Military Camp

How do you REALLY feel about plastic guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    0B576B92-E2F6-4CF4-A7D5-E9FF76F8B66E.jpeg
    Target Sports

Attachments

• 0B576B92-E2F6-4CF4-A7D5-E9FF76F8B66E.jpeg
      0B576B92-E2F6-4CF4-A7D5-E9FF76F8B66E.jpeg
      43.9 KB · Views: 350

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Everyone is talking about plastic handguns. Don't forget that Remington had a rifle with a lot of plastic. The Nylon 66 was, and still is, a fine little rifle.

DSC_0050.JPG?ixlib=rb-3.1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0050.JPG?ixlib=rb-3.1.jpg
      DSC_0050.JPG?ixlib=rb-3.1.jpg
      31.9 KB · Views: 365

just country

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    morning, model 21 13 rounds 45. that works.
    model 20 10mm add 6"barrel. gods hammer.
    Colt Delta Elite SS 10mm. a work of art.
    love all models. justme gbot tum

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I like 'em all... except Glocks. Don't like asparagus either.

A gun that seems much heavier than it should be is the Springfield EMP. If I ever find myself needing to pistol whip somebody or drive tent pegs or such that's the go to.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I carry my most expensive metal frame and my plastics. I buy them because they're reliable, accurate and ergonomic. If they weren't reliable, I wouldn't own them, with the exception of sentimental value, and if that's the case it wouldn't be a carry pistol. My point is it's nice that it's cheaper, just a convenient bonus, not a requirement. An added convenient plus for metal frames is I find the perceived recoil to be more pleasant, since they're typically heavier.

Also I do not believe polymer pistol frames are composites. Both a well designed and manufactured metal frame vs polymer frame could easily be structurally equal when it comes to handling loading and pressures that are required of a handgun, assuming no design flaws or error in manufacturing. Added strength over what is required for a lifetime of function may exist in one vs the other, but it makes no difference because they'll still both outlive their original owner.
    Understand your first point now. I have run across a number of folks who advocate carrying a cheap (not the same as inexpensive) weapon for the reason initially cited.

The difficulties of NDT apply to polymers (and you are probably correct there) as well as composites.

As to the final sentence, that is where I am in a different situation. My guns are intended to be handed down to many generations to follow, as I fear they may not be able to buy guns one day. So I am looking for a longer service life.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If you were a lady, specifically a lady who had done her duty of delivering three babies into this world and has the bladder to show for it, and when well hydrated has to drop and pull up her drawers with a gun belt and pistol attached about once each hour... no way you would be loving a heavy metal firearm. Plastic would be your friend.
    Thankfully, I am not...

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    If you were a lady, specifically a lady who had done her duty of delivering three babies into this world and has the bladder to show for it, and when well hydrated has to drop and pull up her drawers with a gun belt and pistol attached about once each hour... no way you would be loving a heavy metal firearm. Plastic would be your friend.

So are you offering proof that plastic pistols are a woman’s gun? Mom’s gun? Girlie man’s gun?

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Understand your first point now. I have run across a number of folks who advocate carrying a cheap (not the same as inexpensive) weapon for the reason initially cited.

The difficulties of NDT apply to polymers (and you are probably correct there) as well as composites.

As to the final sentence, that is where I am in a different situation. My guns are intended to be handed down to many generations to follow, as I fear they may not be able to buy guns one day. So I am looking for a longer service life.
    I do find metal firearms to be more aesthetically pleasing. I have no doubt either would last through several generations of they're properly maintained, like most well made machines.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I own and enjoy both. My current pistol inventory is 57% polymer. If you add revolvers into the mix, the ratio changes to around 55% metal framed. I do prefer the aesthetics of a metal and wood pistol, but I don't shy away from plastic fantastics. I still don't like Glocks. I keep thinking I'll enjoy the latest models, and buy one but then sell it shortly afterwards. They just don't fit my hands. That being said, I'm currently considering acquiring a Gen 5 G19 or maybe even the mullet Glock.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I sold my 1911 and bought a Glock 21, which has never jammed. Bought after shooting with a buddy. Same box of reloads, his 21 never spit the bit. My 1911 choked on about every third round.

Shot Blue Angel's PPQ, and bought one shortly after. Nice shooting gun.

Liked my BILs Glock 26, so I bought one of those too.

Hated my Sig 2022. Patently inaccurate, sold it within 6 months.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Plastic guns tend to be lighter and that makes them more pleasant to carry. The gun you carry is better than the one you don't...

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Funny all these youngsters bitching about polymer pistols! Same most are to young to remember American made steel cars. And by steel I mean the dashboard, steering wheel & all the other metal thats now plastic.

Top Bottom