battery:

1. .17 HMR bolt-action rifle for serious budget squeak, bunny, skunk, crow, coon and fox control every day on ranch or farm
    2. .223 bolt-action rifle maybe for both kinds of "dogs" and bobcat or when I feel like spending a little more money to blow up rats just for fun

I can't see where a .22LR would fit there for practical reasons. Maybe rats in the barn?
    22-250 is not useless. TONS of dog hunters stand by it.

Not sure what your calling long range for gophers... my thermal AR is a tack driver out to 320yrds.

Here is the .17hmr you seek https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=70847

And here is your .223 https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57361

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A 17HMR will work fine for coyotes. My friends dad in Montana uses one. It's all about shot placement. The yotes up there are large too. Bobcat are generally smaller than foxes (at least the one's I've shot) so same pill for them. Only downside I have with my 17 is the further out the shot, the more sporadic the bullet is.
    I'll second that.

Wind beats it up pretty good past 100yrds....

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

The wind plays hell with the 17 HMR! I have seen mine drift as much as 8 to 10 inches at 100 yards!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I’ve never understood why people want to kill armadillos. They are harmless creatures that eat grubs and don’t hurt a damn thing.

Mystifies me why people want to shoot them. A damn shame if you ask me.

For the most part I agree, but they can be as bad as gophers or prairie dogs at digging holes in pastures and yards and can cause lots of damage to land if left unchecked.

The few I have around here stay pretty far from the manicured part of our yard, so I just let them be.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have a Vanguard by Weatherby in mind in .223 for 'yotes and squeaks, any unwelcome little non-game critters on a farm or a ranch. Do these guns shoot worth a hoot? Any person here have a Vanguard in .223? How tight are the groups? I know I could get a lot done with a 22 rimfire but it warms my heart to see a ground squirrel blown to kingdom come with a centerfire cartridge bullet. I sometimes blow up these little "Rockies" when visiting my brother's ranch in NorCal with my Browning BOSS in .25-06 but that is a deer rifle. I'm about 1 for 2 with that gun on squeaks. I want a rifle in a true centerfire varmint chambering. .22-250 can be rather pricey but .223 ammo can had in bulk for a song.
    I see you left the .204 Ruger out. When talking varmint calibers, you should consider it. It’s a pretty smart round.

GoatFarmer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Texas
    I see you left the .204 Ruger out. When talking varmint calibers, you should consider it. It’s a pretty smart round.
    a bit on the spendy side per shot: for nasty little things, I don't want to spend more than 30 cents on its death per critter even if that means buying online in bulk...there is the money conspiracy in all this

at least in bulk, 500-count, .223, .22LR and .17 HMR are on the 30 minus cents side per pop even now in the ammo scarcity

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I’ve never understood why people want to kill armadillos. They are harmless creatures that eat grubs and don’t hurt a damn thing.

Mystifies me why people want to shoot them. A damn shame if you ask me.
    Hahaha "harmless" creatures that burrow and dig up your pier-and-beam foundations...

I like them, but not around the house.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom