• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Got a black rubber recoil pad that has become scuffed and dull around the edges and sides.

Does anyone know of a product or technique that will return the rubber back to a gloss black finish?

I don't want anything that will rub off onto my shirt or a paint that will flake off. I've tried spray on tire dressing, just does not last more than a few hours. Then I have the same scuffed look.

Thanks for any advice.
    Lynx Defense

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The tire stuff would have been my first guess. What about a large black felt tip marker? I've used this to cover some writing on black straps and after a couple of applications it seem to work. Just a guess.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Two things I would try. Black sharpie and or get one of the dollar store shoe shine kits that are just an impregnated foam pad vice a can of black polish.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I am going to try the felt tip marker, hopefully that will not rub off. Then see if Armor All will shine it up after it dries.

Just figured there was a specific product out there for this.

Thanks,

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Two ways this can be fixed. The easy way, get a replacement. Unless it is rare or unique it might end up cheaper to replace it. The other way, try and find a product that will renew the rubber. If you want to renew it, try silicon spray. Or if you are brave, try ATF. I think it would be fine but I am not sure how that would affect the rubber, but it will shine it up. Have fun.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Thanks guys, got it fixed. Took a Magnum 44 black permanent marker and coated it several times. Let it sit overnight and checked it this morning to see if it would rub off on a white towel. Once satisfied that it would not come off, coated it with Armor All to shine it up and am now good to go.

Thanks for all the advice.

LJH, problem is that the pad was the new one, LOL. The scratching and scuffing are from installing it and getting it to fit a modified stock.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I realize you already fixed it but HD makes a spray for bikes that turns older "sun bleached" rubber back to black, I have used it before with great success.

Top Bottom