How do you adjust your mirrors?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
Ive recently changed my mirrors to where they are set out more. I cant see any of my own car and i dont see a car behind me in more than one mirror. I pick up a car behind me in the rearview mirror in the car then as it passes m it moves from the main mirror to the side mirror. I never lose the car, there is no blind spot.

The only disadvantage i could see on this is while backing up or backing up a trailer you may need to adjust them.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
May 11, 2009
H-Town, TX
With the power button. :laughing:

I've got mine adjusted to where I can just see the faint edge of the body and where the bottom is low enough that I can see if something is on the ground when I'm backing up. I've also got little blind spot dots on the inside bottom edge that allow me to see if anybody is in what would be the blind spot.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
With the power button. :laughing:

I've got mine adjusted to where I can just see the faint edge of the body and where the bottom is low enough that I can see if something is on the ground when I'm backing up. I've also got little blind spot dots on the inside bottom edge that allow me to see if anybody is in what would be the blind spot.
That may be best of both worlds. I dont have a fancy new car but i have driven ones that move the mirrors in and down while backing up

Kennydale

Jun 3, 2013
Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
I like keeping my mirror on drivers side out on the far side. I do lean forward before changing lanes to get the BIG PICTURE. On blind side i keep mirror centered more and have gotten into habit of a quick head turn to double check lane safety. (Retired truck driver 30+ years)

SR9TEX

Sep 23, 2013
Out as far as possible but I can still see down the body line of the truck.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
Ive recently changed my mirrors to where they are set out more. I cant see any of my own car and i dont see a car behind me in more than one mirror. I pick up a car behind me in the rearview mirror in the car then as it passes m it moves from the main mirror to the side mirror. I never lose the car, there is no blind spot.

The only disadvantage i could see on this is while backing up or backing up a trailer you may need to adjust them.
You are doing it right now. If you can see the side of you car with your outside mirrors, then you have those mirrors overlapping area the inside mirror covers. By doing that you lose areas that the outside mirrors could be seeing.

You should have minimal, if any, area where you need to turn your head to see.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver
I've been doing this for years. Your situational awareness is much, much better. No more blind spots.

Doesn't work well with a trailer, but you really should have specialized mirrors (at the very least some stick-on parabolics) for that.

Backing up isn't a big deal. Turn your damn head and look(!!!), and a slight lean to either side will give you a view of the car's body. Now, some newer cars are in the habit of pointing mirrors at the ground any time you put the car in reverse. Annoying and useless. I know where the ground is, thanks...

shortround

TGT Addict
Jan 24, 2011
Grid 0409
A very old man advised me long ago to adjust the driver's side door mirror by watching the mirror while moving the head to the left until it touched the window. Then, adjust the mirror until you can just barely see the left side of the vehicle. For the passenger side mirror, sit upright and adjust it until you can just barely see the right side of your vehicle.

The best advice he gave me, was "Always look in your inside rear view mirror first, then check your outside mirrors.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
Jul 24, 2011
Conroe, TX
A very old man advised me long ago to adjust the driver's side door mirror by watching the mirror while moving the head to the left until it touched the window. Then, adjust the mirror until you can just barely see the left side of the vehicle. For the passenger side mirror, sit upright and adjust it until you can just barely see the right side of your vehicle.

The best advice he gave me, was "Always look in your inside rear view mirror first, then check your outside mirrors.
Thats how mines adjusted. I dont see a point in seeimg my vehicle halfway in the mirror. As long as i can see straight down the sides of the body or tail end of vehicle and majority of the road and lane lines its perfect. Most vehicles ive driven do not have a rear view mirror so the two outsides are all youve got.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion
Drockton Bullion

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads