How do you choose parts to build an AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flashgor_99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2015
    I've looked through a number of videos on AR-15 builds and they are pretty thorough in the how-to. But, how do you choose the different components? Quality vs. price? The only thing I come up with immediately, is that if the part costs more, it must be better quality. That only works if you have a bottomless pit of money. Any general advice from the community?
    Guns International

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It all depends on where you want to end up with the rifle. Obviously budget builds are different than high end builds, and the purpose makes a big difference too. If you want a long range rifle, CQB rifle, or a "do all" rifle the shopping is different. In the end brand preference plays a big part too.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    For what I'm doing, I chose specific, critical parts for the build (upper, lower, barrel, bolt) and get the other stuff as cheaply as possible - to go into a truck gun. I figure I can upgrade stuff like a charging handle, BCG etc. later if I want.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    After I did the research. AR parts were chosen for the type of metal they were made of. Both alloy and the type of steel used to build the barrel. That was the first qualification.

The second was the testing that had been done. Such things as magnetic particle inspection, etc.

Third, was twist rate, barrel length, and how pretty the makers stamp was on the side of the receiver.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    what ever was on sale

Agree and add to that for ya'. Whatever was on sale as long as it isn't junk. And as said earlier, what you're going to do with it makes a lot of difference; target shooting, hunting, truck gun, etc.

I'm in the process of building an AR "truck" pistol. I'll get a good bolt & carrier, barrel, and trigger. Other parts won't be that critical to me.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I cant out shoot even a crappy AR :) so no need to waste money on the good stuff.

gundoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    New Braunfels
    Purpose. What is it? Figure that out and a configuration is easier to nail down. I prefer to get receivers and BCG from a single source. That way you have one set of tolerance on the 3 most important parts. Helps with reliability. Stay away from CavArms amd Mako. Their parts suck. If you have any other questions shoot me a message. I'm glad to help.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    d'Armi_beretta and I are wanting to do AR builds together. I think it's important that at least the upper, lower, gas block, and barrel all come from the same place, so I'll probably look and see who has what to offer. From there, it's really just going to be what I think feels good. I'll want a trigger that breaks nice. I'll want a stock that fits nice, and so on.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    d'Armi_beretta and I are wanting to do AR builds together. I think it's important that at least the upper, lower, gas block, and barrel all come from the same place, so I'll probably look and see who has what to offer. From there, it's really just going to be what I think feels good. I'll want a trigger that breaks nice. I'll want a stock that fits nice, and so on.

Curious why all from the same place? I've built a couple of AR'S and would suggest you build a cheap one first to get a idea how to do the build. Second I found that the price for a partially assembled upper is worth the 20 bucks more.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    I dunno was just curious. I think that they are built to the same tolerances. So they are modular by design. Some will have more play than others. This only applies to the AR 15 style not the 308 variants.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    The upper/lower on my Windham has more play than my Stag. Functionally, they both operate fine. But that hair of play on my Windham does irritate me a little.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Don't cheap out (buy poor quality parts) on the barrel, trigger, and BCG

Just do lots of research.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I have a theory that the Windham is that way because they outsource a lot of thier parts. I'm not sure if lowers and uppers are made in house.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I just figured if they're all from the same place, they'll have a better fit. Is this not the case?

Not really. There is, for lack of a better term, an amount of "wiggle room" in the specs, so a part can be .01" off, and still be in spec.

A little bit of wiggle won't effect accuracy or function, but if it does bother you, you can get a matched set from various places

flashgor_99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2015
    Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of a cheap build to learn then going for better quality. Maybe go that way first.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Milspec lower.
    Milspec upper reciever.
    Everything else is what Txarguy recommended and GZP packaged for me.

1:8 stainless, 16".
    One of a handfull free float handguard.

It shoots better than me.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I agree with most of that, but why the gas block? If it poops enough gas to cycle the action who cares? I understand it with a can though.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom