• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Mito, Japan/Georgetown, Texas
    Have several 22`s that can take all forms Short Longs and LR. I also have some AR`s on the way. Just wondering how the 22 WMR compares to the 223. Looking for light hunting. Tree rats, rabbits, and the likes. Sound, distance and power and cost per round are what I am wondering about. If I got the 22 WMR I would want to be able to swap barrels to a 17 HMR. Honestly more worried about the rimfire and noise limitations and not being able to use the .223. Does Texas or surrounding states have a rimfire only season that the 22 WMR would be needed for?
    DK Firearms

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There is a huge difference between .223 Remington and .22 WMR.

.223 drives a 55 gr. bullet at 3,200 FPS

.22 WMR drives a 50 gr. bullet at 1,650 FPS

The .223 is considerably louder, four times as powerful, effective out to 600 yards, and is more expensive, but reloadable. It also can be legally used for deer since it is centerfire.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    You can shoot squirrels, rabbits and things like that with rimfires, but not deer. The .22 WMR is basically a souped up .22, while the .223 is in a whole 'nuther class.

Use the .22 or .22 WMR for plinking or small varmits.

Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    So the only benefit for the 22 WMR in texas is less distance and sound basically? Just trying to decide if there is a need for another rimfire when we have many many already. The only thing I can see shooting with a rimfire is a skunk or similar from 20 yards, and I don't think the LR or WMR will make much of a distance at that range. More money to spend Probably should wait and spend that money on the evil guns while I still can.

Nodena Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Downtown Nodena-NE Texas
    I grab the .17 now days to shoot large carnivorous predators(no bears...not that large)....it's so accurate you can absolutely hit'em right smak dab between the lights at a long distance (100 yds or so). Very lethal out to 200 or better. Little biddy hole, lots of internal damage and does minimal damage to the pelt. The pelts make extrodinary rugs and something to decorate the wall of the Tee Pee ..... I call it my silent killer. Then out comes the .223 or 22 250 for the hard to reach places...............Hey Ed, I've been reading your stuff and it is very well written and accurate as well... I know absolutely nothing about Falconery but sounds interesting and think I saw one on the ranch around mid October.... nearly crow sized bird, dark gray and ivory in color, wings tucked moving extremely fast. At least I hope it was some kind of Falcon.........Good shooting .....Hey Dust, My lay advice is to save up and buy a .17 and a NICE .223 rifle. There's a place for both of them on the same hunt.

Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    I was thinking about finding a gun that took both 22 wmr and 17 hmr barrels, that was easily swappable. A 20" heavy and a bull barrel are on the way with a 7.62x39 carbine for the bigger stuff. Haven't seen groups yet, but I think that the 20"ers will shoot better than me or the ammo I feed them.

If you could get good brass 223 ammo for 28 cents a pop, would you still shoot your 17 hmr or 22 mag?

Nodena Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Downtown Nodena-NE Texas
    Well, there you go....Get a Thompson and just swap barrels. Good idea Dust. I don't own any Thompson rifles but my best buddy that I neighbor with to the SW swears by them and he 'aint' no rookie when it comes to shooting. He's so good he taught his son so well, the boy shoots on the AMU now. He was on the President's 100 at 17 years old before he signed with the Army. How's that for a testimonial?....... Oh the .17....Yep.....'cause it's just a fun little rifle to shoot....I still shoot .223......got one within arms reach when riding around in truck.

Patrón

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have the AR's coming. Right now it's down to two rimfire bolts, or a 77/22 wmr with an extra barrel.

Don't underestimate the .22wmr, compared to the .223 it's tiny but still a pretty good round for coyotes and smaller.

good luck finding the 77/22, i can't find one anywhere.

Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    I've got one located and it comes with a good deal on 2000 rounds of ammo, but I can spend that money on a 308 Savage and an extra .243 barrel.

Choose the 22 wmr and ammo

or

308 Savage plus 243 barrel

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    good luck finding the 77/22, i can't find one anywhere.

I was in the market for a 77/22wmr stainless a few weeks back. There were none to be found at any shops in Houston, so with the help of a buddy, I discovered GalleryofGuns.com. In case you are unfamiliar, you can find use their dealer/inventory search feature to order one. After ordering, my rifle was delivered in three days to a local dealer for me to pickup.

Patrón

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    San Antonio
    I was in the market for a 77/22wmr stainless a few weeks back. There were none to be found at any shops in Houston, so with the help of a buddy, I discovered GalleryofGuns.com. In case you are unfamiliar, you can find use their dealer/inventory search feature to order one. After ordering, my rifle was delivered in three days to a local dealer for me to pickup.
    thanks for the tip! iv'e been wanting the 77/22wmr since it's debut, but started looking seriosly this winter and can't find one.

edit: i'm looking for the 10/22 in the .22 wmr calibre forgot the exact model number and it's not the 77/22 i thought it was.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring

Damnit TXSUT. I thought we were friends. Now you introduce me to yet another way to be parted with my cash, Galleryof Guns.com. I never heard of this till now. Damnit, damnit.

huck finn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    san antonio
    You don’t compare a 22wmr to a .223 but as stated the .17 is dramatic on critters, with no recoil so you can actually see a pigs eyes bulge with a head shot. and much quieter than a 22 wmr. Another option cost not prohibiting, the 204 ruger at 4000 fps its hell on wheels

Top Bottom