Texas SOT

How do you know if you have too much gun for your scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    After graduating HS, my grandfather gave me a Tasco scope. Its like a 8-24 power scope. I put it on my 7mm remington mag. . .

Anyway, how do you know if you need a better scope? Does it just not keep zero? Does the scope explode? I've been thinking about replacing it with a Redfield or a Nikkon.

I'm not getting groups like I think I should. 4" or 5+" at 100 yards. I know I'm not the best marksman out there, but I think I'm a little better than that.

Maybe I'll try some different grained ammo while I'm at it.
    DK Firearms

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Not to sidetrack this thread, but how do you like your Remington 7 mag?

And you should easily be doing better than that with the scope, but it could be a variety of factors causing it. Have you tried a different scope? Do you zero it in with a bore laser?

Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I'll just give you my 2 cents. I have never had a good experience with one. I find the tascos cheap and not durable. I had one on my pellet rifle and when I tried to focus the scope the whole reticle moved. Not good for tasco.

30+GSXR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I found out about 2 weeks ago. I borrowed my bosses AR-10 'brand new & never been fired" / mighty nice of me to break it in for him :) right ?

Anyway's - I went down to Academy and purchased a $69.00 BSA 4x scope for the rifle. After 50 rounds, the reticle inside the scope tube turned about 30degrees to the right. It appears it had broken loose on the inside from the recoil of the rifle.

Well, once again I was reminded of the saying, "You get what you pay for".

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Not to sidetrack this thread, but how do you like your Remington 7 mag?

And you should easily be doing better than that with the scope, but it could be a variety of factors causing it. Have you tried a different scope? Do you zero it in with a bore laser?

1st, I like the 7mm remington mag. Its probably more gun than you need for anything in Texas. . . . Recoil makes shooting more than 20 or so rounds to be painful. But overall, I like it. I killed a deer with it a couple years ago. I hope to get better so I can make longer shots with it.

I've got a bore laser thing, but I got it bore sighted at the range last time I was there. I haven't tried a different scope. This is the only one that is mine. . . .and my grandpa gave it to me.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    On a sharp recoiling rifle or any firearm that gets used, all scopes are prone to wear out. If it's hitting 4 or more inch groups at 100, first make sure its not you, have someone else who hasnt shot the rifle put 3 rounds through it and see how they land, second if the first doesnt work, check the base and ring screws, they can easily get jarred a bit loose then the whole rig wobbles. If 1 and 2 don't work, then you have a worn out scope. Tasco's Bushnells, BSA's and a number of other brands have weak friction springs supporting the tube. If those rings are worn, with every shot there will be a different zero on the scope. I've gone through 3 different weaver K-4's due to spring problems.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    In my el cheapo days, I ordered and hung on my chinese SKS one of those bargain Chinese SKS scopes.....After a few rounds the damned crosshairs went out of sight almost. Scope, file ten, the wastebasket, brain, don't buy junk....SKs pretty good old rifle, don't look it will ever wear out....Better scopes on better rifles...SKS plinker's iron sights okay....Bought a Tasco World Class scope for a good rifle, piece of (censored) threw it away, too. Buy good products !

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Cheap scopes will work fine for a while on a low recoiling rifle, but you do get what you pay for. Look at the lower end scopes from the big name manufacturers, like Leupold, if money is an issue. Leopold sells a 3-9 power Vari-I scope for about $200, and is guaranteed forever. Your scope is also too high powered, unless you are shooting very long range or at small varmints in my opinion. I would also recommend trying different weight and quality of ammo. The best rifle in the world will shoot 4" groups with junk or the wrong weight ammo.

c_m_shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    Not trying to be offensive here, but see if you can get some of Remington's reduced recoil ammo and see if that helps. 7mm mag is not a caliber that most people can shoot to its capabilities. Your 8-24x scope is a varmint scope probably intended to go on a .223 or .243, your mag will really put a beating on that big thing. If you go scope shopping a good quality 3-9x or 4-12x is plenty.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Rule of thumb: you should spend as much on glass as you spent on the rifle.

Tascos suck. I put one of their 4x Pronghorns on my .22 and it couldn't hold zero. Also beware cheap rings. Get quality rings or don't bother buying optics.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Rule of thumb: you should spend as much on glass as you spent on the rifle.

Tascos suck. I put one of their 4x Pronghorns on my .22 and it couldn't hold zero. Also beware cheap rings. Get quality rings or don't bother buying optics.

I think with all the options and good quality glass coming out these days.. and especially if you don't plan on shooting past a few hundred yards.. spend as much money as you can on your rifle.. I think nikon has some really nice clear glass coming out.. and their BDC reticle is pretty nice. I don't know a ton about hunting glass as I shoot long range. I have a tasco 3-9 world class though.. I have had it on mini 14's, ar-15, ar-10, and its about to go onto a 300 wsm.. It has held up fine and I got it used about 6 years ago.. So iunno.

But as someone said above if you are shooting 100 yards.. Get yourself a quality 3-9 ..

I think good rings and a good base are very important as well.. Once you get your scope zeroed.. keep it snug. torque it correctly and I know hunting is hunting.. but try not to bang it on the deer blind as you get in and out.. If your scope is off you really are SHIT OUT OF LUCK

Duman44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    I'm have a Nikon Monarch 4-16 with a 50MM 0bjective on my Ruger M77 7 mag. I reload, but have found the standard 140 grain ammo for the 7 mag is not the best option for my rifle. Until I got up to 160 gr, I was getting 2-3" MOA. I shoot 162 gr. partitons for hunting and they are good for .75 MOA in my gun.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    1st, I like the 7mm remington mag. Its probably more gun than you need for anything in Texas. . . . Recoil makes shooting more than 20 or so rounds to be painful. But overall, I like it. I killed a deer with it a couple years ago. I hope to get better so I can make longer shots with it.

I've got a bore laser thing, but I got it bore sighted at the range last time I was there. I haven't tried a different scope. This is the only one that is mine. . . .and my grandpa gave it to me.

Thanks, I own a bunch of Mosin-Nagants, so I know what shoulder separation feels like. I like guns that kick big, as long as they are accurate!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom