Military Camp

How do you choose parts to build an AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I buy mil spec parts from reputable suppliers. Put a free floating hand guard, quality trigger and good barrel on the AR and you'll have a great AR. For barrels, I like AR Performance since they are melonite treated and very accurate. 1/8 twist works great for the heavy bullets (69+ grs). Decent scope helps too.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I agree with most of that, but why the gas block? If it poops enough gas to cycle the action who cares? I understand it with a can though.
    I'd just be worried about getting one that doesn't line up exactly with upper the way it should. It's probably just a personal quirk. Just like wanting my lower and upper to match so there's as little play as possible.

I've gone back and forth about buying a complete upper vs building it...I'd really like to learn how to do it and I have a friend who can teach me, so I'm leaning toward that.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I buy mil spec parts from reputable suppliers. Put a free floating hand guard, quality trigger and good barrel on the AR and you'll have a great AR. For barrels, I like AR Performance since they are melonite treated and very accurate. 1/8 twist works great for the heavy bullets (69+ grs). Decent scope helps too.
    Thanks for the name drops

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I'd just be worried about getting one that doesn't line up exactly with upper the way it should. It's probably just a personal quirk. Just like wanting my lower and upper to match so there's as little play as possible.

I've gone back and forth about buying a complete upper vs building it...I'd really like to learn how to do it and I have a friend who can teach me, so I'm leaning toward that.

The gas ports on every gasblock I've seen are quite a bit larger than the gas port on the barrel.

Just get a gasblock from a reputable company (VLTOR, BCM, Geissele, etc)

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Ok, good to know. Working in the auto industry, I see different manufacturers make the same part and all the parts will be different. I guess working around that for 15 years now has me skeptical when you start mixing brands of any type of part.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I've looked through a number of videos on AR-15 builds and they are pretty thorough in the how-to. But, how do you choose the different components? Quality vs. price? The only thing I come up with immediately, is that if the part costs more, it must be better quality. That only works if you have a bottomless pit of money. Any general advice from the community?
    It all depends on what you want to do with your AR. Look at pictures and builds and have a picture of what you want.

On the lower- First pick your look and design. Do you want billet or a standard forged receiver? What designs do you want? I like matching lowers to the upper for smaller seams. LPKs are very similar. Try and find one that has a good trigger for your purposes. You can even get a kit and buy another trigger (whatever AR trigger you want). CMMG, Palmetto State, Anderson, Spikes are good LPKs. Make sure you have the buffer tube(A2, carbine, pistol) and pistol grip you want.

The upper- TONS OF DIFFERENT OPTIONS. I can rarely find exactly what I want fully assembled. If you find something you like already put together from Spikes, PSA, Smith & Wesson, or whoever just buy it. Otherwise you've got a lot of options so you need to have an idea of what you want and plan how you're going to finance and build it.

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    I'm waiting on the last couple of pieces to show up in the mail on Friday for my first ever AR build. When I started before Christmas last year I had no idea what I wanted to build except something cheaper than $1k. Anderson lower for $40 was the first part. After the lower was bought, I started looking a pictures of rifles as well as what what in stores. I was not going to spend $2k on a rifle. I'm not in that line of work. After figuring out the look, I simply had to find the parts such as a flash can. A KAK flash can for $30 does me just fine instead of $125 for a Noveske Flamin' Pig one. A couple of Magpul 30 round magazines on sale at Cabelas for under $11 each. A 16 inch barrel for $110. Just find a part here and there. Have that look in your mind of what you what. You can build a quality rifle with budget prices. Heck, my keymod 16.5" rail cost me $81. Yeah, it's probably made in China but I saved $100.

contact

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2016
    Quality. I buy the best parts money can buy so I won't be tempted into upgrading later on, because well, I literally can't.

Buy once, cry one. ;)

My favorites: JP, Salt Works Rifles, Vortex, Fortis, V7 Weapon Systems, etc.

Most of the high end parts I purchased for my AR build I couldn't buy locally.

However, that doesn't mean the most expensive parts are always the best.

I got my BCG from ADK Arms for $130, everyone else is priced at $200-$300 and upwards. (AR10 example)

It functions flawlessly.

Last edited:

smee78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    I made my decisions base on the rifles use, it was a ballance between cost and quality. I also put it all on a list and watched them and ordered them when they went on sale. I was in no rush so I just took my time.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm no expert but I've assembled about 20 lowers in the last 2 years and maybe 6-7 uppers.

#1 advice is get the right assembly tools. Roll pin punches, work surface, little nylon block worth so much, brass and nylon hammer, good AR assembly wrench.
    Spend a meager $100 on the stuff. Saves in headaches.

Parts kits have been in short supply.

Little intangibles like the correct bevel on roll pins to start them count immeasurably.

Rock River, for me, has been the best. https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=388
    A while back they ran a special with lower parts and a 2-stage trigger for less than $100 bucks. If I see that one again I'll buy a dozen!!!

The biggest lower option that matters a lot is the trigger and stock. I like Magpul UBRs and PRSs. Triggers.....you'll find whole threads and web sites devoted.

Uppers can just be a real pisser to get right and that's where the insanely high pressures must be correctly handled!
    Go slow and enjoy.

I've taken some primal pleasure in teaching teens and twenty-somethings about AR assembly.
    A skill all red blooded American young men should be exposed to.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom