• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    So quail has always been the bird we hunted (when I was a kid). My Grandpaw & Dad took me quail hunting at least a dozen times. We always fried the meat (we fried everything back then). So I’ve never hunted dove although I’m wanting to give it a try. What are the most popular ways you guys cook your dove?
    Lynx Defense

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Fillet them, put the breasts into halved jalapenos filled with cream cheese, wrap in bacon, grill.

t urn into fajitas. Either will work.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I’ve always done it wrapped in bacon with jalapeño. When I was a kid my mother would bake them with gravy. Just this morning I heard from a member on this forum how great dove fajitas are.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    So...I’ve had dove several different ways - so many in fact I’m worried about sounding like Bubba rambling on about shrimp...[Forrest Gump reference]
    The way I do it these days is to cut the breasts off the bone, dry them apply salt, pepper and garlic powder; wrap them in bacon with a silver of jalapeño and a sliver of of yellow onion - and slowly smoke them over medium low heat.
    I have a gas grill and I put the birds on the “off burner” while the other burner is on med-low with a tray of water soaked wood chips over it creating smoke on the “hot” side.
    It’s really a no-fail method.
    Growing up I ate them chicken-friends and grilled whole.
    One time I boned the breasts and baked them into a pie full of gravy - that was stoopidly good.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Breasted, meat filleted off the bone, jalapeno inbetween the breast halves, wrapped in Wrights bacon, marinated in Coca Cola and soy sauce ,cooked over mesquite coals.
    second time I’ve heard about Coke and soy sauce...very interested! What’s the background on this preparation?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I cooked this bunch up tonight for supper that we got Sunday evening
    20180903_180037.jpg

Halved jalapeno, philly cream cheese breast had been marinated in teriyaki and other seasonings, and wrapped in bacon
    Sides were grilled mushrooms and bell peppers and sweet potato fries
    Amazing

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    So...I’ve had dove several different ways - so many in fact I’m worried about sounding like Bubba rambling on about shrimp...[Forrest Gump reference]
    The way I do it these days is to cut the breasts off the bone, dry them apply salt, pepper and garlic powder; wrap them in bacon with a silver of jalapeño and a sliver of of yellow onion - and slowly smoke them over medium low heat.
    I have a gas grill and I put the birds on the “off burner” while the other burner is on med-low with a tray of water soaked wood chips over it creating smoke on the “hot” side.
    It’s really a no-fail method.
    Growing up I ate them chicken-friends and grilled whole.
    One time I boned the breasts and baked them into a pie full of gravy - that was stoopidly good.

34fc7a024866fa0a04cbded15f2bb0af.jpg

Dove in the bottom right corner

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I cooked this bunch up tonight for supper that we got Sunday evening
    View attachment 147653
    Halved jalapeno, philly cream cheese breast had been marinated in teriyaki and other seasonings, and wrapped in bacon
    Sides were grilled mushrooms and bell peppers and sweet potato fries
    Amazing
    Dude! You got drool on my iPad.

Top Bottom